Checking Cows!

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I been hauling water to an old cow thats gimpy from stepping in a hole or something-- today I remembered to take a camera and snapped a few pictures of the cows as I drove thru them...Temp isn't as high as the 40's we had yesterday- but it is 30 and no wind today...And as you can see these old gals are enjoying it and the sunshine....

BobbieBDay2007001.jpg

A couple of the girls taking in the sun and chewing their cud...

BobbieBDay2007002.jpg

A first calf heifer...

BobbieBDay2007005.jpg

A couple more old girls-- the cow in the foreground is 10 years old and less than a 5 frame- but she brings in a big healthy calf every year- and it doesn't look like the winter is hurting her any yet.....

BobbieBDay2007006.jpg

Someone on one of the sites was worried about my cows welfare out grazing with no supplement the other day...This is a coming 5 year old- under 6 frame cow- that weaned a 650 lb steer calf the end of Oct. (born April 3)- and is still fat enough to butcher....

BobbieBDay2007008.jpg

Same cow-posing for me now....

BobbieBDay2007007.jpg

This one wouldn't pose :roll: #97- the cow in the middle of the picture with 2 eartags is a 2nd calf heifer....Even those odd colored cows are doing pretty good ;-)

I noticed today that all it takes is sun for the cows to start basking. Of course they're doing it standing up but they all have their sides to the sun.

Cows look fat and sassy. But where your winter at man? I thought you guys had winter out there. We have a couple feet of snow here and I'm not bragging. I'm complaining.

Yes I will have to agree with RKM, those cows are fat and sassy, but in good condition. I would rather see those cattle like that, rather than skin and bones.

THG

rkm":buihkwza said:
Cows look fat and sassy. But where your winter at man? I thought you guys had winter out there. We have a couple feet of snow here and I'm not bragging. I'm complaining.

Most of the snow and storms have been going south, east, and north of us :D We had a couple inches of snow- then it warmed up and chinooked and took our snow...Yesterday was in the 40's (with 30 mph winds)-- today got to 35....And according to the weather boys this weather pattern could hold out thru the New Year :D :D
And I'm not complaining... ;-) :lol:

sedrick_hall":2gs38vc5 said:
That is a nice looking bunch of cows. What do those cows weigh?

Average weight is about 1200-1250 (remember they are in the 4-5- not over 6 frame height)...But that 77 cow that is so fat probably is closer to 1400...I sold a 6 frame this summer that had lost her calf- and was hog fat before I got her to market and she weighed 1650....
But those deep old easy fleshing girls seem to be able to put on weight fast- hold their weight good even while raising a good calf (steers average 620- heifers 575) if we have a little green grass - and then stay in good condition thruout the winter months on a minimum of input....
If we don't get any snow/storms to amount to anything- I will graze them until about February before I start giving them a little hay to keep them in shape for calving the end of March...

Oldtimer":396tydok said:
sedrick_hall":396tydok said:

Average weight is about 1200-1250 (remember they are in the 4-5- not over 6 frame height)...But that 77 cow that is so fat probably is closer to 1400...I sold a 6 frame this summer that had lost her calf- and was hog fat before I got her to market and she weighed 1650....
But those deep old easy fleshing girls seem to be able to put on weight fast- hold their weight good even while raising a good calf (steers average 620- heifers 575) if we have a little green grass - and then stay in good condition thruout the winter months on a minimum of input....
If we don't get any snow/storms to amount to anything- I will graze them until about February before I start giving them a little hay to keep them in shape for calving the end of March...

We don't have that kind of weather where I'm from. I'm always amazed to see cows hold condition like that in an environment like yours with little input.

Oldtimer":2sfh50r4 said:
sedrick_hall":2sfh50r4 said:

Don't change your recipe, it seems that you are where I aim to be regarding type and easy doing ability

sedrick_hall":3rxewqje said:
Oldtimer":3rxewqje said:
sedrick_hall":3rxewqje said:

We don't have that kind of weather where I'm from. I'm always amazed to see cows hold condition like that in an environment like yours with little input.

Those cows would have melted in that 111 degree heat we had last summer.

Either that, or they would have never gotten out of the ponds and creeks.

iowahawkeyes":361hgehx said:
I like your cows. I also like that no eared red cow, got a little character to her.

There are several more of those no or little eared ones- both reds and blacks....We keep a lot of them for replacements, since the buyers always discount them- and I always thought it showed a genetic "will to live" and vigor if they survive being born in that cold of weather....

Oldtimer":3hamenm7 said:
iowahawkeyes":3hamenm7 said:
I like your cows. I also like that no eared red cow, got a little character to her.

There are several more of those no or little eared ones- both reds and blacks....We keep a lot of them for replacements, since the buyers always discount them- and I always thought it showed a genetic "will to live" and vigor if they survive being born in that cold of weather....
Oldtimer-

You are absolutely right! The determination and "will to live" is a Genetic Functional Trait, and is 'strengthened' and 'tempered' by repetition and selection choices. It is a tough way to greet the world - in sub-zero, windy weather, but there is SOME good to be derived from almost everything.

DOC HARRIS

I didn't make it over to check the old gimpy cow until almost 11AM-- and almost all those cows were laying around chewing their cud- and really soaking up the sun...Temp was already 40 degrees...There was 3 of those old girls that show the "will to live" laying right together-- but I forgot the camera :roll: ... They aren't the prettiest, but they get the job done...

This afternoon while I was mounting some new gates in the corral- the thermometer on the barn showed 54 :shock: Hard to believe its Montana- but it could change in a minute... :roll:

Weather boys are predicting a slight chance of rain/snow tomorrow ( I suppose because I have to inspect a couple hundred cows tomorrow)- but still temps around 40.....

Latest posts