Holstein calf w/runny nose

Help Support CattleToday:

gundog10

Reaction score
I just bought my first two calves. One is Holstein and the other is Holstein/beef cross. The Holstein has clear mucus on his nose and sometimes running out of his mouth. He appears healthy otherwise. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks dun, that helped. The calf is on good grass with plenty of water and 6 cups of sweet feed a day.

Normally if it's a newborn or under a week they will have a runny nose and a slight , it's the mucus, from their lungs from where they were born. If it persists, I would give it a a shot of Duraxxin or Baytril 100

Thanks Cnfletcher, it has cleared up. The calves are 4-5 months old. Got some help on another forum as no one here cared enough to lend a hand.

gundog10":3oixeyz0 said:
Thanks Cnfletcher, it has cleared up. The calves are 4-5 months old. Got some help on another forum as no one here cared enough to lend a hand.
If you are going to have livestock, when there is a problem health wise, take it to the vet and dont go to forums for vet advice...Although there are people who are helpful, you will be getting vet advice from some anonymous poster with who knows what experience...My best advice is, take your animal to a vet or consult your vet.

gundog10":56wvu3oa said:
I do not believe it was a case of "no one cared". Your first post did not give enough information to comment on. Such as.........
Age of calf.
Color and consistency of mucus.
Temp.
Vaccinations received, if any.
Demeanor of the calve.
Ect, ext, ext.
My cattle often have clear mucus at certain times of the year due to allergies of some sort. Also some will do that when they are ruminating. That is why Dun said, "benign neglect." Without any other symptoms to go by, all you can do is watch for any change that points to an infection.

FWIW people here ARE VERY HELPFUL, and supporting of others. But you have to give them something more to go by. Assess your cattle. And as cowgirl8 said, develope a relationship with your vet. :)

First, I would have given more information if I was asked. The great advise I was given was to do nothing and just keep an eye on him and if it doesn't clear up in a few days to have a vet come out and take a look. The reason I asked on this forum was to learn. There is not much stupid in me (or so I believe) and if someone would have asked, I have had (at the time) these two calves for two days and they are four months old. I have them on grass with a little hay and grain. They are lively their eyes are clear and bright and are eating like little pigs. There are alot of large diary farms around and so far I have not been able to even get an appointment set up for an on sight visit as they are all really busy right now. I will get a vet lined up and should have in advance of getting the calves but never realized it would be as difficult as it has been. Thank you all

M-5":1kt5v7gs said:
Benign neglect = do nothing
Looks like duns advice was spot on
Doing nothing is only part of it. The benign part is keeping an eye out for changes.

M-5":28yikv2a said:
dun":28yikv2a said:
M-5":28yikv2a said:
Benign neglect = do nothing
Looks like duns advice was spot on
Doing nothing is only part of it. The benign part is keeping an eye out for changes.
That's supposed to be obvious Dun, but I should know by now sime times obvious needs to hit them between the eyes
I had always thought the whole concept was pretty obvious. But what do I know?

skyhightree1: I was asked so I answered, did you find that my response was asking anything? M-5: My point exactly, things that may seem obvious to some and not to others was the intent of these forums or so I assumed ( I guess I was wrong) . All I was looking for was a little advise and perhaps a few recommendation to consider. I'll not bother you-all again.

gundog10":34gaqq5d said:
skyhightree1: I was asked so I answered, did you find that my response was asking anything? M-5: My point exactly, things that may seem obvious to some and not to others was the intent of these forums or so I assumed ( I guess I was wrong) . All I was looking for was a little advise and perhaps a few recommendation to consider. I'll not bother you-all again.
Gundog , I meant no disrespect but if you read a little on here you'll see that it's pretty cut and dry on most things cattle related these are all big boys and girls that will give the help you need but most don't suger coat it.

M-5, I really wasn't offended by the comments and even if it wasn't intended I learned from some of the responses. I have been a member of this forum for several months and have read and learned alot from the posts. Being as such, I felt that this was the forum to ask for some insight on my issue and was a little put back with only a snard comment instead of something ie; hay bumbutt get a vet over there asap or man you are overacting just keep an eye on him and call the vet if it doesn't clear up. Thanks for the reply

gundog10":2hbe23tn said:
M-5, I really wasn't offended by the comments and even if it wasn't intended I learned from some of the responses. I have been a member of this forum for several months and have read and learned alot from the posts. Being as such, I felt that this was the forum to ask for some insight on my issue and was a little put back with only a snard comment instead of something ie; hay bumbutt get a vet over there asap or man you are overacting just keep an eye on him and call the vet if it doesn't clear up. Thanks for the reply
You may have taken my reply wr4ong, but in most cases something as simple as the snots will clear up withou intervention. If he was acting lethargic the suggestion would have been different. With the symptoms as stated, if you would have called/talked to a vet, he/she would have basicly told you the same, just would have used different words. Or maybe suggested antibiotics which I'm not a fan of unless their is actually something to treat. Some vets (and a lot of non-vets) give antibiotics jsut to make you feel like you're doing something. Even though they wouldn;t have accomplished anything other then costing money and giving you a warm fuzzy feeling. It's like parents tyhat want there kids to have antibiotics for everything that helps. I prefer using antibiotics as sparingly as possible so that when they are needed they have a better chance of taking care of the problem. When antibiotics are called for, I believe it hitting it as hard as possiblee and following up with more if needed. Other then minor cases I don;t think that the feedstore bought drugs are worth much. If it needs treating get the good stuff from the vet. I hear complaints about the stuff from the vet is too expensive. If it's actaully penciled out, frequently the espensive stuff is chepaer in the long run (less re-treating) and it's far less stressfull for the animal. Stressing something beyond what is absolutley necessarry I feel is in many cases more detrimental then what is being treated.
Just an old mans ways and thoughts.

Dun, yeh it stung a little as these are my first steers and just was wanting a little help. I worked on several ranches when young but was never involved with their care other then feeding. When my DW and I retired our dream was a small place to raise a few head of cattle and a large garden. We are there, and we will raise our beef and grow our own veggies and while I will never know as much as many of you, I will learn the things I need to know in order to take care of the animals. Hopefully with a little help or swift kick in the butt from people like you. Thank you for your reply

Latest posts