Calf with Red spots on Nose & mouth

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 10 day old Beef heifer calf, Twin to the one who got attacked by the horned cow. She has been sucking on a Cedar slab from the sawmill that is part of her pen. She now has red sores that are tiny all over her mouth and nose, could it be from sucking on the cedar? She acts fine otherwise, temp is normal and she is eating and playing like normal
Two vet's are trying to figure it out right now, thought I'd ask you allKIMG5900.JPGKIMG5900.JPGKIMG5902.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG5901.JPG
    KIMG5901.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Hi all, I have a 10 day old Beef heifer calf, Twin to the one who got attacked by the horned cow. She has been sucking on a Cedar slab from the sawmill that is part of her pen. She now has red sores that are tiny all over her mouth and nose, could it be from sucking on the cedar? She acts fine otherwise, temp is normal and she is eating and playing like normal
Two vet's are trying to figure it out right now, thought I'd ask you allView attachment 28510View attachment 28510View attachment 28511
Is she sucking on the cedar or trying to eat it?

Can't tell much from the pic. But if they're consistently chewing or sucking on something other than mama at that age, they're lacking something. Vitamin deficiency? Needs selenium? Something going on inside her mouth? Curious what your vets say.

Picture quality isn't very good. I've seen em with those type spots/sores before and never had a problem.
Oh I know, it's hard to photograph a calf that's bobbing it's head around.lol hopefully it isn't anything...

Last edited:
Can't tell much from the pic. But if they're consistently chewing or sucking on something other than mama at that age, they're lacking something. Vitamin deficiency? Needs selenium? Something going on inside her mouth? Curious what your vets say.
Well she is a bottle calf, since mom rejected her. She's had a BO-SE shot, vet said they think it's from her sucking on the cedar. I will have to put mineral in her pen. Thank you for the advice! The other vet hadn't gotten back to me yet. Said they were going to look into it.

Well she is a bottle calf, since mom rejected her. She's had a BO-SE shot, vet said they think it's from her sucking on the cedar. I will have to put mineral in her pen. Thank you for the advice! The other vet hadn't gotten back to me yet. Said they were going to look into it.
If she's all about the (now covered) cedar, you might want to consider a mineral block instead of loose mineral.

And unconventional but thinking outside the box, I gave my last bottle calf (years ago) heavy duty Kong and Jolly Ball toys to chew & play with. Just make sure they're big enough they can't bite off a piece & swallow.

Latest posts