Cannot Locate Post on A.I. Schools

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
There was a good post on the A.I. schools several months ago. I cannot find it after going over it. I remember some of you discussing the fact that we need to go right before breeding season starts to keep it fresh when breeding season starts. This year, one of the local dairy men will come out and help us with the three we will A.I. But next year, I want to be able to do it myself. I need to start making plans in the spring to take vacation to be able to attend one. Several of you gave references to some of the schools that you were familiar with. I would like to attend one in the southeast, close to Tennessee. Cottage Farms is right down the road, but they don't hold a school. Any suggestions?

Check with the semen companies that are in your area, Select Sires etc. They sometimes have schools close to where you live. The jr. college a little ways from here used to have them that the public, not just their regular students could go to. Don't think they are doing it right now though. I went to Graham in Garnett, Kansas years ago. It was good and covered more than just passing a straw. Also, once you have gone there, you are a member for life. You can go back for a refresher anytime, even 20 years later for free. All you pay is for your motel and meals.

I went to Grahams also
one of the best investments i've made
knock on wood i'm getting about 80% bred 1st time around

Chuck and dj, that sounds like a real good deal. I wish I lived close enought to Grahm that I could attend it. Being able to go back and get a refresher course would be really good. That sounds like a nice place. I will check with a college close to here. I have not heard of any programs they offer. I will check with the semen suppliers too. Thanks!

I didn't know there was a thread on AI schools but Dun recommended Graham School to me and I've had to wait until hay/combine season is over but I'm enrolled to go July 11-15 .

The extension center here in this area is having one in September, a weekend 2 day course (or maybe its in Nov., don't remember now, but when I emailed them they said they would probably be changing the date).

I am looking forward to going and they have a class every month about middle of the month. Its $795 for the course and they have a husband/wife plan which allows a married couple to attend for $1395.00
(hope that info helps you out).

My husband and I too went to Graham - I searched this spring for a refresher class - found our ABS rep had one Easter weekend. Just AI and 2 days of hands on. Graham was great for the anatomy and the basics of preg checking and AI - I needed to actually get my hands on the tank, straws, guns, sheaths, etc. to feel comfortable doing it. Bred 2 heifers a couple weeks after getting home - one settled, the other was cystic. So guess I'm 50% so far - will have our older cows to do here pretty soon. I agree - contact ABS, Select Sires and any other semen services around you - also companies that service tanks might know of something for you. Good Luck!!

dun, when I see the greyhound bus pass me at night, I always think of the people inside of it as worms! :D I will go outside of Tennessee if I have to, but right now, I am tying to keep it as close as I can. But if I have to travel a state or two, then so be it. And the cost sorta has a bit to do with it. But, most of all, I want to go to one that everyone was pleased with what they learned.

Chuckie I don't know if they have a website- never looked. When I get home later I will get the phone number for you. I also see an ad from them in the back of Western Horseman.

Thanks klasqh and Chuck! I just walked back in the house a few minutes ago. Tomorrow I will look up the school and try to figure out if it is close enough for me to think about going. Listening to everyone else, it sounds like it would be worth my time and money.

Graham School is 560 miles from here. It is not that far. Heck, I drive 400 miles a night, so it should be easy. Looks like a good school. I am going to see about attending it if the local college doesn't hold a class.

Latest posts