Cattle Prices Going Forward

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky":2nj3gidu said:
I wish I could post a link to a youtube video I watched that tslked about the true cost of ranching. I watched it thinking "whatever" but he pretty well nailed it. Oh yea funny how one of the folks that gets upset about CG8 using the term "Hobby Rancher" fessed up that most are. I'm gonna say the Seedstock and Show Cattle industry isn't a blimp on the radar when it comes to feeder cattle.

I consider a "hobby" farm to be one with less than 50 brood cows and subsidized by outside income. 90 % of the producers in Kentucky fit that. Bigfoot has made that point many times. I think one of his posts was that "the average producer in Kentucky who says they are making money does not do a good job keeping track of their expenses".

Regarding show stock. A lot of money is spent in that part of the industry. It is an important component of the whole.

Some of that beef coming from Argentina is owned by American operators they just have ranches down there. Look up the King Ranch's land holdings. I know of several also. So if you wonder why the US is buying beef from Argentina... follow the money trail. ;-)

Brute 23":3ojql7ry said:
Some of that beef coming from Argentina is owned by American operators they just have ranches down there. Look up the King Ranch's land holdings. I know of several also. So if you wonder why the US is buying beef from Argentina... follow the money trail. ;-)
Brazil has hoof and mouth disease for sure, and there's no telling what else. JBS is crooked and the pride and joy of Brazil beef.

If I'm not mistaken, the majority of beef in this country is produced by farmers with less than 30 mommas . That is a lot of small guys , who get hurt the worst . With fuel prices rising , and the other factors associated , you can look forward to another recession , and possible economic collapse . In the depression , a good laying hen was worth more than a beef . Smoot/Hawley and isolationist / protectionist policy made matters worse, not better .

snoopdog":1mwxsokg said:
If I'm not mistaken, the majority of beef in this country is produced by farmers with less than 30 mommas . That is a lot of small guys , who get hurt the worst . With fuel prices rising , and the other factors associated , you can look forward to another recession , and possible economic collapse . In the depression , a good laying hen was worth more than a beef . Smoot/Hawley and isolationist / protectionist policy made matters worse, not better .

That is very interesting Snoop. I've never heard this. I know I'm a little slow, but reckon why? I know the hen will keep laying until the farmer or a varmint ate her, but it would take a lot of eggs to equal a side of beef.

But you don't need storage facilities for a few eggs a day, eat them as they're laid.. A side of beef, well, need freezers, etc

Eggs brought a premium for eating /baking if sold as well as butter from the family milk cow. In rural areas , electricity was still very uncommon and storage of a large meat animal wasn't very viable.

JMJ Farms":3hz1yubl said:
snoopdog":3hz1yubl said:

That is very interesting Snoop. I've never heard this. I know I'm a little slow, but reckon why? I know the hen will keep laying until the farmer or a varmint ate her, but it would take a lot of eggs to equal a side of beef.

Got .35 a pound on kill cow yesterday.

In Texas 92% of the beef raised is in herds of less than 35. That's roughly 10 million head.
That is according to the last TAMU workshop I attended.

Many a hog was cured and never saw refrigeration.

That's why I love the security that we get from the 35-40 ewes we run. Sheep were very popular in the days before refrigeration.

About half of them have twins. That leaves you with about lamb a week till the next crop.

i just read cattle exports were up .. i think it said 23% from a year ago which is a new export record.

ddd75":1s8yyysx said:
i just read cattle exports were up .. i think it said 23% from a year ago which is a new export record.

I flunked math but my figuring says that prices should be up 23% as well :?:

Latest posts