I'm Only Buying Black Angus Cows Going Forth

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
So I took my second round of calves to market (Paris, TX) last Wednesday. They were 4 heifers, 1 bull calf that I got in an August cow/calf sale. Needless to say, both the cows and calves were distressed but in the last 5 months they managed to put on weight, at least enough to recover half my purchase price (not including hay and cubes). These are the results and observations.

1) bull red angus, 245# at 205, $502.25
2) heifer red angus, 475# at 140, $665.00
3) heifer red angus, 370# at 172, $638.00
4) heifer red angus, 295# at 145, $427.75
5) heifer black angus, 410# at 195, $799.50

Number 2 and 5 were maybe a month apart, yet #5 brought in 55 more. Of the lot, I liked #3 the best, but even her brought in 23 less than the black angus. All claves were weaned ( or almost weaned as I seldom saw them nurse) when I bought them, not because they were too old, but it seemed to me like the mothers had dried up during the drought. Number 1 and #4 were ugly as sin, their mother's were definitely dry when I bought them. I'm surprised the bull calf, #1 (nuts and all) brought in 205.

So my take away from this is to cull any cow that gives me red calves and keep only those that drop black. The red angus mother of #5 already dropped another black calf in October, so she is staying, plus she's a good mother. The mothers of #1 and #4, I'll probably sell as heavy bred or as a pair in due time. The other two I'm not sure.

@Hpacres440p right on. I like to see reds in the herd and smokies too. Black is the new Green.
If your marketed product is "the right color", you can keep the full-time employees more diverse. Even with black cows, if any are hetero, you still need a homo black bull. In Texas heat, my reds and whites sure seem to tolerate the summers better than the blacks do..

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why are you selling them so light?
They came as pairs in August with mothers that were dry for the most part. For example, the black heifer must have been at least 11 months since her mother dropped a calf at the end of October and she was only 410#. In August I had some grass still, but I've been feeding hay since last of September. I figured I was past the point of diminishing returns given that most were prematurely weaned. Also, I don't want the bull to catch them at 12 months.

What are you going to do when this happens? :p:D

y4mHhn0jy_kULu20kNIT-JAZnL2WPw54pY_llkiz7m7Hmimbt6ek7oQgwEw8kvBVh5HbiLq-GxouSfHUY6OCJdVi8O8Zigh7tBr28duv5XXE2UZWd-YtZBCC5fG1nmRkAp933NXPAW7eSuQIrPUyc-SxEA7DyXHA2RmPiJxbiiZryDPwjT5wFr20rK0oWyYG8b2

I took calves to market (Paris, TX) last Wednesday.

1) bull red angus, 245# at 2.05 $502.25
2) heifer red angus, 465# at 1.40 $665
3) heifer red angus, 370# at 1.72 $638.00
5) heifer black angus, 410# at 1.95 $800

I liked #3 the best, All calves were weaned.... the mothers had dried up during the drought. Number 1 the red angus bull calf was ugly as sin, I'm surprised he brought $502
So my take away from this is to cull any cow that gives me red calves
Producing what your market wants is the smart thing to do.
Using a homo black bull is a more cost efficient way of doing it than culling a good red cow and keeping a lower quality black cow, just because of her color.

Last edited:
If I were going to get back in the long term cow/calf business (that ain't going to happen) I would buy growthy Hereford cows and breed them to a real good Angus bull.
I like a Hereford bull, for his disposition, on angus or baldies.

Your herd cost will be higher with black cows and otb bull .
Than with otb cows and black bull .
You can also end up with red calfs from black baldy cows and otb bull.

Latest posts