Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer

Reaction score
What vaccines are you all using on your cattle? I'm using vaccines for Blackleg and one for Viral/Lepto. In addition I'm deworming with a pour on, fly tags when flies get heavy, and band castrating with a shot of tetanus. I have antibiotics set aside for foot rot and pinkeye. Wondering if I need to add anything to my regiment?

Here's the two primary vaccines that I'm using:

In place of Vira Shield 6 L5. I use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 L5.

For Clostridial, I use Covexin 8.

I also use Inforce 3 and First Defense as neonatal vaccines.

For a parasiticide, I use Ivomec injectable.

For fly control, I spray with permethrin.

I use the same vacation program .
Hadn't had foot rot in years supplement iodine. Haven't had pinkeye either I am obsessed with fly control with rubs, pour on and IGR.

Caustic Burno":3oumd3vb said:
I use the same vacation program .
Hadn't had foot rot in years supplement iodine. Haven't had pinkeye either I am obsessed with fly control with rubs, pour on and IGR.
What do you use to supplement iodine?

I also vaccinate with OneShot Ultra 8 and booster with UltraChoice 8.
Just a word of caution. I believe the ViraShield is a MLV. Be sure you follow directions.
I use BoviShield (basically same) and vaccinate all open cows at least 30 days prior to breeding EVERY year. With BS, it is labeled to be able to vaccinate nursing calves as long as dam is vaccinated within 12 months.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2e1654xo said:
Just a word of caution. I believe the ViraShield is a MLV. Be sure you follow directions.
I use BoviShield (basically same) and vaccinate all open cows at least 30 days prior to breeding EVERY year. With BS, it is labeled to be able to vaccinate nursing calves as long as dam is vaccinated within 12 months.

Vira Shield 6 + L5. Is a killed virus.

Unless it says HB, it does not protect for the bacterial serovar - Hardjo Bovis.

Bright Raven":2o0hzes1 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2o0hzes1 said:

Unless it says HB, it does not protect for the bacterial serovar - Hardjo Bovis.
This is probably asking a lot of you Inyati, but explain to me in common terms about HB please. You guys got me thinking about HB last time we were having a drug discussion, so I read up on HB in cattle. And as best that I could comprehend if your cows have a live calf every 12 months you don't have Hardjo-Bovis in your herd? I pregnancy test all my cows and have always shipped anything that was open. I have enough fingers that I can count the cows I've sent off for being open on one hand, and only one cow was in her prime the rest were older. I've definitely shipped more heifers than cows, so does that mean heifers are more prone to HB? And are older cows more prone to HB? This disease is created by poor culling practices. IMO

True Grit Farms":2ekf82v3 said:
Bright Raven":2ekf82v3 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ekf82v3 said:

This is probably asking a lot of you Inyati, but explain to me in common terms about HB please. You guys got me thinking about HB last time we were having a drug discussion, so I read up on HB in cattle. And as best that I could comprehend if your cows have a live calf every 12 months you don't have Hardjo-Bovis in your herd? I pregnancy test all my cows and have always shipped anything that was open. I have enough fingers that I can count the cows I've sent off for being open on one hand, and only one cow was in her prime the rest were older. I've definitely shipped more heifers than cows, so does that mean heifers are more prone to HB? And are older cows more prone to HB? This disease is created by poor culling practices. IMO

Briefly. HB stands for hardjo bovis. It is a strain of one of the Leptospira bacteria in the vaccine which is Leptospira hardjo. The full name of the strain is Leptospira borgpetersenii. It is responsible for causing most of the abortions due to leptospirosis. So it is important to use lepto vaccines labeled HB.

Bright Raven":2sywufc2 said:
True Grit Farms":2sywufc2 said:
Bright Raven":2sywufc2 said:

Briefly. HB stands for hardjo bovis. It is a strain of one of the Leptospira bacteria in the vaccine which is Leptospira hardjo. The full name of the strain is Leptospira borgpetersenii. It is responsible for causing most of the abortions due to leptospirosis. So it is important to use lepto vaccines labeled HB.
Well you couldn't do it in common terms. How can a cow abort a calf and have one every year? Seems to me like culling for production and not being pasture blind can fix and eliminate Hardjo Bovis in your herd? This is a vaccine for those that don't cull on production. From what I can understand from my poor comprehension reading skills is, your not eliminating HB your just controlling it?

