Can you ID this breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

I adopted them, so they didn't come from a stockyard or auction. They were all together on a farm, and needed to be relocated.

I am in Southern Ontario between London and Windsor...you??

dun":2csh6q22 said:
The neighbor has 2 herds one she uses a Charolais on the other an Angus. The heifers from one herd goes to the other. She's been doing this and swapping out bulls after 6-8 years or so for 30 plus years. Sure looks funny to see a solid white calf nursing a solid black cow that was bred to an Angus. They may actaully be grey, but they look white.

black cows + angus bull = gray calf?

I was up north, outside of St. louis a while back,Old farmer feeding his cows , had to stop and ask him what they were.. They looked like your cows..He said they were Simms, looked like blonde holsteins, said they were full blooded.....This I see CharXBlack Angus= light greycow....F1light greycowXBl. Angus=Blonde cow3/4 angusX Bl. Angus=7/8 light grey bullcalf...Wish he had been a girl just to see its calfs...

Hmmm so they really could be Purebred Sim like he said!?
Weird.
The one with less spots looks like she is getting ready to calve so I'll let you know what she produces!

I am in Southern Ontario between London and Windsor...you??

I am in the Lindsay area. Nice to meet a fellow person from Ontario.

The CCIA # could possibly give some information if it was recorded in the database.

Kevin

Well hello over there in Lindsay!
Unfortunately these cows have never been tagged and registered...but will be when I get my head gate installed. The electrical wiring should be done tomorrow, and construction on the chute/gate will be next.

I wish I had the lights working tonight though. I'm waiting on this cow to calve. She has been showing signs for days. Since 8AM she has been posturing, raised tail and wet in the back. I've been going out every hour....but nothing yet. I'd go to bed but it's pouring rain and of course she's standing outside. I just know if I go to bed she'll drop it in a puddle and I'll be kicking myself. I've worn out all the flashlights and I'm down to a Dora the Explorer lantern and a baseball hat with LED's built in LOL! I'll have to bring the truck around if I get into any trouble out there. Of course the mud is unbelievable right now, three days or rain and record warm temps. I'm trying to talk hubby into a covered walkway over to the barn....in my dreams! In the mean time I'll continue walking out to the barn bent over holding onto my boots to avoid leaving one stuck in the mud till spring (I'm glad its dark).

You hit the nail on the head...big barn no doors. We still have lots to do construction wise, although they are still better sheltered here than they were. I'd like to have birthing pens before barn doors! There is tons of room in the barn but the moms get a bit pushy and like their space.

She actually held onto the calf for another day, a loooooong birth and I was starting to get worried. She finally gave up a white bull calf with black skin and nose. Presentation was fine, she was just slow in delivery. She had it in the barn thankfully. I've got pictures of the birth if anyone is interested.

Findleyfarms":2zn6azae said:
You hit the nail on the head...big barn no doors. We still have lots to do construction wise, although they are still better sheltered here than they were. I'd like to have birthing pens before barn doors! There is tons of room in the barn but the moms get a bit pushy and like their space.

She actually held onto the calf for another day, a loooooong birth and I was starting to get worried. She finally gave up a white bull calf with black skin and nose. Presentation was fine, she was just slow in delivery. She had it in the barn thankfully. I've got pictures of the birth if anyone is interested.
I understand about the barn situation! Been there - done that! Prioritizing "necessities" requires difficult choices! Sometimes they are inconvenient and inexpedient!

DOC HARRIS

Doc H. are you saying cattle needs barn to get out of the rain?

You are putting words in my mouth. I did not say "cattle' need a barn to get out of the rain, but if a "Producer of a Rancher's INCOME" (a momma cow getting ready to drop a bit of potential profit) is standing in mud and crap and water, I would certainly take at least minimum precautions to assure that she at least gave the little sucker an even chance. Proper cattle management is NOT a punitive set of actions just to prove how tough one's cattle herd is! Common ordinary cow sense dictates that with a barn nearby, at least give the potential PROFIT an even shot at success! Cattle can withstand an incredible amount of cold if they can remain reasonably dry and out of the wind. Dropping a newborn calf in a puddle of water is lacking management protocols.

It seems pretty ridiculous to me to feed, vacinate, plan matings and breed a cow, provide optimal feed and care prior to calving, and then ignore "The Moment of Truth" - and let the possible and/or potential future of your Herd drop in a puddle of mud, water, urine and feces, and drown - just to prove that tough beef cattle don't need pampering!

DOC HARRIS

Good post, Doc. Always wonder about some posts on here. When calving in feces, urine, mud, or whatever, just because "my cows are tuff" makes absolutly no sense to me when a shelter is just feet a way. When calfs introduction into this environment is a mouth full of s--- and gets the scours right off the bat, there just went the profit off that calf. Now I know sometimes under the best of management they will still get the scours,(had it happen) but I'll do what ever I have to to give the cow her best chance of raising a healthy calf, even if I have to run her to the nearest Motel Six. (they even leave the light on for me.) And just because she calved in a barn does'nt mean she grows wheels later. When the object in breeding a cow to raise a calf, to sell, and hopefully making a profit, to heck with what other people post on how they calve, do what you have to to get a live and healthy calf. Okay I'm done.

if i had to guess i would say that they are charbray/angus with a little holstein i breed that same breed i find that the little bit of holstein gives the momma good milk production the angus and charlais give the good meet and muscle and the brahman adds the exrta skin for resiliance and good protection for the babys when born cause we get alot of wild dogs around here. the heifer in the pic is that breed in the pictures she was just 10 months she is now 24 months and 5 months bred to bon veiw new design 878 for a may 2008 calf . she is and off white with clean white blaze white legs and white spots on her body you can see them better when she is clipped up more but pics show pretty good and all my heifers born this breed come out with SIX (6) fully working teats

cattlepictures159.jpg

cattlepictures153.jpg

P1010041.jpg

Doc I did not put words in your mouth, I ask a question, period...Wanted to hear your answer...I will also add no need for me to put words in your mouth, there are already plenty of them there...

alftn":3qhuj8l1 said:
Doc I did not put words in your mouth, I ask a question, period...Wanted to hear your answer...I will also add no need for me to put words in your mouth, there are already plenty of them there...
alftn-

:lol2: Good response! I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction! Just as an afterthought to that post - I do NOT propose coddling beef cattle beyond logic and reason - just what would be considered sensible and rational for the current circumstances.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts