Cattle Prices Going Forward

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This is in no way intended to start a political debate. It is a serious question about the Administration's tariffs and how they will affect cattle prices in the near future.
Chinese 25% tariffs on US Beef take effect on July 6th, Canada imposed a 10% tariff on US beef on Monday. How do you think will this affect cattle prices in the next two years or possibly longer?

I sure can't see beef tariffs being a good thing for beef markets. If we get another 4 years in 2020 the farmers that survive will be looking good. I can't see where any other country can compete with the US of A. We have the buying power and technology to compete with anyone if need be.
Canada is screwed, the fact is we don't really need anything they have, it could get bad for Canada in a hurry.

True Grit Farms":1y0ozzuh said:
I sure can't see beef tariffs being a good thing for beef markets. If we get another 4 years in 2020 the farmers that survive will be looking good. I can't see where any other country can compete with the US of A. We have the buying power and technology to compete with anyone if need be.
Canada is screwed, the fact is we don't really need anything they have, it could get bad for Canada in a hurry.

Technology is everywhere. Countries that can't produce it - steal it. How do you stop it? Even US companies steal from one another. If you market your technology, then it can be duplicated. There are exceptions. In education - buddy, we are falling off a cliff. Our Universities are watering down all their programs. I socialize with a group of college professors who are my age. If we go to eat, they bitck and moan the whole evening about how far college academics has descended in the last 30 years. Watch out, in 30 years if this continues, we will be sending our more gifted young men and women to foreign universities so they can get a better education. Right now if you look at PhD candidates at any of the top 20 universities in the US, 50 percent are foreign. When Clint was getting his PhD in cancer cell biology at Vanderbilt, I thought I was in Asia when I went into the graduate suites.

china accounts for almost 0 beef exports. and we just trade dollars with canada.. we don't need either.

ddd75":2efmjuvu said:
china accounts for almost 0 beef exports. and we just trade dollars with canada.. we don't need either.

The object with China for the last year has not been to preserve the status quo - the objective has been to foster an export market with China. You missed the point. We need them if we want a new market. Just because they don't buy beef now, doesn't mean we would not like that to change. China has the potential to be the biggest export market for beef on the planet.

Bright Raven":2hh8lwij said:
ddd75":2hh8lwij said:

The object with China for the last year has not been to preserve the status quo - the objective has been to foster an export market with China. You missed the point. We need them if we want a new market. Just because they don't buy beef now, doesn't mean we would not like that to change. China has the potential to be the biggest export market for beef on the planet.
True, and we need to use our buying power to make it US beef.

Two years? Hahaha. Maybe 2 months. Canucks are already getting p!ssed paying tariffs on US goods - only been 5 days.

Support for supply managed bovine tit pullers is eroding fast amongst regular Joe Canuck public.

My prediction, our Dumbo leader will be begging for forgiveness before Nov 4th. Either that, or we are headed straight for recession.

Lovely day to spend stateside. Far more optimism there. Or maybe everyone is still hungover from last night.

Bright Raven":3cqcwiys said:
In education - buddy, we are falling off a cliff. Our Universities are watering down all their programs. Watch out, in 30 years if this continues, we will be sending our more gifted young men and women to foreign universities so they can get a better education.

I'm afraid this is so much truer than most folks realize. The majority don't even care. But for the ones that do care, I'm not sure there is much they can do. It starts in elementary school. Bc of government mandates and common core curriculums, as well as overall "sorryness" of parents and students alike, our children are becoming dumber. Believe It. It sure scares me. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but sometimes I wonder if it's part of a "master plan".

As for cattle prices, I thing they will remain fairly stable. Minor ups and downs but nothing historical. But I could be terribly wrong. No way to know. I say get in, sit down, shut up, hold on, and enjoy the ride :tiphat:

ddd75":2skv8abg said:
But this is where the focus was. There are cuts of beef that are not popular here that are very popular in China. This was the market of the future. China will import 2.26 billion pounds of beef in 2018. The US accounts for only 1% of that.
This Article explains the potential:
http://www.farmtalknewspaper.com/ne...cle_b1195e2a-fa3c-11e7-b028-f7a9987de618.html

JMJ Farms":35qylgrp said:
Bright Raven":35qylgrp said:
In education - buddy, we are falling off a cliff. Our Universities are watering down all their programs. Watch out, in 30 years if this continues, we will be sending our more gifted young men and women to foreign universities so they can get a better education.

I'm afraid this is so much truer than most folks realize. The majority don't even care. But for the ones that do care, I'm not sure there is much they can do. It starts in elementary school. Bc of government mandates and common core curriculums, as well as overall "sorryness" of parents and students alike, our children are becoming dumber. Believe It. It sure scares me. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but sometimes I wonder if it's part of a "master plan".

As for cattle prices, I thing they will remain fairly stable. Minor ups and downs but nothing historical. But I could be terribly wrong. No way to know. I say get in, sit down, shut up, hold on, and enjoy the ride :tiphat:

A lot has to do with catering to the spoiled younger generation. They don't want to put effort into things of value - like a good education. They don't seek knowledge- all they want is a certificate or qualification for a job. I say this with deep regret but the quality of education is being dumbed down because the colleges are over a barrel. In order to attract enough students to fulfill their enrollment quote, they have resorted to prostituting the University.

Bright Raven":3g5bj8w9 said:
JMJ Farms":3g5bj8w9 said:
Bright Raven":3g5bj8w9 said:

A lot has to do with catering to the spoiled younger generation. They don't want to put effort into things of value - like a good education. They don't seek knowledge- all they want is a certificate or qualification for a job. I say this with deep regret but the quality of education is being dumbed down because the colleges are over a barrel. In order to attract enough students to fulfill their enrollment quote, they have resorted to prostituting the University.

Funny you said that. I just made a similar post in another thread.

Bright Raven":1vhlaqyw said:
ddd75":1vhlaqyw said:

wasn't the topic post referencing where beef prices are going RIGHT NOW? not 'in the future'.. so I don't think I missed the point.

sstterry":3gmgnhl2 said:
ddd75":3gmgnhl2 said:
But this is where the focus was. There are cuts of beef that are not popular here that are very popular in China. This was the market of the future. China will import 2.26 billion pounds of beef in 2018. The US accounts for only 1% of that.
This Article explains the potential:
http://www.farmtalknewspaper.com/ne...cle_b1195e2a-fa3c-11e7-b028-f7a9987de618.html
Our leadership is 100% to blame for this travesty. I think our governments plan has been to keep the price of beef low, and subsidize the farmers just enough to keep them producing cheap food. There's really no other explanation why we don't force China to buy US beef. After all we only buy billions of dollars of stuff from them.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Life's very simple, man just makes it complicated.

sstterry":5vguynlk said:
This is in no way intended to start a political debate. It is a serious question about the Administration's tariffs and how they will affect cattle prices in the near future.
Chinese 25% tariffs on US Beef take effect on July 6th, Canada imposed a 10% tariff on US beef on Monday. How do you think will this affect cattle prices in the next two years or possibly longer?

I don't think it will be an immediate change but I feel prices will take a steady decline in the future not sure how long or when.

Latest posts