Cattle Annie

Help Support CattleToday:

Good point. I often wish guru would be something earned by posting useful information. Smiley faces and general chit chat should be excluded. Perhaps a method where posts could be rated by the readers or voted on would serve the purpose. Voting could be limited in some way maybe we couldn't vote more than a few times a day, a little calculator in the corner saying you have X number of votes left today or something. Probably too much trouble to create but would be a neat feature.

:nod:

:|

Bama":d3lgg1xe said:
I already consider Cattle Annie a guru. Guru statis for me is something someone earns for the quality of their post not the quanity. A smiley face or some other short reply a thousand times can make someone a guru that hasn't said a thing. I've been around to know who are the gurus here. Not from my time on the board but from my time spent with cattle. Cattle Annie has already earned the title long before she hits 1000 post.

that is eerily like a post i typed earlier but didnt send. i tend to do that alot.
i remember when dun hit guru status. but i couldnt tell you who the second one was. after that it was just like "wow, another guru. toot a freakin horn." no offense meant to any gurus or non gurus or those aspiring to be gurus.

cherokeeruby":ijv1rey6 said:
Good point. I often wish guru would be something earned by posting useful information. Smiley faces and general chit chat should be excluded. :|
Yep, look at the Sex Fairy thing I posted, it has 140 post on it and by rights it should have maybe 3 or 4. Just a bunch of chit chat.

i agree, guru status should be based on those posts with substance. but how can you measure that? take out all the chit chat, opinionated responses, pictures, people calling each other stupid, and sarcastic remarks made for the sake of being sarcastic, etc ? in my mind a guru is someone who knows a great deal(and sits indian style at the top of a mountain with a long beard), not someone who talks a great deal. maybe the title "guru" itself should be changed. someone should start a poll. lol.

I first thought this guru thing was just a fun sort of thing. Then it seemed like some people took it serious-some posting all the time just to get their numbers up.
As far a reality, the most knowledgable man or woman in the world could make one post and not be a guru. In fact, if there is one, or several top people in the world, chances are slim that they would even have heard of this board. So what is it if not just a fun thing.

Didn't Annie post something about her getting her trucker's license? Maybe between the driving and calving season she doesn't have time to check out the Q&A boards.

By the way, she does have some great posts and really deserves the "Guru" title. I'm looking forward to #1000 from her.

;-)

How about this.....upon reaching post 1,000--posters may have the option to become "GURU" or "GURU STATUS DECLINED"

Let's not measure ourselves or others by this 4 letter word. It doesn't take a genious to read what you have to say and know whether you have much to say at all.

CattleAnnie, hope all is going well for you and yours and hope to hear from you soon.

Or how about "999 and holding"?

TLCfromARK":3gbim7x1 said:
Maybe between the driving and calving season she doesn't have time to check out the Q&A boards.

;-)
She's been done calving for weeks now.

Ryder":35967jjh said:
I first thought this guru thing was just a fun sort of thing. Then it seemed like some people took it serious-some posting all the time just to get their numbers up.
As far a reality, the most knowledgable man or woman in the world could make one post and not be a guru. In fact, if there is one, or several top people in the world, chances are slim that they would even have heard of this board. So what is it if not just a fun thing.

seems to me it has to be just a fun thing.... it gets people to talking i guess. in reality, who needs it? when we have cattle questions, we listen to those we feel are most knowlegable without regards to the number of posts they have.. 1000 post wont make me a "guru" LOL, cause that would make me a mislabeled dude...

i figure it keeps the boards going... people get caught up in the number of posts... i guess human nature is just that way... i have been on these boards when there was little to almost no activity... more boring that way..

jmo

jt

sidney411":1ubwo7mq said:
Has anyone heard from her? The weather shouldn't be too bad up there sould it? I sure hope she is ok!!!

