Vaccine availability??

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been trying to locate Vira Shield 6 +VL5 Somnus, I can order it from one place
shipping cost is $40.00 for three or four bottles of vaccine. :(
If your cows have already calved this year, you can use the Modified live. The Douglas County Farmers Coop in Roseburg has Bovi-Shield Gold FP5 VL5 in stock. The cost was less than $30 for 10 doses. It doesn't include Somnus but it does have the Lepto vaccine including Hardjo Bovis. That is what my Vet recommended.

If your cows have already calved this year, you can use the Modified live. The Douglas County Farmers Coop in Roseburg has Bovi-Shield Gold FP5 VL5 in stock. The cost was less than $30 for 10 doses. It doesn't include Somnus but it does have the Lepto vaccine including Hardjo Bovis. That is what my Vet recommended.
Thank you

I said MLV can be used in OPEN cows which = not pregnant.
Guess I was expecting too much of cattle forum readers to understand it would include open heifers.
Totally my fault for over estimating the readers intelligence and inability to connect dots.
I'll try to do better, but it's tedious spelling out each detail.

MLV vaccines are not to be used in calves if nursing on cows that have never been vaccinated with the MLV vaccine.
MLV vaccines are not to be used in pregnant cows or heifers.
You can vaccinate an Open cow with a MLV whether a calf is nursing or even if the milk is used for human consumption.
I don't understand which statement is partially wrong.
Unless you wanted me to confuse the op who read cows and nursing calves as cows nursing calves, by adding the
exception of cows that had previously been vaccinated with the MLV vaccine. The next thing you know they'll read it as
any MLV.

Last edited:
If it has Hardjo it will be BoviShield 5L5HB not VL5.
Zoetis claims they were getting too many reactions from vaccine with Vib and Hardjo. So now you can't get that complete combo.
I think Vista still makes a 5VL5HB

I said MLV can be used in OPEN cows which = not pregnant.
Guess I was expecting too much of cattle forum readers to understand it would include open heifers.
Totally my fault for over estimating the readers intelligence and inability to connect dots.
I'll try to do better, but it's tedious spelling out each detail.
Okay, here it is for the third time. (Speaking of seriously overestimating reader's intelligence)

You said:

This is misleading at best. I explained what was wrong with the statement. You're welcome.

Okay, here it is for the third time. (Speaking of seriously overestimating reader's intelligence)

You said:

This is misleading at best. I explained what was wrong with the statement. You're welcome.
So you are saying... go ahead use MLV in pregnant cows and heifers? No worries?
You explained nothing. How is it wrong?

If it has Hardjo it will be BoviShield 5L5HB not VL5.
Zoetis claims they were getting too many reactions from vaccine with Vib and Hardjo. So now you can't get that complete combo.
I think Vista still makes a 5VL5HB
It lists Hardjo on the label. Perhaps there is more than one type of Lepto with Hardjo in the name? I was originally looking for a product that included HB and my Vet recommended Bovi-Shield FP5 VL5. When I saw Hardjo in the list on the box, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was HB.

No... You said my statement was incorrect in part. You explain your objection to what I said and which part.

Explanation please.
It was explained in the posts following mine. But you asked so:
MLV's are safe to use on cattle that are not naïve. So, vaccinate pre-breeding according to label directions with MLV to safely use MLV's during pregnancy

You got that almost correct.
All you do is nitpick.
Neither simme or anyone else had posted any information addressing the op's issue at the time of your posting.
All you did was criticize the only answer to the op's question, without adding any useful information.
Nitpick and muddy the waters. Your posting is as useless as teats on a boar.

It lists Hardjo on the label. Perhaps there is more than one type of Lepto with Hardjo in the name? I was originally looking for a product that included HB and my Vet recommended Bovi-Shield FP5 VL5. When I saw Hardjo in the list on the box, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that i
These are the two products I find.

BOVI-SHIELD GOLD FP® 5 L5 HB

Dairy cattle reproductive vaccine with protection from Lepto hardjo-bovis

Dairy cattle reproductive vaccine with protection from Lepto hardjo-bovis

BOVINE RHINOTRACHEITIS-VIRUS DIARRHEA-PARAINFLUENZA 3-RESPIRATORY SYNCYTIAL VIRUS VACCINE (MODIFIED-LIVE VIRUS)-LEPTOSPIRA CANICOLA-GRIPPOTYPHOSA-HARDJO-ICTEROHAEMORRHAGIAE-POMONA BACTERIN

BOVI-SHIELD GOLD FP® 5 L5 HB is the only viral combination vaccine that helps provide 365 days of comprehensive reproductive protection against viral pathogens and Lepto hardjo-bovis (LHB) to help minimize economic losses from reproductive diseases for dairy heifers and cows.

Indications

Prevents persistently infected calves caused by bovine viral diarrhea (BVD) Types 1 and 2 viruses; aids in preventing abortion caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) virus; respiratory disease caused by IBR virus, BVD Types 1 and 2 viruses, parainfluenza 3 (PI3) virus and bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV); and BVD Type 2 testicular infection. Prevents establishment in the kidney and urinary shedding caused by Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar Hardjo-type hardjo-bovis (LHB) and aids in the prevention of disease caused by L. pomona, L. grippotyphosa, L. hardjo, L. canicola and L. icterohaemorrhagiae.

BOVI-SHIELD GOLD FP® 5 VL5

Cattle reproductive vaccine with protection from IBR, BRSV, PI3 and BVD Types 1 and 2.

Cattle reproductive vaccine with protection from IBR, BRSV, PI3 and BVD Types 1 and 2.

Bovine rhinotracheitis-virus diarrhea-parainfluenza 3-respiratory syncytial virus vaccine (modified live virus)-campylobacter fetus-leptospira canicola-grippotyphosa- hardjo-icterohaemorrhagiae-pomona bacterin

BOVI-SHIELD GOLD FP® 5 VL5 is a modified-live vaccine that provides protection from bovine viral diarrhea (BVD) Types 1 and 2 viruses, infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) virus, campylobacteriosis and five serovars of leptospirosis.

Indications

Prevents persistently infected calves caused by BVD Types 1 and 2 viruses; aids in preventing abortion caused by IBR virus; respiratory disease caused by IBR virus, BVD Types 1 and 2 viruses, parainfluenza 3 (PI3) virus and bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV); BVD Type 2 testicular infection; campylobacteriosis (vibriosis) caused by Campylobacter fetus (vibrio) and leptospirosis caused by the five Leptospira serovars indicated above.

All you do is nitpick.
Neither simme or anyone else had posted any information addressing the op's issue at the time of your posting.
All you did was criticize the only answer to the op's question, without adding any useful information.
Actually the underline on a boar is important when raising breeding stock, you don't want to pass it along if not preferred.

All you do is nitpick.
The OP was about lack of Virashield availability online. Not what was safe.

Simme's post following my initial post had all the information you needed to see the error in your post.
It seems to me that a person that generally responds to peoples incorrect information as rudely as you do would actually be quite happy with how polite I was in comparison. I didn't even use your favourite "Duh!" or "Wrong!" that you are so fond of. Then despite your shortcomings you went on to insult the intelligence of the readers (or just mine, it was unclear) despite the fact that it was you whose reading comprehension was lacking.

We have used killed 5-way on cows in the fall for year (Cattlemaster Gold) for years and Bovi Shield Gold on the calves at branding in May, preconditioning in August and in September at weaning. My vet says that what the calves shed from the MLV vaccine does not transfer to the cows and cause abortions or other complications.

Latest posts