Cattle For Profit?

Help Support CattleToday:

mossy_oak23

Reaction score
What are the different managment plans aside from dairy that can be profitable in raising cattle? For example cow calf? What defines a cow calf operation and what are the other alternatives?

theres a few things that deem an operation profitable.1 are you raising cows as a hobby/prp tax breaks.2 do you have a fulltime off farm job.3 do you want to raise cattle fulltime.4 do you know what you have in each calf from birth to weaning.5 are you selling your calves for more than what it cost to maintain the cow.6 all of the above work hand in hand.along with are you raising reg or comm cows.7 if reg do you sell show heifers an steers.along with breeding age bulls.

No im not raising them as a hobby looking to get into it full time. Im still young and looking at how this is done. I have little to no experience with the business side of raising cattle. So do most people start there own herd? Get some cows and a breeder bull and then wean the calves and sell them off? What is the benefit of selling the calves vs letting them reach maturity? I probably sound stupid but you gotta start somewhere ;-)

What part of the world do you call home? What type of land do you have/are considering?

I've been told raising cattle can be lucrative. HAHAHA. Maybe so, after everything is paid for, but expect some tough sledding between now and then. Answers to the above questions may help direct the responses a bit.

bigbull338":3693hou8 said:
theres a few things that deem an operation profitable.1 are you raising cows as a hobby/prp tax breaks.2 do you have a fulltime off farm job.3 do you want to raise cattle fulltime.4 do you know what you have in each calf from birth to weaning.5 are you selling your calves for more than what it cost to maintain the cow.6 all of the above work hand in hand.along with are you raising reg or comm cows.7 if reg do you sell show heifers an steers.along with breeding age bulls.
answers to your questions:

1. Not a hobby
2. I am in school and looking to make this my fulltime job
3. Yes
4. ? huh :?
5. hopefully
6. What is the difference between commericial and registered cattle?
7. Refer to answer 6.

Thanks for all the help anyone can offer!!!

fargus":vorbycd6 said:
What part of the world do you call home? What type of land do you have/are considering?

I've been told raising cattle can be lucrative. HAHAHA. Maybe so, after everything is paid for, but expect some tough sledding between now and then. Answers to the above questions may help direct the responses a bit.
Im in southwestern Ontario but willing to go anywhere in Canada.

M_O,

It is my understanding from a number of Canadian friends that it is challenging to make money in any aspect of the cattle business in your country right now. There are a number of full time Canadian cattle producers on this forum who may be able to help you with the specifics of the business in Canada.

In the US, what is listed below is what contributes to long term profitability. I am talking about operations that make double digit return on assets every year.

1) Own as little as possible. This means land, cattle, equipment, and facilities. If it rusts, rots, or depreciates, it limits profitability. Some of the highest return beef operations run contract cattle on leased land. They own no cattle or land. All the operator provides is management and labor. As profit is accumulated, they may purchase land and/or their own cattle.

2) Let the cattle do all the work they can. This means they should harvest their own feed as many days of the year as possible (365 being the goal!), fertilize the fields and control the weeds, breed and calve every 365 days, calve on their own, stay healthy with minimal inputs. If you're running yearlings the same things apply except for the breeding part. Hard to get a steer bred....

3) Market effectively. Never just sell an animal. If you're a people-person, market food not commodities. That is where the real profit is.

Real quick guys what is the most common method of raising cattle for beef? Would it be cow/calf and what the he** does COW/CALF MEAN!!!! ;-)

mossy_oak23":1jsgyt7o said:
Real quick guys what is the most common method of raising cattle for beef? Would it be cow/calf and what the he** does COW/CALF MEAN!!!! ;-)

Cow/calf refers to running a herd (or herds) of momma cows that produce calves. Most cow/calf ranchers sell their calves at weaning - 6 or 7 months old.

skyline":1c5oa2sx said:
mossy_oak23":1c5oa2sx said:

Cow/calf refers to running a herd (or herds) of momma cows that produce calves. Most cow/calf ranchers sell their calves at weaning - 6 or 7 months old.
is it common practice to have a breeder bull as well?

