Cattle guard warning! Ugly pics!

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":2s17tpdz said:
So sorry to see that; and knowing both of you suffered for it. And yes, we all have done something dumb, or NOT done something we should have, and paid the price one way or another. Have had a couple of animals "walk" them and a few jump them and I have always worried about someone breaking a leg.
Thanks for sharing so that we can all think twice before we do/ or don't do something questionable in the future.
+1 Very well stated. I have done things when in hindsight I wished I had done them differently.

Pipe or cement cattle guard?

I planted a steer week before last, about 4 days before his slaughter date. That hurt.

Black and Good":23s6lu9l said:
This is how the story ends I couldn't find a slaughter house that would take her so I put her out of her misery! I have and try and forget this day. LOL B&G

I've wondered about trying to field dress an animal in a situation like this ... did that possibility enter your thinking?

That is a bad deal. I would have filled my freezer, but the meat might have had an off flavor since I'm sure her adrenaline was flowing.

WalnutCrest":2bpbtvtb said:
Black and Good":2bpbtvtb said:
This is how the story ends I couldn't find a slaughter house that would take her so I put her out of her misery! I have and try and forget this day. LOL B&G

I've wondered about trying to field dress an animal in a situation like this ... did that possibility enter your thinking?

Yeah, I do need a beer! My freezer is full. The last time I tried that, it was real grassy tasting hamburger. I just wanted it over with. B&G

ohiosteve":sih4m2cz said:
That is a bad deal. I would have filled my freezer, but the meat might have had an off flavor since I'm sure her adrenaline was flowing.

Yeah, she was in so much pain she was on the fight. As I stated in the prior post it has had a grassy taste in the past. It was just a bad day! :???: B&G

Black and Good":yrs5nzj8 said:
ohiosteve":yrs5nzj8 said:

Yeah, she was in so much pain she was on the fight. As I stated in the prior post it has had a grassy taste in the past. It was just a bad day! :???: B&G

Just got to put it behind you and move on. I've had some experiences that I'm better off not remembering myself.

Ooooofffff. :frowns:

Really sorry to hear/see that.

Got a friend with cattle guards, concrete, he's had one get hurt, and a few that would run them. I don't want them, as I'm afraid of just this sort of thing.

Thanks for being willing to share this, so that others may learn.

I've wanted cattle guards in the past and every now and then I'll still catch myself wanting one. This thread here has made me glad I never put one in. So sorry for your loss B&G, I know how you must have felt losing a nice female like that.

They are a great tool. I cannot even explain how many cattle guards we have and how many I have installed over the years with zero issue.

Not to beat up the OP, but they are not made to wean across. Can't really blame the cattle guard for that.

Brute 23":1p3hsnmo said:
They are a great tool. I cannot even explain how many cattle guards we have and how many I have installed over the years with zero issue.

Not to beat up the OP, but they are not made to wean across. Can't really blame the cattle guard for that.

Agreed, Thats why I stated I blame myself. B&G

So sorry...We had cattle guards for years. One day my horse Smokey decided he didn't like my daughters horse Goldie. He chased her into the guard where both her front feet got stuck. Smokey then decided to beat the heck out of her since she couldn't get away. I was nearby when it happened. I ran over there, threw a stick at Smokey, and jumped on top of Goldie's neck to hold her down and keep her from struggling. I stayed like that for 4 hours. Learned that day we don't get much traffic on our road. Finally someone came by. No one I knew, just someone cruising around, but they slowly passed with their window down and went on by, not thinking a thing seeing a person hanging from a horses neck. I screamed at them and luckily they backed up. I could barely talk, but asked if they could go down the road to my inlaws house to get me help. Husband had to use a torch to get her feet out. She was not hurt a bit but if I hadn't been there it would have been a different story... Fenced off the guards. Used them to keep loose neighbors cows out of yard but eventually got rid of both. One of my kids busted their chins on one too...