You going Josher?

Help Support CattleToday:

Watched the video... nice bulls but one thing I noticed is how fleshy they are in comparison to some of the bull sales here in Va and surrounding areas. Also how they talk about the hair coat. Is that due to the long hard winters that y'all have up there?
How do their bulls run as far as costs? Here we will see lots of bulls in the $3-6000 range ...US... so that would be about $4-8,000 Canadian? The rate is something like $1. US = $1.30 or 1.35 Canadian correct?
Many of those bulls looked shorter legged than what we see here... I was a little surprised because of the vast amounts of area they have to travel while out on pastures.
How many bulls do you figure? One bull to 30-40-50 cows?
I would love to spend a couple weeks like a fly on the wall just seeing the type of operation that you all have... Wish I was 30 and could take that kind of time to experience some of it...
We need some bulls/calves here that have some "body" on them like y'all have up there....

All the bulls look well fed for sure !
They always are, their philosophy is it is easier to sell well grown out, fat bulls than underdeveloped thinner ones and they are right. Still would rather they weren quite that heavy. The genetics behind these bulls have done a lot for our cow herd.

Boy id like to go to one of those sales. I don't actually need a bull right now as I've been raising my own through AI. But that's one sale I'd sure enjoy watching the amount of quality bulls and the pace they gotta sell them to finish. Are you going gcreekrch? Also how do you tag someone's name in a comment?

Boy id like to go to one of those sales. I don't actually need a bull right now as I've been raising my own through AI. But that's one sale I'd sure enjoy watching the amount of quality bulls and the pace they gotta sell them to finish. Are you going gcreekrch? Also how do you tag someone's name in a comment?
I haven't been there in almost 10 years but Mac know what I like and sends me good bulls. At one time I sold bulls over here for him and order bought during the sale. One every 45 to 50 seconds. You better have your bulls picked and budget written on each choice. There is no time for second thoughts. Not going this year either. Maybe next year the boss will let me escape!
You know them Wasden fellas?

@MurraysMutts thanks
@gcreekrch
Well if your out this way one of these years it'd be neat to meet at the sale. Yes I met a wasden at the local vet grand opening. Apparently they were instrumental in getting the new vet to come and take over the business. I talked to him there that's the one that sells Hereford bulls?

@farmerjan dont let age stop you. If you come touring maybe come in summer it is much more pleasant

Watched the video... nice bulls but one thing I noticed is how fleshy they are in comparison to some of the bull sales here in Va and surrounding areas. Also how they talk about the hair coat. Is that due to the long hard winters that y'all have up there?
How do their bulls run as far as costs? Here we will see lots of bulls in the $3-6000 range ...US... so that would be about $4-8,000 Canadian? The rate is something like $1. US = $1.30 or 1.35 Canadian correct?
Many of those bulls looked shorter legged than what we see here... I was a little surprised because of the vast amounts of area they have to travel while out on pastures.
How many bulls do you figure? One bull to 30-40-50 cows?
I would love to spend a couple weeks like a fly on the wall just seeing the type of operation that you all have... Wish I was 30 and could take that kind of time to experience some of it...
We need some bulls/calves here that have some "body" on them like y'all have up there....
A lot of guys up here get their bulls to fleshy imo. Having said that, underdeveloped bulls won't bring the dollars.
Hair coat here is important for winter.
Shorter legged or just more thickness and depth of body? They can travel just like any other single male! We like to get them home asap if possible to acclimate them and take off a little grease.
We run 6 bulls per 100 cows, Others go up to 25 per bull.
I am thinking the average on this sale will be over $7500 and am prepared to average 11 for the bulls I want.

You are welcome here for a visit any time.

Buy some semen on this guy. We have several sons of his.

1705624464278.jpeg

@MurraysMutts thanks
@gcreekrch
Well if your out this way one of these years it'd be neat to meet at the sale. Yes I met a wasden at the local vet grand opening. Apparently they were instrumental in getting the new vet to come and take over the business. I talked to him there that's the one that sells Hereford bulls?

@farmerjan dont let age stop you. If you come touring maybe come in summer it is much more pleasant
Know both brothers well.

A lot of guys up here get their bulls to fleshy imo. Having said that, underdeveloped bulls won't bring the dollars.
Hair coat here is important for winter.
Shorter legged or just more thickness and depth of body? They can travel just like any other single male! We like to get them home asap if possible to acclimate them and take off a little grease.
We run 6 bulls per 100 cows, Others go up to 25 per bull.
I am thinking the average on this sale will be over $7500 and am prepared to average 11 for the bulls I want.

You are welcome here for a visit any time.

Buy some semen on this guy. We have several sons of his.

View attachment 39702
That's a lot of bulls for the number of cows. I could never make that many bulls pencil out, even when I had really good grass and cheap land.

And that was a great set of bulls in the link. Only two or three on the go-by that I would have passed on.

That's a lot of bulls for the number of cows. I could never make that many bulls pencil out, even when I had really good grass and cheap land.

And that was a great set of bulls in the link. Only two or three on the go-by that I would have passed on.
We semen test every year and evaluate. As long as they can walk and screw they stay.. We had one stay until he was 10 and crocked up. Lots of daughters he left behind.

@gcreekrch do you keep your own replacements or just buy them. Just wondering if you didn't have to worry about him being with his daughters then potentially you could justify keeping a bull around longer and pay more for him as more of a terminal type. Here they typically are gone by the time they are about 5 because of too many daughters retained and generally become meat heads destroying the place trying to kill each other from time to time.

@gcreekrch do you keep your own replacements or just buy them. Just wondering if you didn't have to worry about him being with his daughters then potentially you could justify keeping a bull around longer and pay more for him as more of a terminal type. Here they typically are gone by the time they are about 5 because of too many daughters retained and generally become meat heads destroying the place trying to kill each other from time to time.
We retain 100 to 140 heifer calves to breed annually. With close to 50 bulls and several range areas the chances are there but slim.
'I hear you about the meatheads but try to ignore that fact because most males of breeding age are! We made a mistake of trying to keep too many bulls in one group. Not sure what happened but overnight there was a brawl and a good 4 year old became bait.

Are they the ones you brought home? 🙄
I wish.
No I managed to stop my hand from going up this sale. I think I'm gonna keep AI my own bulls. I can't justify spending that much on a bull. The ones I would have liked were a minimum of 7500.
There was a simmental angus cross bull sold for 20 thousand. Bulls were bought from all over the place. A number of bulls went to Ohio some went to New Brunswick some to BC

I wish.
No I managed to stop my hand from going up this sale. I think I'm gonna keep AI my own bulls. I can't justify spending that much on a bull. The ones I would have liked were a minimum of 7500.
There was a simmental angus cross bull sold for 20 thousand. Bulls were bought from all over the place. A number of bulls went to Ohio some went to New Brunswick some to BC
How many times did you hear Guichon Creek Ranch? Two of my top picks for red and black angus there.

Latest posts