Cargill w/altosid

Help Support CattleToday:

rk":1xawgz4y said:
You usually make pretty good posts. I don't know why you feel its appropriate to throw out baseless comments regarding someone else's formulation, when you probably don't have any idea what it really is.

RK sorry if I offended you as it was not intended. I guess it's just a personal problem for me. I've never been able to get the folks at Cargill to be very flexible with custom rations, minerals, etc. for clients so have always had to go elsewhere. But it's the same with Purina. I know you folks take orders from higher up and are limited in what they can and can't do on the local level no matter what you would like to do personally, so have learned to work with it. Not really knocking the rations at all. Just stating what I know is fact.

By the way, the mineral is a good mineral. ;-)

baxter78":1jmb8vz4 said:
I have not found these minerals very effective. For me fly tags, pyrethroid sprays, and cylence pour on seem to work real well.

Baxter I've used several including the Cargill brand and they work. Nothing is going to be 100% effective but the IGR mineral I feel gives you the most bang for your money. It helps to start putting it out early down here....January....also helps if the neighbors will cooperate and use it with their cattle.

Since I don't stay with one brand consistently..... Nutrena feedstore is within rock throwing distance from the house and they have "right now" minerals.......... I only buy the Onyx and just bought 5 bags last week... will pull the label today or tomorrow and post it so you can see what it has in it and compare the difference.

The other two I use is ADM alliance and Vigortone. So it really depends on which direction I'm going as to what mineral I get.

I've been using "Right Now" for a number of years and been very pleased with it. This winter I had another mineral company want to custom blend me a mineral, and feed it alongside of the "right now". There was no comparison my cows had to be forced to eat the other mineral. I haven't used any with altosid but would sure like to try it. Someone told me that cargill was making it in a block? has anyone heard of that? That would be very nice on a F.S. allotment. That way your neighbors wouldn't even know that your feeding the IGR. Most of my neighbors want to feed a couple of sacks of mineral during calving. Then they think that they are on a mineral program.

jasrnch":15vlwj2c said:
I've been using "Right Now" for a number of years and been very pleased with it. This winter I had another mineral company want to custom blend me a mineral, and feed it alongside of the "right now". There was no comparison my cows had to be forced to eat the other mineral. I haven't used any with altosid but would sure like to try it. Someone told me that cargill was making it in a block? has anyone heard of that? That would be very nice on a F.S. allotment. That way your neighbors wouldn't even know that your feeding the IGR. Most of my neighbors want to feed a couple of sacks of mineral during calving. Then they think that they are on a mineral program.

I've seen some IGR pressed blocks as well as the molasses tubs at some stores. Brand name escapes me right now but they are available.

rk":35dlqbnm said:
Onyx contains metal amino acid complexed (chelated) copper, zinc, manganese, and cobalt, which makes these these important trace minerals much more available.

Wouldn't know it from the cargill website. This is what the site lists:

Right Now® Onyx: High Herd Performance

Any number of situations can prove challenging or stressful to your animals. The trace minerals in Right Now® Onyx are readily absorbed into the bloodstream and help fortify animals with special supplementation needs. A complex blend of organic zinc, manganese and copper, Right Now® Onyx can be added to the feed mix at any time of year or offered free-choice. The formula provides a necessary nutritional supplement to:

Stressed calves
Cows in AI and embryo transfer programs
Developing replacements and first-calf heifers
High-value cattle
Animals suffering mineral deficiencies resulting from antagonism

If indeed there is chelated trace minerals in the bag, such as one gets with Albion, then they should state this clearly. They do not, so this is really open to interpretation, at least by me.

We use a mineral that has the Albion chelated trace minerals in it and then we add the Altosid ourselves. I know each item in the mix, because it clearly states it on the label.

RK, Can you direct me to the website where the actual list of ingredients are listed for onyx? Whose chelated trace mineral is used? :tiphat:

Thanks.

BIlly

MrBilly":1wbdyuva said:
rk":1wbdyuva said:
Onyx contains metal amino acid complexed (chelated) copper, zinc, manganese, and cobalt, which makes these these important trace minerals much more available.

Wouldn't know it from the cargill website. This is what the site lists:

Right Now® Onyx: High Herd Performance

Any number of situations can prove challenging or stressful to your animals. The trace minerals in Right Now® Onyx are readily absorbed into the bloodstream and help fortify animals with special supplementation needs. A complex blend of organic zinc, manganese and copper, Right Now® Onyx can be added to the feed mix at any time of year or offered free-choice. The formula provides a necessary nutritional supplement to:

Stressed calves
Cows in AI and embryo transfer programs
Developing replacements and first-calf heifers
High-value cattle
Animals suffering mineral deficiencies resulting from antagonism

If indeed there is chelated trace minerals in the bag, such as one gets with Albion, then they should state this clearly. They do not, so this is really open to interpretation, at least by me.

We use a mineral that has the Albion chelated trace minerals in it and then we add the Altosid ourselves. I know each item in the mix, because it clearly states it on the label.

