Chain grab boundary strainers vs come alongs

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":7o7b22uv said:
That would be interesting. I'd like to see Kentucky. Like alot of Texans it's were my ancestors came from. And I like to meet you guys.
Just got the new fence tractor yesterday.

My new shaver grand slam is supposed to be here Tuesday. I've got alot going on right now. But I'm gonna grind on it . Maybe if everything goes well and the wife's willing.
Whatever I appreciate the invite.

Btw i sell stuff to. I just got in a fresh load of pipe. I've got about 1500 second hand tpost. And a guy owes me a wall full of broken comealongs.
I hope you got the skid steer quick attachment, and not the JD global hitch. I have the JD global hitch on one and quick attachment on the other loader tractor. I forgot to post that till right now like an idiot. They sell an adapter kit.
By the way nice tractor.

True Grit Farms":wm1r68xr said:
callmefence":wm1r68xr said:
That would be interesting. I'd like to see Kentucky. Like alot of Texans it's were my ancestors came from. And I like to meet you guys.

My new shaver grand slam is supposed to be here Tuesday. I've got alot going on right now. But I'm gonna grind on it . Maybe if everything goes well and the wife's willing.

Btw i sell stuff to. I just got in a fresh load of pipe. I've got about 1500 second hand tpost. And a guy owes me a wall full of broken comealongs.
I hope you got the skid steer quick attachment, and not the JD global hitch. I have the JD global hitch on one and quick attachment on the other loader tractor. I forgot to post that till right now like an idiot. They sell an adapter kit.
By the way nice tractor.

No it's got the global. So far I've just piddled around the shop and fed some hay. The global attachment is sure easy to use. I never saw the tractor until it was delivered. One of the first things I ask the salesman was how many off those rods do y'all see bent. He was honest .. quite a few.
You done any welding on yours? I feel like the fuel tank and the front hydraulic llines to the front remotes need some guards made. Could make em bolt on.

Working in the woods you'd probably be money ahead to build a thin belly pan. There's wires and hoses that a stick can cause all kinds of problems with. I welded some expanded metal on my grill guard after I tore a screen off. You can try and be careful but you know how that's going to work out.

callmefence":2v6mauzn said:
True Grit Farms":2v6mauzn said:
callmefence":2v6mauzn said:

By the way nice tractor.

No it's got the global. So far I've just piddled around the shop and fed some hay. The global attachment is sure easy to use. I never saw the tractor until it was delivered. One of the first things I ask the salesman was how many off those rods do y'all see bent. He was honest .. quite a few.
You done any welding on yours? I feel like the fuel tank and the front hydraulic llines to the front remotes need some guards made. Could make em bolt on.

don't sweat the global hook up . Its pretty easy to fabricate hooks on most attachments but I see quite a few things on CL that are global that are considerably cheaper because everyone is pushing SSQA .

callmefence":14ayf2ep said:

Nice tractor there bud I want a new one but my pockets are telling me differently

skyhightree1":310vid3f said:
callmefence":310vid3f said:

Nice tractor there bud I want a new one but my pockets are telling me differently

Thanks Sky. The tractor and new driver will replace two men. (If you can call em that)The zero interest payments is about what one man's check for a week is.
And it won't call in sick, drunk, get thrown in jail, or steal from me.

callmefence":3711ftp9 said:
skyhightree1":3711ftp9 said:
callmefence":3711ftp9 said:

Thanks Sky. The tractor and new driver will replace two men. (If you can call em that)The zero interest payments is about what one man's check for a week is.
And it won't call in sick, drunk, get thrown in jail, or steal from me.

I heard that and your right with me its not necessary its more of a want. That will be great for you and your 200% correct

Farm Fence Solutions":34biqrdt said:
Chain boundary strainers are no more dangerous than a come along. This world is full of what if's.... What if the come along breaks? A short handled inline chain strainer is considerably more likely to get away from you and knock a few teeth out than a boundary strainer is. The Strainrite boundary strainers that we carry have swivels on each end, so having a twisted chain is not an issue, and the handles are fixed and long enough to give plenty of leverage. If you break a spring, then fix it. It'd be no different than losing a spring from a come along, right? Will come alongs work? Absolutely. Are boundary strainers better? In my opinion, yes, they are. Less storage space, just as versatile, no cable to wear out/rust/break, fewer moving parts to keep lubricated.........
FWIW, a pair of one ton come alongs are maxed out at 4,000 pounds of load. On a 949 HT net wire, that is a maximum of 444 pounds per line wire, which is right in the sweet spot. Go to an 1147, 1348, 1660, etc and it takes more power to achieve proper tension. I think I'd rather have a little bit left in the tank.

