Catching bull with large neck

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
So I've caught a few bulls in a headgate before never had a problem. I just have a Priefert 91 headgate with no squeeze and was vaccinating my cattle. I got an Angus bull and would squeeze down on him and the headgate wouldn't lock around his neck and he would back out of it. One time I had I had it on his neck and was pulling down the lever with by body to catch his jaw when he backed out and it still didn't work. I didn't have a rope hand so I didn't try that. I got all the cows fine. What's the trick for catching a bull with large neck? Just use nose tongs? Thanks in advance

With out the squeeze it's hard IMO. Same thing with an old scrawny cow with big horns. If they learn to keep plowing forward and not back up it's tough.

With those type I end up working them more squeezed than held by the head gate. They tend to not fight it when they get squeezed even if the head gate is not holding as good. Plus with the priefert they will wiggle around a little and set it better on them selves than me pulling.

I got away from using just a head gate because it caused more problems by itself then it helped.

Large mature bulls with pronounced masculinity e.g. thick necks can be difficult to catch for a number of reasons but especially if the head gate and/or chute dimensions & levers aren't designed to accommodate large cattle. Be patient, avoid upsetting him and DO NOT use nose tongs on him or any other cattle. IMO Guaranteed to make cattle resent having their head's handled.

Agree with Brute. Goes without saying calm & cooperative chute behavior is a reflection of savvy stockmanship. Anyone who has slammed a head catch shut prematurely knows how difficult it is to entice that animal to give it a 2nd go.

Not sure what you have set up for the sides of the chute, but sliding a bar through the sides behind them so they can't back up works well. Then you just tighten the head catch enough that they aren't swinging their heads around, but not so tight that they're uncomfortable.

Butt bars always help. The "magic spot" is right behind the bull's ears, just before that thick neck begins.
We used to catch mature bulls 2,000lbs + in a for-most A25 head gate at the sale barn when we semen checked.
Before we got a manual chute at home, all we had was automatics. All of our bulls have nose rings. So instead of changing the headgate when the bull's come through with the cows. I just keep a lead rope by the chute. If I need to eat tag or something with their head I just squeeze them, then snag their nose. For once in a while I can get away with it.

Bingo on the butt bar & squeeze! Took ours in this week for their BSE's and that's the only thing that worked on our Alpha bull - and he's not even 5.

Working them at home, instead of nose tongs I use a halter.

Side note, shameless bragging: one of my newest bulls is so docile I replaced his ear tag, gave him shots & shoved a magnet down his throat with just the squeeze. :D

instead of nose tongs I use a halter
YES! I'm always amazed when I have to resort to a halter and have them snubbed up short that when the halter is removed they're demeanor dramaticly changes e.g. totally relaxed, drop their heads and willingly allow me to touch their face and even scratch their nose. Who woulda thunk.

If you take a cow that hasn't seen a person on foot since last year when she got worked. I don't think they really care if you use nosers or a halter.
All breeding stock used to have to be Brucellosis tested at the sale barn if they were returning to the farm. During the early 2000's we got a lot of our of state drought cows in for bred cow special sales. We preg checked, aged, and blood tested all of them. Every one was snubbed with nose tongs. Usually around 1,000 per sale. Our record was 385hd in a day. Cows that don't know the routine or don't respect a halter. Just have to much power to fight with, but they will fallow their nose when you pull their head around.

SBMF 2015 said:
If you take a cow that hasn't seen a person on foot since last year when she got worked. I don't think they really care if you use nosers or a halter.
All breeding stock used to have to be Brucellosis tested at the sale barn if they were returning to the farm. During the early 2000's we got a lot of our of state drought cows in for bred cow special sales. We preg checked, aged, and blood tested all of them. Every one was snubbed with nose tongs. Usually around 1,000 per sale. Our record was 385hd in a day. Cows that don't know the routine or don't respect a halter. Just have to much power to fight with, but they will fallow their nose when you pull their head around.

Point taken. I'm around my cattle every day and I certainly don't have 1000 head out on the range.

TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Point taken. I'm around my cattle every day and I certainly don't have 1000 head out on the range.

Unfortunately when you add the time constraints of prepping and holding a public cattle auction things just don't work like they do when your at home working with your own cows.
The really good cows just take it in stride. The rest fight you every step of the way.

Latest posts