Cargill w/altosid

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all... just watched a program on RFD about Cargill Right Now mineral with altosid feed through for parasite (horn fly) control.... anyone using this? opinions? Thanks!

We don;t use that paticular brand but we've used the IGR feed throughs for severla years. That along with other things has really beat the fly problems.

I use the Right Now with the IGR. Also, I use fly tags, back rub, and once yearly(Spring)pour on. If the fly population starts building in late Summer, I'll use spray on. With all that, I have good control. It takes a combination of things.

My third year to use IGR mineral and "it works". Never used the Cargill brand but what I do use is good. Just make sure you have a mineral palatable enough to get the required daily consumption in order for the IGR to be effective. Helps if the neighbors will use it too.

Thanks everyone...I'm really sold on it... only wish I'd started it in the fall (according to the program you have to start in fall to keep flies from laying eggs in poop that winter over and emerge in spring). Its not too late though so I'm headed out to find it. I heard the Right Now is real palatable... at what rate do you mix it? I'm assuming it'll say on the bag. Thanks!

I use the Nutrena ( Cargill) mineral w/ the IGR & absolutely LOVE it! Along with the fly tags & a bit of pour on our cows have very few flies during the warn weather. I believe they say to put it out 6 weeks before the warm weather starts, but the 1st year I tried it was much later than that. It's never too late to start. I have used it for several years now.

Ordered the Cargill Right Now Emerald with fly control (already mixed) and will switch to Bronze when the pasture's start to dry up...I'm excited to see how it does... the program was sure good marketing. Have pour-on for a back up. Thanks for your comments...

Central Fl Cracker":1b4klvor said:
I have been using Cargill for 2 years and even though it is pricey at $ 22 per bag the cows love it and it works real good on the flies.

Cracker that's really a pretty good price for an IGR mineral. Next month it may go up another 2-3 bucks.

Hey cracker...I'm starting out on the Emerald (due to pastures just now greening up) and will then go to Bronze/Gold etc. Have you ever used Onyx? Trying to figure out its use... is it all purpose? More expensive? Says for "High Value cattle"...

Wisteria Farms":2fwrjzgd said:
Hey cracker...I'm starting out on the Emerald (due to pastures just now greening up) and will then go to Bronze/Gold etc. Have you ever used Onyx? Trying to figure out its use... is it all purpose? More expensive? Says for "High Value cattle"...

lol, 2 months ago I guess i could have used the Onyx but not today. :lol2:

TexasBred":1n35gsxw said:
Wisteria Farms":1n35gsxw said:

lol, 2 months ago I guess i could have used the Onyx but not today. :lol2:
Texas, I think they're talking show cattle. I'm wondering if Onyx is any better than the others that are geared towards the different stages of forage growth or if its meant for cattle on show feed...?

Emerald - Green Grass
Bronze - Winter grass and late summer
Gold - Wheat, Oat, Rye etc. pastures
Onyx - Show cattle or can be used for an all season mineral - higher priced than the others though.

Onyx contains metal amino acid complexed (chelated) copper, zinc, manganese, and cobalt, which makes these these important trace minerals much more available.

rk":i7f2xhb3 said:
Onyx contains metal amino acid complexed (chelated) copper, zinc, manganese, and cobalt, which makes these these important trace minerals much more available.

Enough of the complexes to really be beneficial? Cargill is notorious for putting "window dressing" on their tags. (just curious)

Yes, enough of the complexes to be beneficial. I've talked to those using it (that really keep close tabs on performance....fertility, health, etc) and these guys will swear by it.

BTW...just how full of BS are you? (Just curious). I'd put the integrity of Cargill's formulations up against anyone elses.

rk":17vbetog said:
Yes, enough of the complexes to be beneficial. I've talked to those using it (that really keep close tabs on performance....fertility, health, etc) and these guys will swear by it.

BTW...just how full of BS are you? (Just curious). I'd put the integrity of Cargill's formulations up against anyone elses.

Oh me...have rooted out a Cargill rep. Well I know Cargill invented the least cost formulation and have a good friend that sells primarily dairy feed for them and often calls in and asks "whats in our feed this week"??

You usually make pretty good posts. I don't know why you feel its appropriate to throw out baseless comments regarding someone else's formulation, when you probably don't have any idea what it really is.

Latest posts