Boundary strainers are working for you and you have done far more fencing than I have so I'm not disagreeing that they work better.
However 2 1 ton come alongs are maxed at 4000 pounds.
Strainrite states do Not exceed 600 kg load (1323 pounds) on their boundary strainers.
So a pair gets you 2646 pounds. Still a far cry from 4000 pounds.
So what gives ?

fence_it":2eote7sn said:
We are fence contractors and we pull the majority of our fence with 2 one ton come-alongs and a stretcher bar.

Chain boundary strainers are a bit dangerous IMO. If the chain gets twisted the dogs wont walk up it right and if you let go of the handle it can smack you in the head or elsewhere. You also will have to guide the dogs up the chain when the springs break off, which they eventually will if you use them enough.

Come-alongs are much easier to use, just attach one end to your brace post, the other to the stretcher bar, and crank away. We have no issues getting our wire tighter than heck. Plus they are easily available at any farm store. Attach a wire grip to them and they make great barb wire stretchers. Or use them in place of straps when tying down a load.

In certain circumstances we will pull with a tractor using a chain. Curling the bucket gives the ability to pull the top or bottom by itself to ensure straight and tight wire. This is usually reserved for very long runs or situations where we need to pull past the brace. I have a picture of pulling 949-6 fixed knot Toughstrand with the tractor but unfortunately not the come-alongs.

K41n5N3.jpg

Finally got a picture.

Farm Fence Solutions":2v5xq8xl said:
I wish Tonka would come back and give us an update........
So what you really want to hear is I told you so. Ok so you did .
They work good . Nice to have enough pull to not have to re hitch like I was having to do with the comealongs .
Quick learning curve after getting poped in the arm . Better than the mouth. Make dang sure both dogs are latched before you let go of the handle !

Tonka":29bt78am said:
Farm Fence Solutions":29bt78am said:
They work good . Nice to have enough pull to not have to re hitch like I was having to do with the comealongs .
Quick learning curve after getting poped in the arm . Better than the mouth. Make dang sure both dogs are latched before you let go of the handle !

Naw. Just like to hear honest outside opinions. Fencing is a good way to get new front teeth if you ain't careful.

Farm Fence Solutions":2teli5g0 said:
Tonka":2teli5g0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2teli5g0 said:

Naw. Just like to hear honest outside opinions. Fencing is a good way to get new front teeth if you ain't careful.

Not to fire this back up. What kind of comealongs are y'all using?
You should have about 12' of cable.

All comealongs I know of are rated on a double line pull . So your 12' of cable just became 6' .

Tonka":2slqwqvt said:
All comealongs I know of are rated on a double line pull . So your 12' of cable just became 6' .

That's what I thought your using a double cable. Through it away and buy a maasdan power pull. Stock 12' cable. And you'll bend the handle on your strainright trying to out pull it. At least i did. Everything in one package. Truth is either one is plenty strong. A GOOD comealongs is a superior tool. I've used both , and I don't sale either... fwiw

callmefence":7d7v7vt7 said:
Tonka":7d7v7vt7 said:

That's what I thought your using a double cable. Through it away and buy a maasdan power pull. Stock 12' cable. And you'll bend the handle on your strainright trying to out pull it. At least i did. Everything in one package. Truth is either one is plenty strong. A GOOD comealongs is a superior tool. I've used both , and I don't sale either... fwiw

For what it's worth, you don't have a Strainrite boundary strainer. You have a 502 strainer. Pretty big difference in the two. The handle on the Boundary Strainers don't bend. (Dancing jalapeño) And yes, I have some good comealongs that ain't for sale. Still have some freebies though. Lol

We use the masdaam and they work well, but dont last very long. We probably go through 15 or 20 a year. Key is to keep them oiled.

They will outpull a regular chain grab, I actually prefer the come-along for long runs of barb.

Latest posts