Cattle Panels vs Oak board fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am putting a 16x14 covered area on back of my 16x48 shed at my house in my calf pasture and want to fence in area of the same size 16x48 and wondered if I should use the cattle panels or oak board fencing as this area will be for bottle calves what do you suggest using? i was thinking if I used oak boards that the top board edge would be at 16 32 48 inches and boards 1x6x16 what do you all think?

dun":34wv11fx said:
Cattle panels, no maintenece and quick & easy repair

Thats what I was thinking. It also is cheaper than getting the oak boards milled too. The panels at tractor supply i think were 4' x 16' ...21.00 each I need to go to agri supply and see what the cost is there maybe they got a few bent ones i can get for half off lol How far should the posts be apart if I use the panels 8 feet same as with the oak boards? I have never used panels before. I also have a roll of hog wire left too should I just use that ?

I use 8 foot spacing with wood posts at the ends and T-posts in the middle. Something else that makes them handy is if you need to make smaller pens inside of it you can connect the panels with dogsnaps, one at the top and one at the bottom is usually enough but one in middle does make it a bit more rigid

dun":330kr1y3 said:
I use 8 foot spacing with wood posts at the ends and T-posts in the middle. Something else that makes them handy is if you need to make smaller pens inside of it you can connect the panels with dogsnaps, one at the top and one at the bottom is usually enough but one in middle does make it a bit more rigid

I like that idea :clap:

hopalong":1ygqruv5 said:
Panels,,,, much easier to move if you change your mind about the layout...
You got that right hopalong--even the heavier tube panels.
I'll never have a wooden pen again.

I like the extra height that I get from wood. I think mine is slightly over 7 foot. Sky, I would think with your tree service, that you would come across a log or two for free, that could be sawed.

Bigfoot":3quzxutj said:
I like the extra height that I get from wood. I think mine is slightly over 7 foot. Sky, I would think with your tree service, that you would come across a log or two for free, that could be sawed.

Yes sir, I have logs. I have wood already cut into fencing size panels because I am putting up a board fence across the front of my place currently. I just wasn't sure which would be best for that application. Your fence is 7 feet tall ?

Best investment I ever made. Pressure treated 2x8 on pressure treated 6 x 6. I'll post a pick. "Nothing" has came over it yet. It wasn't that expensive to do a large area either. My hay barn is one side, and my feeding barn is one side. I just had to build corral on two sides. A bunch of my cows are gamey. I see these guys talking about how gentle theirs are. About 1/3 of mine will get you if you let them. A lot char cows with ear, that sort of thing.

Gotcha, My boards are 1x6x16's. How many head do you have Bigfoot ? I have noticed alot of cows that have attitudes came from farms with large amounts of cattle.

Alan better not find out you asked this. 80 cows. I stayed in the 50's till recently. It was all I could Handel while the kids were small. I retire in 6 years, I'm on my way to 125 by then. I tackle a big project on the farm every year, and add 15 - 20 heifers. I hope I have things like I want them by the time I'm full time on the farm. I will probably be back into raising horse hay to sell by then-------If my back stays together.

Bigfoot":berur9ms said:
Alan better not find out you asked this. 80 cows. I stayed in the 50's till recently. It was all I could Handel while the kids were small. I retire in 6 years, I'm on my way to 125 by then. I tackle a big project on the farm every year, and add 15 - 20 heifers. I hope I have things like I want them by the time I'm full time on the farm. I will probably be back into raising horse hay to sell by then-------If my back stays together.

:lol: gotcha I have right under 60 head and plan on buying 20 cow calf pair next spring from a friend whos getting out the cattle business after 50 years.

skyhightree1":ie4eaouc said:
lol nope theres 2 shes got a calf. edit I have 2 other white ones in a different pasture though.

we had all chars growing up. I asked my uncle one time why he didn't have any black cows he said that when they decide to get out its always at night and they easier to find.

Latest posts