Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Help Support CattleToday:

Perhaps rather than a difference in vets it is a difference in producers. Some vets may never use it in newborns, but many others may only recommend it based on specific herd situations. A decent vet should be developing vaccine protocols on an individual herd basis. They may think Inforce is unnecessary in 90% of their herds, but then choose to include it in those operations where the benefits appear most likely to significantly outweigh the risks.

I don't give my calves anything, and I don't dip their navel either. Once in a while we'll have a calf that needs a shot of Baytryil and then I always give it a shot of MultiMin also. Just to treat a calf for something to do increases resistance to drugs. Seems like the more attention a calf gets the more they need.
I'm sure I'll find a sick or dead calf tomorrow, but we haven't had to treat a calf yet this year.

The problem with vaccines is some are beneficial some are not. Taking a vaccine for something that is treatable is insane. Such as a flu shot. Only to find out down the road you now have shingles from a adverse reaction from 40 years ago. Whenever I take my dog to the vet they are always trying to get me to get a lime vaccination. Lime to a dog will pass in weeks, lime to a human can kill you. So it's a fear based assumption you will buy it. Often the side affects are worse than the disease and sell more drugs. A vaccine for pink eye fits in with that are you serious side of it. When it's easily enough treatable. You need to decide which diseases are most likely and most difficult to treat in your area and vaccinate for them. You need to do the research yourself otherwise you at the mercy of your vet, and can bet you will be getting all of them simply because you believe anything your told. So to say vaccination is all good or all bad isn't good either.

The drug companies work on fear. look, we came up with this vaccines that has saved 1000s of lives from something untreatable. So why not take these vaccines for a treatable condition and never have to worry. Sounds good as long as we don't read the 4 pages of side effects. You have to educate yourself and weigh the risks. Just because they have one good vaccine doesn't make them all good.

They know some know this, so now they add 3 or 4 combinations to a single shot so your forced to buy the bad or use less with the good. They ain't stupid.

KMURBAN":3rzwht8t said:
The problem with vaccines is some are beneficial some are not. Taking a vaccine for something that is treatable is insane. Such as a flu shot. Only to find out down the road you now have shingles from a adverse reaction from 40 years ago. Whenever I take my dog to the vet they are always trying to get me to get a lime vaccination. Lime to a dog will pass in weeks, lime to a human can kill you. So it's a fear based assumption you will buy it. Often the side affects are worse than the disease and sell more drugs. A vaccine for pink eye fits in with that are you serious side of it. When it's easily enough treatable. You need to decide which diseases are most likely and most difficult to treat in your area and vaccinate for them. You need to do the research yourself otherwise you at the mercy of your vet, and can bet you will be getting all of them simply because you believe anything your told. So to say vaccination is all good or all bad isn't good either.

The drug companies work on fear. look, we came up with this vaccines that has saved 1000s of lives from something untreatable. So why not take these vaccines for a treatable condition and never have to worry. Sounds good as long as we don't read the 4 pages of side effects. You have to educate yourself and weigh the risks. Just because they have one good vaccine doesn't make them all good.

They know some know this, so now they add 3 or 4 combinations to a single shot so your forced to buy the bad or use less with the good. They ain't stupid.

First, so there is no confusion, you mean Lyme disease.

Second, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ben Franklin.

I want to point out something you are missing. If you are a seedstock producer, it is sometimes important to vaccinate to provide liability protection. Fire Sweep and I visited an elite commercial/seedstock producer on Thursday who vaccinates for some diseases many of us would never consider. When I ask him about that, he described a situation where multiple parties were sued over brucellosis.

If you are selling seedstock particularly, demonstrating that you vaccinated, can shelter you from damage claims.

Bright Raven":24096f40 said:
KMURBAN":24096f40 said:

First, so there is no confusion, you mean Lyme disease.

Second, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Ben Franklin.

I want to point out something you are missing. If you are a seedstock producer, it is sometimes important to vaccinate to provide liability protection. Fire Sweep and I visited an elite commercial/seedstock producer on Thursday who vaccinates for some diseases many of us would never consider. When I ask him about that, he described a situation where multiple parties were sued over brucellosis.

If you are selling seedstock particularly, demonstrating that you vaccinated, can shelter you from damage claims.

You are 100% correct in all aspects. You need to know why and what you are vaccinating for. Don't just take someones word for it. Sounds like you got a good grip on it.

How many animals and dollars are you willing to lose to stand behind such statements? Same thing applies to folks who bring in new animals and do not quarantine and then have outbreaks and losses. We cannot imaging or hope diseases away.

I do agree that there are vaccines and combos which are sold for secondary illnesses. If you feed properly, provide adequate minerals and control primary diseases then you don't need the secondary control as the immune system will do that for you. But you need to know, in your area, which are primary and which are secondary. It is not one size fits all.

And cattle leaving your farm, the prior posters are dead on: be sure to give them a fair chance to live in a stressful transfer and a different environment. That was not a Ben Franklin quote! :tiphat:

Ebenezer":3ua4u1eo said:
How many animals and dollars are you willing to lose to stand behind such statements? Same thing applies to folks who bring in new animals and do not quarantine and then have outbreaks and losses. We cannot imaging or hope diseases away.

I do agree that there are vaccines and combos which are sold for secondary illnesses. If you feed properly, provide adequate minerals and control primary diseases then you don't need the secondary control as the immune system will do that for you. But you need to know, in your area, which are primary and which are secondary. It is not one size fits all.

And cattle leaving your farm, the prior posters are dead on: be sure to give them a fair chance to live in a stressful transfer and a different environment. That was not a Ben Franklin quote! :tiphat:

It probably originated in Greek/Roman times. But there are references to Ben as the author.

Benjamin Franklin famously advised fire-threatened Philadelphians in 1736 that "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Clearly, preventing fires is better than fighting them, but to what extent can we protect ourselves from natural disasters? Hazards such as earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, hurricanes and volcanic eruptions are not in themselves preventable, but some of their devastating effects could be reduced through forward planning.

zlsmtl.jpg

It is much cheaper to prevent than to treat.
I sell a lot of cattle to juniors for 4-H projects. I vaccinate for a lot of "stuff" required in our area, required for certain sales and for my peace of mind. I do not vaccinate for pinkeye because I do not believe they have a product worth using, and I rarely have to treat for it.

A producer Fire Sweep and I visited last week tests all his cattle for Bovine leukemia virus (BLV) and Anaplasmosis before they leave the farm. He also calfhood vaccinates all heifers regardless of whether they go out of state.

He explained that the problem with diseases like BLV and Anaplasmosis is that they spread through a herd as an epizootic and to rid the herd of the infection can take years or require animals to be destroyed. Therefore, he takes these precautions to avoid liability.

If you got something to lose - and this gentleman has lots to lose!!! - then protecting yourself from damages can be paramount.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/generaliz ... e-leukosis

I want to correct a statement I made earlier in this thread.
New research did NOT say that all vaccines are beneficial to newborns. Research has proven only the new NASAL vaccine (Inforce 3) is beneficial w/ cololstral immunities.
I also calfhood vaccinate all my heifers. I have cattle that get sold all over, and there are some states (like California) that still requires it.
Also, Brucellosis is STILL around. I do not want to be caught unprotected if there is an outbreak here in NY.

Latest posts