Barb Wire Vs. Field Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

I actually prefer the barb wire for goats. Eliminates the chances of them getting hung up. Only downside is more time consuming tying due to close wire spacing, and not quite as cost efficient as netting. Works great to just add a few barbed wires to existing 5 or 6 strand barbed wire fence though.

Dave":33od9aiz said:
Five strands of good quality barb wire on tee posts at 12 foot spacing. Along the river I use HT because trash doesn't build up on it as bad as barb and heaven forbid you put field fence along the river.
When ya'll talk about H.T. ya'll are referring to electrified or non electrified? I saw a video for regular high tensile fence but that was made in New Zealand. I have 1/4 mile of river anywhere from 50 to 100 yards from my fence I dont use because my grandfathers old fences kept getting washed out we put the new ones farther away. Would H.T. work well and can you use trees to run it?

HT plain wire isn't the best for holding stock without electricity.(Or with electricity, IMHO) It can be done with 8-10 strands and close post spacing, but a couple of wires strung tree to tree 20' apart with no juice won't hold much. HT fence wire originated in New Zealand in the 70's, but is now available world wide. It's certainly going to be just about the easiest fence to patch back together after a flood, especially if you put a planned failure in the middle. Something like a Gripple, a loose crimp, or a kinked knot..... It won't work in every situation, but sometimes finding two ends to splice back together is easier than rebuilding the whole stretch.

Bigfoot":1drhf4t3 said:
Field fence (what I call woven wire) is terribly hard to repair, compared to barbed wire. Especially if something like a tree falls on it.
My thought also