Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau":276c5qnr said:
I also use Vira Shield and Covexin 8, except that I use the Vira Shield 6 +VL5 HB. I give the Vira Shield twice per year because my Vet tells me it is only good for about 6 months. We do have a problem with late term abortion (250 days+ gestation) and the occasional weak calf in spite of culling the opens. Tests have eliminated many causes but could not rule out Lepto. Since you are already vaccinating with a the Novartis product Vira Shield, I suggest you just change to the one that includes HB. When we first began using it, my Vet said it was the only product that had the HB strain. That may have changed now.

Most drug companies, in fact, maybe all of them, offer a Hardjo Bovis vaccine.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1kufn4gg said:
LEPTO - all forms are spread by our wildlife - deer, coyotes, hogs, etc. You are not treating a disease, you are PREVENTING a disease. HB is "relatively" new strain of Lepto.
Do you believe in vaccinating your children?
I don't believe in vaccinating my kids, we did because of school policy. Do you get the flu shot? Most vaccinations are needed because of someone else's negligence. Common sense tells me, If your PREVENTING a disease why do we keep having new one's? Think the flu shot, it's a vicious circle or cycle. You can eliminate HB, the same way as the USDA eliminated BSE. The only problem with doing that is there's no money in dead cows for the drug companies.

True Grit Farms":2ppgbhtv said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ppgbhtv said:
LEPTO - all forms are spread by our wildlife - deer, coyotes, hogs, etc. You are not treating a disease, you are PREVENTING a disease. HB is "relatively" new strain of Lepto.
I don't believe in vaccinating my kids, we did because of school policy. Do you get the flu shot? Most vaccinations are needed because of someone else's negligence. Common sense tells me, If your PREVENTING a disease why do we keep having new one's? Think the flu shot, it's a vicious circle or cycle. You can eliminate HB, the same way as the USDA eliminated BSE. The only problem with doing that is there's no money in dead cows for the drug companies.
Are you serious?? Vaccinations have NOTHING to do with neglect. Vaccinations are protection to exposure. If you live with no cattle, or wild animals for a distance away and no one ever walks on your land that has exposure to cattle or wild animals, well then, you are good to go. No exposure. Aren't you lucky.
I won't even go into children getting vaccinated.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2luh00uh said:
True Grit Farms":2luh00uh said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2luh00uh said:
Are you serious?? Vaccinations have NOTHING to do with neglect. Vaccinations are protection to exposure. If you live with no cattle, or wild animals for a distance away and no one ever walks on your land that has exposure to cattle or wild animals, well then, you are good to go. No exposure. Aren't you lucky.

Jeanne. Look at it this way. Grit's logic is a compelling inspiration for our youth to get an education. :lol: :lol: :cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1tp14dbl said:
True Grit Farms":1tp14dbl said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1tp14dbl said:
Of course I'm serious, if everyone would cull every cow that doesn't produce a live calf in a 12 month period we wouldn't have HB in our cattle. There's no possible way a cow can abort a calf because it's HB positive and have another calf within a 12 month period.
So getting your kids vaccinations prevents them from getting sick? My kids are going to get sick if their vaccinated or not, I can remember my mom exposing us to kids that had the chicken pox, mumps and measles. That way later on in life they wouldn't be a problem, see to have worked great. Jeanne, I'm surprised with all you've been through that you have any faith in the medical - pharmaceutical industry to keep us healthy.

Well, I sure do. My husband had stage 4 lung cancer and they cured him. He died of two blood clots in his lungs, due to the fact that he would not "stay down" and rest and refused to take Cumadin (sp? - blood thinner). He got the blood clots on a 4 hour drive to a show. They did an awesome job with his cancer. I have absolutely no complaints with the medical field. A little more research and more people will get to be cured in the future.
Your statement makes absolutely no sense. The "disease" is not in the cattle until they get exposed to it - via wild animals mostly - or even your own dog. Soooo - do you plan on wiping out all the wild animals in the world? Let's get real.
No vaccine STOPS an animal from getting sick. It gives them the immunities to fight it off. You do not understand vaccines. I will continue to support the pharmaceutical companies, thank you very much.

True Grit Farms":2eiunnq3 said:
I can remember my mom exposing us to kids that had the chicken pox, mumps and measles. That way later on in life they wouldn't be a problem, see to have worked great.

That was the precursor to vaccination. Did the same thing with higher risk, more unpleasantness, same reward.

It would be quite a world if we were still fighting polio and small pox.

Silver":1gukbyxy said:
True Grit Farms":1gukbyxy said:
I can remember my mom exposing us to kids that had the chicken pox, mumps and measles. That way later on in life they wouldn't be a problem, see to have worked great.

That was the precursor to vaccination. Did the same thing with higher risk, more unpleasantness, same reward.

When will it ever stop? Answer is It won't ever stop. We'll be factory farming cattle because there's no way to control disease on a free range with the way some folks think. Anyone on a very minimal cattle vaccination program is already giving the cow 20+ vaccines for one thing or the other. Is this healthy and good animal husbandry for the long run? Or is it going to be a crash and burn? Let's just kick the ball down the road, life's good....for now.