The weather up here has been really nice for the past week or so. We usually get what CattleAnnie gets a few days earlier as it comes our way when its done up there. Cold front blew in last night and they are calling for snow tonight. I know that alot of producers are having trouble holding on in Alberta and Canada as a whole with all this BSE stuff. I hope she hasn't given up.

Hey all,
Sorry to cause any undue alarm about my absence from the boards. Been pretty busy with my new (to me) job in the oilpatch. Starting the day at three a.m. has made finding time to shoot the bull here a little tricky, but sure have been missing all the sharing of information and stories. Of course there's still chores to be done, calves to tag (and occasionally doctor) and a herd of children to gather and tend. Life's busy but grand!

Will admit that I hate the whole "GURU" label nonsense. I'm not trying to be falsely modest, just blatantly honest when I say that I've got only a drop of knowledge in the big bucket of cattle know-how, and gallons of learning to acquire. Just wish Macon could axe the "G" word and let 'er lie.

As to the cattle, reality has bitten me pretty darn hard where the sun don't shine. Honey and I are probably both going to have to completely disperse our herds this fall. Can't afford to feed them and pay loans on them and lose any more money. Might end up bankrupt at the end of the trail, but hey, there's alot worse things that can happen (family illness, death, etc) so basically have to go with the attitude that at least we did the best we could and realise that the cards were stacked against us in that particular endeavour.

Sometimes life's just like that, and when you realise that you and your partner are so down and out with the blues that it's hurting your family life, you just have to swallow your pride, dust yourself off and take a long hard look at your options. Which we all have, it's just that sometimes we don't want to have to quit flogging the dead horse.

Anyways, thanks for all the well wishing and nice comments. Good thing not to let 'em go to your head or you'd keep Resistol and Stetson hopping making you new hats everyday.

Take care and God bless you all. Remember that sometimes when you get bucked off enough by a particular bronc, that it's better to just pay your entries for another go round and hope you draw a better horse. There's no cowboy that makes 8 in every go round he rides, and in the big ol' arena of life there's plenty of cayuses to mark out of the gate, so grin, nod your head and let 'er buck! ;-)

CattleAnnie":1bm97lk4 said:
There's no cowboy that makes 8 in every go round he rides, and in the big ol' arena of life there's plenty of cayuses to mark out of the gate, so grin, nod your head and let 'er buck! ;-)

Now there is one tough cattleman. Well said, as usual Cattle Annie. You have all my respect.

Good to hear from ya. Always a pleasure to read your posts. :cboy:

Wow Annie, I sure hate to hear that. But congrats on the new job. If you do decide to throw it in, it sure wont be from a lack of trying. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon and keep up your great attitude, no doubt its helped you guys get through some trying times lately! Take care, and check in every chance you get, as I really love you're outlook on life!! :D

Honey and I are probably both going to have to completely disperse our herds this fall. Can't afford to feed them and pay loans on them and lose any more money. Might end up bankrupt at the end of the trail, but hey, there's alot worse things that can happen (family illness, death, etc) so basically have to go with the attitude that at least we did the best we could and realise that the cards were stacked against us in that particular endeavour.

Sometimes life's just like that, and when you realise that you and your partner are so down and out with the blues that it's hurting your family life, you just have to swallow your pride, dust yourself off and take a long hard look at your options. Which we all have, it's just that sometimes we don't want to have to quit flogging the dead horse.

I'm really sorry to hear that CattleAnnie. Its funny how 'the dream' of being a cattle producer has turned into a nightmare for so many up here. I sure hope things turn around right away before its too late for you. It didn't take 1000 posts for me to consider you to be a Guru. ;-) Good Luck.

i was waiting until you actually crossed the guru line to congratulate you, CA. i can't add much that hasn't already been said but i will agree that you were already a guru in my book. it doesn't take a certain number of posts to prove that!

about the new job & 3am........i guess taking the night shifts during calving season was just prep-work, eh? :D

Cattle Annie,
Welcome back and congrats. With or without cattle you'll always know more than most of us ever will.

Latest posts