True Grit Farms":2q4ubhyq said:
Bright Raven":2q4ubhyq said:
True Grit Farms":2q4ubhyq said:

Well you couldn't do it in common terms. How can a cow abort a calf and have one every year? Seems to me like culling for production and not being pasture blind can fix and eliminate Hardjo Bovis in your herd? This is a vaccine for those that don't cull on production. From what I can understand from my poor comprehension reading skills is, your not eliminating HB your just controlling it?

Simple. Make sure your lepto vaccines say HB.

Remember vaccines provide a measured level of immunity. That is absolutely all they do. How you manage your herd is an entirely separate function. I could not agree with you more on using culling to eliminate any carriers of any organism. I don't have any abortions but I still vaccinate so my cows have a first defense if an organism sets up housekeeping in their body.

Again
Make sure your lepto vaccines have the HB.

We're doing the same to our animals as we've done in mankind. At one time only the healthiest - strongest got to reproduce and pass their superior genes along. Now we have created a society that can't live without vaccines and medical attention.

True Grit Farms":20s9k4pa said:
We're doing the same to our animals as we've done in mankind. At one time only the healthiest - strongest got to reproduce and pass their superior genes along. Now we have created a society that can't live without vaccines and medical attention.
The wild and primitive animals roamed. We confine to fenced areas or lots and in intensive or mob grazing we do worse. We mix and mingle livestock from the four corners and "Ask" livestock to grow faster, bigger, more muscled, give more milk, ...

If a healthy cow eats grass where a coyote with lepto urinated then there is the issue of needing to eat what is available and aborting rather than roaming over to another county and eating something else. It's not all black and white. I do agree that environmental fit and allowing a level of parasite resistance in the cow calf sector is a long term need for the industry to successfully compete with chicken and pork. It's all about margins and cost of production.

Ebenezer":ypojglv2 said:
True Grit Farms":ypojglv2 said:
The wild and primitive animals roamed. We confine to fenced areas or lots and in intensive or mob grazing we do worse. We mix and mingle livestock from the four corners and "Ask" livestock to grow faster, bigger, more muscled, give more milk, ...

If a healthy cow eats grass where a coyote with lepto urinated then there is the issue of needing to eat what is available and aborting rather than roaming over to another county and eating something else. It's not all black and white. I do agree that environmental fit and allowing a level of parasite resistance in the cow calf sector is a long term need for the industry to successfully compete with chicken and pork. It's all about margins and cost of production.
Thank you, now there's a few good reason to vaccinate against HB and other things.

Ebenezer":31rdsbjb said:
True Grit Farms":31rdsbjb said:

Feral hogs are becoming a huge problem transmitting lepto and bangs.

This is from our State Vet.
"Yes, it is my understanding that cattle can get swine brucellosis even if they have been vaccinated since we are talking about separate organisms in cattle and swine. Also the cattle can test positive.

I have our Extension Veterinarian Dr. Tom Hairgrove, he can correct me if I am wrong or answer any additional questions."

True Grit Farms":2w5c7fao said:

There are books written on the concept that science and technology will alter the natural selection and evolution of the human species. There are many conditions that the natural world selects against such as diabetes, etc. Over time, our species will express those conditions at higher frequencies. Not much to stop it unless you can accept letting your offspring die of treatable conditions before they can reproduce.

LEPTO - all forms are spread by our wildlife - deer, coyotes, hogs, etc. You are not treating a disease, you are PREVENTING a disease. HB is "relatively" new strain of Lepto.
Do you believe in vaccinating your children?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":jjfrkb9z said:
LEPTO - all forms are spread by our wildlife - deer, coyotes, hogs, etc. You are not treating a disease, you are PREVENTING a disease. HB is "relatively" new strain of Lepto.
Do you believe in vaccinating your children?

Same way even more so with the Clostridial group of bacteria. They are ubiquitous in every environment on earth except maybe the polar ice caps. BTW: I think you directed that question at True Grit. Form my perspective, I believe in vaccinating humans. Seems to be a contemporary fad against it. Oddly, my parents generation were saved from the ravages of the likes of small pox and polio because of vaccines.

I also use Vira Shield and Covexin 8, except that I use the Vira Shield 6 +VL5 HB. I give the Vira Shield twice per year because my Vet tells me it is only good for about 6 months. We do have a problem with late term abortion (250 days+ gestation) and the occasional weak calf in spite of culling the opens. Tests have eliminated many causes but could not rule out Lepto. Since you are already vaccinating with a the Novartis product Vira Shield, I suggest you just change to the one that includes HB. When we first began using it, my Vet said it was the only product that had the HB strain. That may have changed now.

Latest posts