Well , if you enjoy working hard and barely scraping by as well as being so stressed out at night that you can't sleep , then the cattle business is for you . Basically everything in this business is out of your control .
My oldest son left home for college 2 years ago and my other son plans on joining him next year.
They are hard working boys , they used to do everything from feeding and haying to pulling calves and they were good at it. I could'nt give them the farm, they told me they don't know why anyone would work so hard for so little.
One huge problem you have is that you don't know anything about cattle.You would be smart to try to get a job on a ranch somewhere and work for wages while you learn about cattle and all that's involved in the business.

mossy_oak23":nbc7rfb5 said:
skyline":nbc7rfb5 said:
mossy_oak23":nbc7rfb5 said:

is it common practice to have a breeder bull as well?

Some people AI, some have a bull, just depends on what you want to do.

I think the best advice you have gotten is go work for someone. I am unsure of why anyone who knows nothing about cattle would consider jumping in head first. Go test the water by getting a job on a ranch.

Probably getting a job first to get experience and find out if you like it would be good advice, but if you intend to just jump in then I would suggest start out small and try to keep costs as low as possible.
Right now the economics of most livestock operations are pretty poor, but if you are young and starting out it might be a good opportunity to buy in at low prices. And if you find you don't like raising cattle or the profits are so poor you can't...all you are out is some money...and you can always get more money, but you will have gained an experience and probably some business education in the real world! It's called living your life?
I have spent my whole life raising cows. I can honestly say I enjoyed most of it and it has been a very good life. There are so many good things about living in the country and growing things, whether livestock or crops or kids... I think it is good for your soul!
The fact of the matter is this: We all quit cattle sooner or later...some by design...some get carried out feet first...its how we live and enjoy our life that matters.

Alberta farmer":cyfflvb7 said:
Probably getting a job first to get experience and find out if you like it would be good advice, but if you intend to just jump in then I would suggest start out small and try to keep costs as low as possible.
Right now the economics of most livestock operations are pretty poor, but if you are young and starting out it might be a good opportunity to buy in at low prices. And if you find you don't like raising cattle or the profits are so poor you can't...all you are out is some money...and you can always get more money, but you will have gained an experience and probably some business education in the real world! It's called living your life?
I have spent my whole life raising cows. I can honestly say I enjoyed most of it and it has been a very good life. There are so many good things about living in the country and growing things, whether livestock or crops or kids... I think it is good for your soul!
The fact of the matter is this: We all quit cattle sooner or later...some by design...some get carried out feet first...its how we live and enjoy our life that matters.
for sure i will be getting hands on experience before i drop the initial investment to get this going. In your opinion base on your experience raising cattle do you feel someone that wants to start their own cattle ranch and knows next to nothing should just get as much experience on farms or go to college for it?

mossy_oak23":10rqyz7g said:
In your opinion base on your experience raising cattle do you feel someone that wants to start their own cattle ranch and knows next to nothing should just get as much experience on farms or go to college for it?
In todays day and age, BOTH. 50 years ago the hands on experience was better but not anymore.

If you don't know a thing about raising cattle, get a dedicated mentor asap. Otherwise, cattle will surprise you and you will make them suffer as a result of ignorance. I know an eccentric man that let a cow kill herself because he had no idea that cows could have complications giving birth. Calf leg back and the cow just exhausted herself and died. Also be ready to live a humble life. You don't get to go out and party. Your pretty anti-social. Believe me when I say that, as a full-time farmer, you will question whether or not you can afford to get fuel each time you pull up to the station. Top notch for lifestyle, but not going to hit gold in a standard of living. :cowboy:

If you have to buy or lease land, there will be no profit. You will lose money. I'd be suprised if anyone here disagrees with that statement. If there is someone who is doing so and actually turning a profit, it isn't enough to live on.

grubbie":25lsqki4 said:
If you have to buy or lease land, there will be no profit. You will lose money. I'd be suprised if anyone here disagrees with that statement. If there is someone who is doing so and actually turning a profit, it isn't enough to live on.
so in purchasing land and starting from scratch it is a given that the business will not be successful?

Latest posts