Update w/ pics: Banding older bull!

Help Support CattleToday:

Is he urinating okay? It's always easy to make suggestions after the fact, but I would have cut him also.

Alan":o6cz9stz said:
Is he urinating okay? It's always easy to make suggestions after the fact, but I would have cut him also.

Thanks for your input. Yes, he seems to be urinating OK. I agree, now I wish I would have cut him. B&G

I've done a handful in the 500-600 lb range. Not a large "sample", but I've not seen swelling like that with any of them. I always give 2 rounds of tetnus toxoid beforehand, but I don't think that's related to what you're seeing. No matter what method, I think there's always a small risk. Some people will only cut and some will only band. I think both groups probably have good reasons for their choice.

I have two friends who band big bulls (600-800 pounds) and waits about 3-4 days after banding and then cut off everything about an inch below the band. Seems to work for them.

I band all mine. Cant see much from pic but it looks normal. I always give tetanus. I've never cut but cant imagine why I would given the ease of experience I've had banding.

Dave":3lohfz4m said:
I have two friends who band big bulls (600-800 pounds) and waits about 3-4 days after banding and then cut off everything about an inch below the band. Seems to work for them.
I kind of like that strategy. I hate to see one struggle like that
I'd rather be cut than suffer for a day of so...

Kingfisher":2mlw5bhc said:
Dave":2mlw5bhc said:

I think that's a common theme among traders. An old trader told me if you band them, wait 5 days and cut everything off below the band, and then cover it with pine tar, you can slip them on a set of big steers about half steers and half late cut Bulls and get them sold. I've never done it myself.

When we banded big bulls the biggest problem we had was tetanus, I think your supposed to give them something for that a couple days before you band them. As long as the swelling doesn't get any worse you should be fine. If he starts having trouble getting around or knuckling on his back feet you're gonna want to get ahold of a vet.

I will echo the Tetanus comments. "Best to give 2 rounds prior." I would be tempted to hitting him with some ASAP. Don't know if he would benefit from it much, but if the skin is not broken yet, he might by the time it does.
If it is just swelling and no trouble peeing, you are probably ok. The swelling is pretty normal.

I thought I read in the other thread that the swelling was in the sheath/navel area? I guess without a before pic we can't say for sure, but I thought it looked swollen in that area compared to what I'm used to seeing. Perhaps I didn't take breed into consideration.

Kingfisher":1ih2uxng said:
Dave":1ih2uxng said:

Not sure what this means. If they are banded properly there's not any suffering - except maybe the stink of a dead sack hanging off them. The ones I band don't skip a beat, get off feed, or anything.

M.Magis":63dhb8kw said:
I thought I read in the other thread that the swelling was in the sheath/navel area? I guess without a before pic we can't say for sure, but I thought it looked swollen in that area compared to what I'm used to seeing. Perhaps I didn't take breed into consideration.

I agree. Looking at the nut sack I don't really see anything abnormal. The penis on the other hand looks swollen compared to what I'm used to seeing.

Latest posts