Cheap mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
We did an experiment this year, we had a portion of our herd on non name brand all season mineral that cost $13.50 per bag. The other portion was left on the Purina wind and rain, that our local supplier charges $19.00 for. We have noticed no difference in shape of the cattle, attitudes of the cattle or the calves that have been born.( Been calving since 2-15) I have always had the attitude that you get what you pay for, but we have seen no difference. We have yet to try the cheaper Hi-Mag, but are considering that as well. :cboy:

you can get a nation brand for 13.50 here , I get sweet lix High Mag here for 13.50 delivered , by the ton , it is very good mineral. Lots of minerals got way over priced when corn prices went up , I was getting sweet lix Copper Head for 14.00 , now it is about 19.00 , so I went back to the plain High Mag, cant really tell much differance

It can take longer than a year to see what lack of a good mineral can do (or not do) for you. We saw lowered conception rates, longer time for first heat after calving, and cows that developed the red saddle. Since we switched to Vitaferm (in September), all of our fall and spring calving cows have come back into heat within 30 days of calving (our window was more like 45 to 60 days prior to using the new mineral). Our conceptions are higher on AI and recips (embryos). The time I lost on several of my cows because they did not breed back quickly can never be made up, and several had to be rolled to the next season (from spring calves to fall, and vice versa). I saw the biggest issue with my nursing two year olds, and their lack of ability to breed back quick enough.
I learned the hard way, do not go cheap! At least for our program. Where fertility must be high....

Fire Sweep Ranch":22voozrz said:
It can take longer than a year to see what lack of a good mineral can do (or not do) for you. We saw lowered conception rates, longer time for first heat after calving, and cows that developed the red saddle. Since we switched to Vitaferm (in September), all of our fall and spring calving cows have come back into heat within 30 days of calving (our window was more like 45 to 60 days prior to using the new mineral). Our conceptions are higher on AI and recips (embryos). The time I lost on several of my cows because they did not breed back quickly can never be made up, and several had to be rolled to the next season (from spring calves to fall, and vice versa). I saw the biggest issue with my nursing two year olds, and their lack of ability to breed back quick enough.
I learned the hard way, do not go cheap! At least for our program. Where fertility must be high....

I just purchased Vitaferm Concept Aid Mineral for this year's mineral supplement and hope we have the same results that you are having. Texasbred was gracious enough to give me some additional info on Vitaferm that tipped the scale in the change. This additional information is good to hear.

my grandpa always said good is never the cheap and cheap is never good , but we have gotten along well with the sweetlix mineral , I do know the Vitaferm is a very good mineral

Cowpuncher":2dzltgob said:
We did an experiment this year, we had a portion of our herd on non name brand all season mineral that cost $13.50 per bag. The other portion was left on the Purina wind and rain, that our local supplier charges $19.00 for. We have noticed no difference in shape of the cattle, attitudes of the cattle or the calves that have been born.( Been calving since 2-15) I have always had the attitude that you get what you pay for, but we have seen no difference. We have yet to try the cheaper Hi-Mag, but are considering that as well. :cboy:

YET.....wrecks in cattle herds usually dont' just happen overnight. Can't believe you can get the Purina Wind and Rain for anywhere close to $19 either. Down here it's closer to $30. You may get away with it for awhile but it will cost you in the long run.

Latest posts