Can you ID this breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":1m8wqkkk said:
those cows are gray!

Exactly, which is why they can't be traditional Simmental x Char as some have said. Traditional Simmentals are red and white. If crossed with a Char the calves would be yellow or tan, not grey. There may be some Sim in them, but there has to be black in there from somewhere, probably Angus or Holstein.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/simmental/

I think they might just Simmy X Angus,maybe some Char. back there somewhere. The old Simmy bred to black would produce smokey colored cattle like the ones in the picture.

htrc":i5g9btmp said:
I think they might just Simmy X Angus,maybe some Char. back there somewhere. The old Simmy bred to black would produce smokey colored cattle like the ones in the picture.

You're right. I'd forgotten that the old Simmentals carried the diluter gene.

Findleyfarms":1dphqxpi said:
I'm trying to guess the heritage of my new herd, and I have three that look like this (hopefully the pic will come up!)-
showphoto.php

What is your best guess as to what they are???
I would suggest that they are not an F1 cross. Possibly a cross (who knows the exact combination of matings?) of Charolais, Holstein and, perhaps Braunvieh - or - Braunvieh, Jersey, Holstein.)

Anybody's guess!

DOC HARRIS

KMacGinley":1ma0b4nh said:
My cousin used to get Char x Holstein heifer calves from a dairyman.
My cousin raised them up to be cows, they looked exactly like those two, some solid gray and some spotted.

I have bought some Char x Holstein also that looked like these.

Growthy but a lot of bone.

They appear to have black skin so I'd go along with CharxAngus or CharxHolstein.

Maybe I should start a new breed registry, I'm thinking "Charstein" or registered "Salebarn Mix".

If anyone is able to start the registry before I do I claim a lowly 1% of the registry fees for my cut of the action. ;-)

J+

CHarolais holstein
No muscle ugly udder long legs.
This puts great pressure to use the right bull!

That last post was hilarious! Yes my new bull will have some climbing to do! Strange but everyone who sees these cows seems to have a strong reation to them...either love or hate!

I'll get up close and see if there is black skin under that hair, maybe that will help with the ID. I was told they were purebred Simmental by the previous owner and I knew that wasn't right. They are great mothers though. I'm glad there are so many responses to help me try to figure this one out!

Findleyfarms":2w1l6s9r said:
That last post was hilarious! Yes my new bull will have some climbing to do! Strange but everyone who sees these cows seems to have a strong reation to them...either love or hate!

I'll get up close and see if there is black skin under that hair, maybe that will help with the ID. I was told they were purebred Simmental by the previous owner and I knew that wasn't right. They are great mothers though. I'm glad there are so many responses to help me try to figure this one out!
i would locate me a moderate frame fleck bull and use on them

Ok...I'm stumped, a moderate frame fleck????
Most of my cows are black angus (sorta), a few reds, a couple maine anjou, so I thought I'd go with a black angus bull. Black steers get a better price so I thought I'd try to stay as black as possible. Of course the black bull on these mutt cows produced a white calf...one can never tell!

Findleyfarms":q4m986iv said:

Ok...I'm stumped, a moderate frame fleck????
Most of my cows are black angus (sorta), a few reds, a couple maine anjou, so I thought I'd go with a black angus bull. Black steers get a better price so I thought I'd try to stay as black as possible.
  • Of course the black bull on these mutt cows produced a white calf...one can never tell
!
won't be no white..greys maybe and ratails. fleckvieh simmental would be good to put some flesh on their babies and good replacements out of those rangy momas .but if your going to use a black bull ??

Honest I swear...the cow with the spots gave birth to an angus looking heifer who is pure white...white as the snow! Not albino though. Bred to a black bull. I can't figure it out myself.

If hubby bring the camera back I'll take a pic for you...in fact let me see if I have a pic on the puter.

Findleyfarms":2xa3hrcv said:
Honest I swear...the cow with the spots gave birth to an angus looking heifer who is pure white...white as the snow! Not albino though. Bred to a black bull. I can't figure it out myself.

If hubby bring the camera back I'll take a pic for you...in fact let me see if I have a pic on the puter.
purebred angus ???? ive seen it happen with angus bull/ charolais cow years ago..

The neighbor has 2 herds one she uses a Charolais on the other an Angus. The heifers from one herd goes to the other. She's been doing this and swapping out bulls after 6-8 years or so for 30 plus years. Sure looks funny to see a solid white calf nursing a solid black cow that was bred to an Angus. They may actaully be grey, but they look white.

I checked the skin on these cows...its brown/tan, not black at all. Does that rule out angus or holstein???

I like the idea of dividing my herd and using different bulls. If I could afford the fencing I do it!

Latest posts