I'm Only Buying Black Angus Cows Going Forth

Help Support CattleToday:

How is the temperament of Brangus due to the Brahman influence. I've been around eared cattle and they have never given me the warm and fussy. Plus I find them to be a bit flighty. My neighbor got rid of his Brangus bull because he couldn't keep him inside the fence.

How is the temperament of Brangus due to the Brahman influence. I've been around eared cattle and they have never given me the warm and fussy. Plus I find them to be a bit flighty. My neighbor got rid of his Brangus bull because he couldn't keep him inside the fence.
Dealt with brangus and other eared cattle off and on for 20+ years now. They vary from specimen to specimen. Some will come and crawl in your back pocket when you're trying to squirrel hunt and some will never let you get closer than four or five feet without being caught up. Both have their advantages and both are dependent on situation, genetics, and raising. You don't want to do too much extra cowboy sh** with them unless you're well-mounted, but most can be habituated to come to a bucket and you just work from there. I've had brangus and brangus cross and other brimmer cross cows you could hug on like a horse and hand feed kudzu. I've had others that must have smoked Marlboros because they sure thought themselves cowboy killers. Overall, any cow left in pure range conditions won't always be a cotton-head. They make FANTASTIC mothers. Anything with ear will only lose a calf she's already birthed by acts of God or overwhelming circumstance in my experience. They will lead you to a stashed calf if you stand on a high spot and bleat like a calf. You can and likely will have some Angus problems, brimmer blood isn't a lifelong vaccine against that. But overall, I like them. I like anything with that brimmer cut in, though you won't always catch me willing to turn my back on them. They have to be used to kids and dogs and ATVs before you inundate them with that. I have some pictures of me and my wife and daughters feeding a herd of them yesterday with our backs turned.

I did the opposite and switched to all red angus females with black bull. But I wouldn't hesitate to use black if they were good, i just went with the best I could easily find and didn't care about color.

View attachment 25028
Smartest most economical way to do it. You can buy red angus cheaper than you can black Angus, and they will raise black polled calves as good as black cows would. That's a nice bunch you got there, Chaded.

Latest posts