Cattle breed associations

Help Support CattleToday:

UG

Reaction score
Would someone please explain why there are two Murray Grey associations in North America. I assume that there were some differences of opinion and a group split off and started their own. It is hard enough financially for one association in a breed to survive, let alone have two.

Braunviehs had two different associations here in the US until six or seven years ago. Not sure what happened but eventually one of them closed shop. Not sure if the other association bought them out, if they merged, etc.

Many of the hog breed associations merged several years ago in order to save costs. I have to believe we will see more of that with the beef breeds in the next several years. Many breed associations are already doing registry work for other breeds.

Most of the breed splits I'm aware of are about purity. One group wants to keep a fullbood-only registry, another wants to include outside genetics.

There are actually 3 MG associations in North America; the Canadian Murray Grey Association (CMGA), the Amercian Murray Grey Association (AMGA), and Murray Grey International Association (MGIA).
CMGA has a charter that allows for registrations for animals born in Canada, the registrar is the Canadian Angus Association with the underlying registrations done thru ABRI.
AMGA has a charter that allows for registrations for animals born in the USA. I believe the registrar is a home office. Not sure where the registrations are done, but it is probably ABRI also.
MGIA is an organization based in the USA that can provide Registration papers for Murray Greys born anywhere in the world, this would include countries that do not have a Murray Grey Associations (Peru, Brazil etc). The organization is based on a low cost registration service only. Administration fees are kept to a minimum. Promotion is a volunteer endeavour and is paid for by those that wish to participate. The Registrar for MGIA is Canadian Livestock Records Corporation (CLRC) based in Ottawa, Canada. Full registration service and database are maintained by this organization.
MGIA was created when both the CMGA and AMGA moved to a forced Whole Herd Enrollment program.

Latest posts