Cattle Panels vs Oak board fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm":iqxrpf7y said:
skyhightree1":iqxrpf7y said:
lol nope theres 2 shes got a calf. edit I have 2 other white ones in a different pasture though.

we had all chars growing up. I asked my uncle one time why he didn't have any black cows he said that when they decide to get out its always at night and they easier to find.

:lol: that is a good point.

I've used cattle panels in the past, and over the years the cows wrecked em all...I'm still finding pieces of panel wire in the pasture...oh, its a real treat when you snag a hunk with the brush cutter.. :x I now replace everything with rough cut 2 x 6 oak planks...I like to be 6 foot high...I spose if its just for calves though, you should be fine...

skyhightree1":272et2u9 said:
lol nope theres 2 shes got a calf. edit I have 2 other white ones in a different pasture though.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Sounds racist. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

CountryBoy6214":259yhk6o said:
I've used cattle panels in the past, and over the years the cows wrecked em all...I'm still finding pieces of panel wire in the pasture...oh, its a real treat when you snag a hunk with the brush cutter.. :x I now replace everything with rough cut 2 x 6 oak planks...I like to be 6 foot high...I spose if its just for calves though, you should be fine...

True

HDRider":259yhk6o said:
skyhightree1":259yhk6o said:

:D ;-) cattle segregation at its finest :lol:

skyhightree1":1eq8dddq said:
CountryBoy6214":1eq8dddq said:

True

HDRider":1eq8dddq said:
skyhightree1":1eq8dddq said:

:D ;-) cattle segregation at its finest :lol:
Power to the Bovine - Right On!

CountryBoy6214":31zmqz4o said:
When I think of cattle panels, I think of these--not the wire ones.

w9h1.jpg

I must have wild cattle. My cows, or calves for that matter would go right over the top of a cattle panel in a flat second.

Bigfoot":24outn24 said:
I must have wild cattle. My cows, or calves for that matter would go right over the top of a cattle panel in a flat second.

:lol: my cattle are pretty calm compared to a local guy here.

lol.. I guess you have a point. I know one think those corral panels or whatever you want to call them aren't cheap at all.

I sent you a PM Sky, but will repeat it here. There are better panels available than what I used, but I don't have wild thangs to have to work with. (well--maybe one) And of course, the sort gate, divider gates and sweep are not figured in here:

The panels are more expensive than gates, due to the strength, the "legs" and attached hardware points. But, sit down, like I did, and figure it for the Priefert or WW 12' long panels like I did, ----------then figure the cost using a minimum of four each 2x6 or (PREFERRABLY) 2x8 treated lumber and a minimum of two treated 6" or 8" X 8' long posts per 12' section.
For instance:
Lowes website says a #2 treated 2x6x12' is $8.37 ea.
2x8x12s are $13.57 ea.
8"x8' long treated posts are $15-each.
For just ONE 12' section out of the 2x8s, (not including labor and fasteners) , you just spent $84.28 and all you have is a pile of lumber--it ain't ready for prime time till you drill holes in the ground and actually assemble it.

Do NOT buy the $65 12' long panels from TSC--they are too light and the workmansip (welding) sucks)

The Preifert 12' "Premiere" panels retail at McCoys for $144 each. But, a couple of times per year, you can buy on sale a 50' round pen for $1300. That, (if memory serves me right) consists of thirteen 12' long Premier panels, and one 10' long panel with a 4' walk in bow gate. That drops the price down under $95 each. That 'round pen' forms the nucleus of my working pen. Gave me a 24X48 holding pen, as well as enclosing my chute and head gate. Add 2-3 10' gates, and you have a working facility. (remember--you have to buy gates no matter if you go with wood or pre-built panels.)

This means, that for only $10.72 more per 12 section, all you have to do is stand your steel panels up, chain them together and you can have a pen assembled in one day. IF, you go with the better Rough StockPriefert panels, then yes, it would be cheaper to go with wood. Rough Stock panels are much stronger and heavier than the Premiers--thus more expensive. Again, different manufacturers have different (better?) quality than what I went with.

The versatility that comes with using these type panels is the bonus. You can set 'em up any way you want to, and easily change them if it doesn't work like you thought it would. With wood--not so much--ya better have it well planned and drawn out before you ever sink the first post in the ground.

Do some hard research and you may find the corral/cattle tube panels aren't all that expensive after all. Put the pencil to it!!

greybeard":1f5t32yp said:
I sent you a PM Sky, but will repeat it here. There are better panels available than what I used, but I don't have wild thangs to have to work with. (well--maybe one) And of course, the sort gate, divider gates and sweep are not figured in here:

The panels are more expensive than gates, due to the strength, the "legs" and attached hardware points. But, sit down, like I did, and figure it for the Priefert or WW 12' long panels like I did, ----------then figure the cost using a minimum of four each 2x6 or (PREFERRABLY) 2x8 treated lumber and a minimum of two treated 6" or 8" X 8' long posts per 12' section.
For instance:
Lowes website says a #2 treated 2x6x12' is $8.37 ea.
2x8x12s are $13.57 ea.
8"x8' long treated posts are $15-each.
For just ONE 12' section out of the 2x8s, (not including labor and fasteners) , you just spent $84.28 and all you have is a pile of lumber--it ain't ready for prime time till you drill holes in the ground and actually assemble it.

Do NOT buy the $65 12' long panels from TSC--they are too light and the workmansip (welding) sucks)

The Preifert 12' "Premiere" panels retail at McCoys for $144 each. But, a couple of times per year, you can buy on sale a 50' round pen for $1300. That, (if memory serves me right) consists of thirteen 12' long Premier panels, and one 10' long panel with a 4' walk in bow gate. That drops the price down under $95 each. That 'round pen' forms the nucleus of my working pen. Gave me a 24X48 holding pen, as well as enclosing my chute and head gate. Add 2-3 10' gates, and you have a working facility. (remember--you have to buy gates no matter if you go with wood or pre-built panels.)

This means, that for only $10.72 more per 12 section, all you have to do is stand your steel panels up, chain them together and you can have a pen assembled in one day. IF, you go with the better Rough StockPriefert panels, then yes, it would be cheaper to go with wood. Rough Stock panels are much stronger and heavier than the Premiers--thus more expensive. Again, different manufacturers have different (better?) quality than what I went with.

The versatility that comes with using these type panels is the bonus. You can set 'em up any way you want to, and easily change them if it doesn't work like you thought it would. With wood--not so much--ya better have it well planned and drawn out before you ever sink the first post in the ground.

Do some hard research and you may find the corral/cattle tube panels aren't all that expensive after all. Put the pencil to it!!

Great post ! :tiphat: I am gonna check into that. I am gonna go to agri supply this weekend and see what they have there as well as other farm supply stores.