RK, Can you direct me to the website where the actual list of ingredients are listed for onyx? Whose chelated trace mineral is used? :tiphat:

Thanks.

BIlly
I don't believe you'll find actual ingredients on a website, because they will vary by region. The chelated traces will be listed in the ingredient listing as "complexed" and are manufactured by Zinpro.

Mr. Billy, as RK said the minerals may vary from region to region especially for a nationwide company , thus hard to list on a website, however, the tag on the bag should disclose these ingredients. Zinpro Corporation makes great ingredients and will be disclosed as "amino acid complexes". Albion as well makes great ingredients, however, their product is usually disclosed as an "amino acid chelate". Have used both and basically it's just a matter of preference. Neither is cheap but well worth the additional cost.

Okay I have the label in front of me.... Onyx Fly Medicated

Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Sulphate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediomine Dihydrcdide (that may not be spelled right, the print is faint and with it being medicated the red stripe is down the middle and the print is very, very faint), Sodium Selenite, mangarous oxide, iron oxide, zinc oxide, vitamin a supplement, vitamin d supplement, vitamin e supplement, zinc methionine complex, copper lysine complex, manganese methionine complex, cobalt glucohepronate, selenium yeast, processed grain byproducts, molasses products, animal fat, vegetable oil, mineral oil.

CTC 1.4 gms per lb
s-Methoprane 104.9 grams/ton

Calcium min 13 % max 15%
Phosphorous min 8.0%
Salt min 14% max 16%
magnesium min 2.0%
Potassium min 1.0%
Cobalt min 20 PPM
Iodine min 200 PPM
Manganese min 4000 PPM
Selenium min 26 PPM
Zinc min 5000 PPM
Vitamin A min 100,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D min 10,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E min 100 IU/LB

I think the website is http://www.cargillanimalnutrition.com

I am currently feeding cargil right now Emerald. I would like to start using the IGR as well. I have checked almost everywhere and nobody seems to carry this around central Iowa. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

That's a well fortified mineral with ample amounts of vitamins as well. Has some oxides in it which are pretty worthless but also has the organics (zinc methionine complex, copper lysine complex, manganese methionine complex, cobalt glucohepronate, selenium yeast) which are excellent. They're using Zinpro 4-Plex in the mineral which is a great ingredient. Don't see the necessity for the CTC but it won't hurt anything other than adding a little cost to the the product.

Beefcake...if your feedstore has the emerald I'm sure he would order the IGR for you if you asked him. He should be promoting it anyway this time of the year.

Beefcake35":4j7k9kyn said:
I am currently feeding cargil right now Emerald. I would like to start using the IGR as well. I have checked almost everywhere and nobody seems to carry this around central Iowa. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
I just have the local distributor order it for me. He calls it in on Tuesday and it's delivered on Thursday. He'll order 50 lbs or a ton.

Beefcake35":2thhc47d said:

Thanks!
Beefcake...if you're able to get the Cargill Emerald, then you're able to get the IGR.... All you need to do is ask for Cargill Emerald WITH FLY CONTROL. Its the same product with the fly control added.

I remember reading this post a while back and just now feel confident to add a comment. I have used Cargill Right Now minerals since they came out on about half of my cows the other half have been on a different popular mineral mix sold in Missouri ( two separate run herds at different locations about 3 miles apart). I'm convinced that the Right Now minerals are a very good product and well worth the investment. conception rates are a little better and have had less health issues and less pink eye cases with the herd on the right now mineral program. Last year I bought a pot load of cows from a herd that had not seen Missouri fescue before, the cows were mixed into each herd and the cows that got the right now minerals seemed to respond much better to the transition to fescue than the others. the cows that did not get the right now minerals had much more weight loss, less thrifty calves that fall and didnt rebreed quite as well. I know that there could be some small differences in fescue on each place that you could build a case for sake of an argument but I have now switched both herds to Right Now minerals. If you question your current mineral program I would not hesitate to give the Right Now program a try for a year and see.

Just started mine on Emerald with Altosid about 10 days ago. They sure seem to like it. I wish we could get it for $22. It cost me $26.95 here.

Freight is a bear where we live.

I was told that it not only imterrupts the life cycle of the flies but that it gives them a systemic protection.

I may have to buy better cows to use the high end product.

TexasBred":3u966l6x said:
That's a well fortified mineral with ample amounts of vitamins as well. Has some oxides in it which are pretty worthless but also has the organics (zinc methionine complex, copper lysine complex, manganese methionine complex, cobalt glucohepronate, selenium yeast) which are excellent. They're using Zinpro 4-Plex in the mineral which is a great ingredient. Don't see the necessity for the CTC but it won't hurt anything other than adding a little cost to the the product.

Beefcake...if your feedstore has the emerald I'm sure he would order the IGR for you if you asked him. He should be promoting it anyway this time of the year.
TB
we run CTC in our minerals to help fight the fescue toxicity and it does help

Latest posts