Barb Wire Vs. Field Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
If you were building new fence, what would you use? Ground is somewhat hilly, but not extremely steep. Cost is not the deciding factor.

All of our fences are field wire. Even our cross fences. We do use the shorter field wire on cross fences. All parameter fences are 48" with two strands of barb.

I prefer barbed over a cheap woven wire fence. But if money is no object, a good quality woven with one strand of barbed on top would be what I would go with. Unfortunately, money is always an object.

M.Magis":1yizwmpv said:
I prefer barbed over a cheap woven wire fence. But if money is no object, a good quality woven with one strand of barbed on top would be what I would go with. Unfortunately, money is always an object.
Yup. The money is no object always throws me.

dun":2t2pxdco said:
M.Magis":2t2pxdco said:
Yup. The money is no object always throws me.

I didn't say it was no object, I said it wasn't the deciding factor.

poorfarmer":2c8l51vi said:
Two strands of barbwire top is electric, but I have pretty tame cattle.
My cows are tame too, but I have calves get through 5 strands of barbed. Do you just let them come back in on their own?

I am in the process of refencing my grandparents' place. I did the perimeter in 48" Red Brand field fence with 1-2 strands of barbed wire on top. I chose that because at any time I may have horses, cows, or goats on this place, and I felt that was the best choice.

I personally despise woven wire :yuck: IMO, the only 4 legged farm animal that requires woven wire to contain it is a pig :p

For cattle I would go with 4 strands of Red Brand or other known good quality barbed wire. For sheep, I would go with 6 wires. 6"x8' double corner post. 6' line posts spaced a rod apart, alternating wood and steel. Wood, then 2 steel if you wish.

All wood, perhaps cornerpost sized through draws where snow breaks the fence down in winter :idea:

John SD":1a8rx3d0 said:
I personally despise woven wire :yuck: IMO, the only 4 legged farm animal that requires woven wire to contain it is a pig :p

For cattle I would go with 4 strands of Red Brand or other known good quality barbed wire. For sheep, I would go with 6 wires. 6"x8' double corner post. 6' line posts spaced a rod apart, alternating wood and steel. Wood, then 2 steel if you wish.

All wood, perhaps cornerpost sized through draws where snow breaks the fence down in winter :idea:
I'm not crazy about it, but if you have a smallish area that you will have little calves in that will need treating or catching regularly for some reason, it's the only way to go. Otherwise I prefer barb for perimeter fences and single strand of hot for interior fences and divisions

John SD":jajgry78 said:

Maybe the number of wires and the post spacing depend on stocking rate? If I had only 4 wires on posts 16' apart I'd have cattle out all the time, and my cattle are gentle. I build mine with at least 5 wires, and I prefer 6, and 8' post spacing.

M.Magis":1t9vy1ea said:
poorfarmer":1t9vy1ea said:
Two strands of barbwire top is electric, but I have pretty tame cattle.
My cows are tame too, but I have calves get through 5 strands of barbed. Do you just let them come back in on their own?
There are times usually in late fall when the grass is short that I will have one or two slip through to eat the grass along my driveway, but they will slip right back in on their own. It usually means I need to double check that the fence is hot. If you are concerned you might go 3 strand and make the middle one electric, should do the trick. I know for some electric isn't an option.

Rafter S":22wykfce said:
John SD":22wykfce said:

Maybe the number of wires and the post spacing depend on stocking rate? If I had only 4 wires on posts 16' apart I'd have cattle out all the time, and my cattle are gentle. I build mine with at least 5 wires, and I prefer 6, and 8' post spacing.
5 strands, 10' post spacing hold mine unless a calf gets under the bottom strand. Good corners and wire tight as a banjo string are key in my part of the world. I've seen lots of woven wire used around here on hobby goat farms--they were a royal bloody mess after Hurricane Ike, with goats everywhere for 2 months. Had all mine back up in a week.

greybeard":2rqb18ig said:
Rafter S":2rqb18ig said:
John SD":2rqb18ig said:

5 strands, 10' post spacing hold mine unless a calf gets under the bottom strand. Good corners and wire tight as a banjo string are key in my part of the world. I've seen lots of woven wire used around here on hobby goat farms--they were a royal bloody mess after Hurricane Ike, with goats everywhere for 2 months. Had all mine back up in a week.

You keep goats behind barb wire?

Field fence (what I call woven wire) is terribly hard to repair, compared to barbed wire. Especially if something like a tree falls on it.

Bigfoot":1saf5lw9 said:
Field fence (what I call woven wire) is terribly hard to repair, compared to barbed wire. Especially if something like a tree falls on it.
Most times it's easiest to just cut out the messed up section and replace with a new piece.

Craig Miller":18yhs0lj said:
greybeard":18yhs0lj said:

You keep goats behind barb wire?[/quote]
Me? I don't do goats at all and never will. I just meant I had all my fences back up in a week.

We just fenced our new farm off. 6 strand with post 10' apart for exterior and 5 strand for interior. I would not go woven wire, it makes a really good fence until you have to repair, barbed wire is so much easier to work with.

I use woven wire anywhere I want to guarantee (hope) cattle and sheep not getting out. Have also used 8 strand hi tensile for cattle.Along the river,though,its hi tensile or barbed.Against the mountain-barbed.

JW IN VA":pjdrs9g9 said:
I use woven wire anywhere I want to guarantee (hope) cattle and sheep not getting out. Have also used 8 strand hi tensile for cattle.Along the river,though,its hi tensile or barbed.Against the mountain-barbed.
I think that is exactly the point. There is no one size fits all when it comes to fencing. There are different applications where different fencing is required/desired. We have a combination of high tensile single strand hot wire, 5 strand barbed, 3 strand barbed, field fencing and use a lot of single strand hot poly for temp fences.