True Grit Farms":6ckz5uob said:
Silver":6ckz5uob said:
True Grit Farms":6ckz5uob said:

When will it ever stop? Answer is It won't ever stop. We'll be factory farming cattle because there's no way to control disease on a free range with the way some folks think. Anyone on a very minimal cattle vaccination program is already giving the cow 20+ vaccines for one thing or the other. Is this healthy and good animal husbandry for the long run? Or is it going to be a crash and burn? Let's just kick the ball down the road, life's good....for now.

I don't see how strengthening and preparing an immune system to deal deal with the viral infections we know are out there have anything to do with kicking a can down the road. I guess we can agree to disagree on this, and you can thank your neighbours for vaccinating their herds and by extension giving yours a level of protection.

Silver":3cdcsgsv said:
True Grit Farms":3cdcsgsv said:
Silver":3cdcsgsv said:

I don't see how strengthening and preparing an immune system to deal deal with the viral infections we know are out there have anything to do with kicking a can down the road. I guess we can agree to disagree on this, and you can thank your neighbours for vaccinating their herds and by extension giving yours a level of protection.

Bingo Silver the very reason the cattle industry is headed for womb to tomb operations just like pork and chicken.
Goofy people will pay extra for papers but won't invest in a BQA program.

Silver":3p23y1y6 said:
True Grit Farms":3p23y1y6 said:
Silver":3p23y1y6 said:

My neighbors don't vaccinate, don't worm and as a matter of fact they don't do anything for their cows. Two of my neighbors share one bull he breeds between 70 - 90 head a year. I do not condone their management practices but I do own a backhoe and I've only buried 3 cows for them in 12 years. They manage the same way as their grandfather managed.

True Grit Farms":269apslp said:
Silver":269apslp said:
True Grit Farms":269apslp said:

My neighbors don't vaccinate, don't worm and as a matter of fact they don't do anything for their cows. Two of my neighbors share one bull he breeds between 70 - 90 head a year. I do not condone their management practices but I do own a backhoe and I've only buried 3 cows for them in 12 years. They manage the same way as their grandfather managed.

Sounds to me like they are among the few making money.

I'm the last person to get all preachy about vaccine programmes, but I wouldn't be without some protection on the stock I keep. I've seen blackleg get awful close to home, and I've made the mistake of not getting somnus into my keeper heifers one year. That was an expensive and needless experience.

Bright Raven":xv0sw9cj said:
True Grit Farms":xv0sw9cj said:
Silver":xv0sw9cj said:

Sounds to me like they are among the few making money.
They definitely net more per head than I do.

Silver":1rnqdjzg said:
I'm the last person to get all preachy about vaccine programmes, but I wouldn't be without some protection on the stock I keep. I've seen blackleg get awful close to home, and I've made the mistake of not getting somnus into my keeper heifers one year. That was an expensive and needless experience.
I vaccinate every cow on the place, do I think they all need to be vaccinated no way. We sell bulls, and heifers at sales through out Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. We also retained ownership on 6 steers through a UGA program this year just to see where we stand. I'm not a big fan of MLV, but we use it when the use of a MLV is a requirement. We vaccinate for our protection and reputation, our buyers protection and for our animals protection. I know the so called right way to do things in the cattle business. But I believe in questioning and asking why to things that don't add up. We have a long way to go in the southeast as far as having our calves ready for the feedlots. But I've heard from a few different feedlots that the cattle from the southeast once they get straightened around, out gain cattle from anywhere else in the country. That tells me education is the key to success, but some folks can't or don't care to see the light.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1yuhlfpk said:
So you just like to bi[ch about it????
It is like there are two different people posting as True Grit Farm. Very contradictory.

You got It!

He doesn't know whether to shyt or go blind :hat:

But he does have a good heart and we all pray for him.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":23dbwenk said:
So you just like to bi[ch about it????
It is like there are two different people posting as True Grit Farm. Very contradictory.
I like to hear both sides of the debate. Seems like everyone is just following the leader. And the leader is the drug and pharmaceutical companies. I ask questions and because you should, it might prevent, and maybe doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure glad our local UGA vet, Dr Lee Jones, DMV, MS who set up our vaccination program doesn't work for any pharmaceutical companies. He also happens to be a UGA, Veterinary Diagnostic Investigator, and is up to date on what's happening in the beef production medicine side of our industry. Dr Jones, has what he calls a pet peave that hasn't even been mentioned, and it's the most important part in animal health. One needle one animal, never use the same needle in different animals.

Dr Jones, has what he calls a pet peave that hasn't even been mentioned, and it's the most important part in animal health. One needle one animal, never use the same needle in different animals.
This is a big deal especially on IM shots. BLV for one reason. Same thing for AI sleeves or during palpation. Side note at no extra cost ;-) : ironically it is not a big deal in sheep even though we often talk about their weaknesses more.

And when their calves get to the next buyer and collapse due to disease, lack of minerals in the system and/or stored in the liver then who pays the expense? Every seller of calve in the source area because the buyers perceive that every calf from those barns are high risk and worth less. That is the Cliff Note version of the history of sale barn calves in the SE USA.

Latest posts