can you explain why you raise the cattle you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have raised brafords with a limi bull. Right now its mostly black brangus and baldies with a hereford bull. Around here everytime a black white faced calf comes thru the ring the price goes up 20 cents a pound. Thats why. Char crossed calves do well also.

B&M Farms":rjapr8gb said:
I have raised brafords with a limi bull. Right now its mostly black brangus and baldies with a hereford bull. Around here everytime a black white faced calf comes thru the ring the price goes up 20 cents a pound. Thats why. Char crossed calves do well also.

As you said that yellow white face ring's the bell here as well.

We raise registered Tarentaise cattle. Got started because an opportunity came along. Took the opportunity because I believe the genetics are valuable but becoming rare. They came from France originally, way up in the Alps. A pure base because of their isolation from other breeds. However the French cattle have been selected for dairy purposes only and current photo's from France show them looking like a modern dairy cow - bag of bones with a huge udder. The older, more balanced genetics that came to North America don't exist in France any more. If we don't preserve them here, they are gone. Now that the industry is swinging back to the more moderate size animals, I believe a modest size cow with an excellent udder, sound hard feet, good fertility and mothering ability, and no genetic defects found within the breed has a contribution to make.

Environment has been the primary consideration, when I started in the harsh bushveld environment there was no logic in breeding temperate breeds which could not cope with the harsh tropical conditions. The Tuli breed chose me as they out performed all the other breeds and crosses I started with, while producing a carcase equal to Aberdeen Angus. I used the breed again when I lived in NC where they thrived on rough grazing on old cotton fields around Raeford town. At present I am managing in England where we run Native strain Aberdeen Angus and Hereford as the types adapted to the temperate climate, all grass reared and direct sold through the on farm plant and butchery.

MO_cows":39iwgfd8 said:
We raise registered Tarentaise cattle. Got started because an opportunity came along. Took the opportunity because I believe the genetics are valuable but becoming rare. They came from France originally, way up in the Alps. A pure base because of their isolation from other breeds. However the French cattle have been selected for dairy purposes only and current photo's from France show them looking like a modern dairy cow - bag of bones with a huge udder. The older, more balanced genetics that came to North America don't exist in France any more. If we don't preserve them here, they are gone. Now that the industry is swinging back to the more moderate size animals, I believe a modest size cow with an excellent udder, sound hard feet, good fertility and mothering ability, and no genetic defects found within the breed has a contribution to make.

Do you have a website?

I was quite surprised to see so many people against angus throughout this site. Although I respect that everyone has their own opinion and preferences. I would like to hear some reasons why people are opposed to angus. And I am certainly not saying that there arent reasons not to like them. To me, every breed has advantages and disadvantages. I had a professor tell me once that anyone who raised angus in Texas was just stupid. That they were a northern breed. He may be right, but I sure do see a lot of them here. And for the most part they seem to do quite well. Ours do.

Most of my life my family raised commercial cattle, with a little bit of everything. Cow-calf. We tried Gert bulls, Hereford, Brangus, and a few others inbetween. Eventually we landed at Angus and it just stuck. Currently we run registered angus and commercial angus crosses on the side. We stick with black cattle, or baldies. As long as theyre black. Most of the sales I go to tend to dock cattle for color. Not always, but mostly. Personally I like red angus. But not when it comes to market. One thing ive always wondered is why brangus people cut the angus breed so much. Surely they know that its partly the angus genetics that make a brangus what it is. I like brangus. But they tend to be bigger cattle. And i believe a smaller cow can raise just as good of a calf in a cow-calf scenario. Especially when were shipping at 500-700 lbs. I dont see much difference in the two up to that range. I also believe an angus makes just as good of a cow as a brangus, without all that ear. That extra ear just doesnt make them look quite as sharp in my opinion.
But like I said, every breed has its faults. Including angus. Id like to see more structure put back into the registered angus. More bone. But i do believe there will always be a strong market for angus. Mostly because the angus breed does such a good job at marketing. They create programs to obtain higher premiums, and I cant argue with that. In the end, I like black cattle. As long as they have a strong angus or brangus influence, ill take em.

Anguscattle":1uprxzke said:
I was quite surprised to see so many people against angus throughout this site. Although I respect that everyone has their own opinion and preferences. I would like to hear some reasons why people are opposed to angus. And I am certainly not saying that there arent reasons not to like them. To me, every breed has advantages and disadvantages. I had a professor tell me once that anyone who raised angus in Texas was just stupid. That they were a northern breed. He may be right, but I sure do see a lot of them here. And for the most part they seem to do quite well. Ours do.

Most of my life my family raised commercial cattle, with a little bit of everything. Cow-calf. We tried Gert bulls, Hereford, Brangus, and a few others inbetween. Eventually we landed at Angus and it just stuck. Currently we run registered angus and commercial angus crosses on the side. We stick with black cattle, or baldies. As long as theyre black. Most of the sales I go to tend to dock cattle for color. Not always, but mostly. Personally I like red angus. But not when it comes to market. One thing ive always wondered is why brangus people cut the angus breed so much. Surely they know that its partly the angus genetics that make a brangus what it is. I like brangus. But they tend to be bigger cattle. And i believe a smaller cow can raise just as good of a calf in a cow-calf scenario. Especially when were shipping at 500-700 lbs. I dont see much difference in the two up to that range. I also believe an angus makes just as good of a cow as a brangus, without all that ear. That extra ear just doesnt make them look quite as sharp in my opinion.
But like I said, every breed has its faults. Including angus. Id like to see more structure put back into the registered angus. More bone. But i do believe there will always be a strong market for angus. Mostly because the angus breed does such a good job at marketing. They create programs to obtain higher premiums, and I cant argue with that. In the end, I like black cattle. As long as they have a strong angus or brangus influence, ill take em.

:roll: It's all about what works for each individual... IMO environment is the biggest factor...

Justin

Massey135":1jsyynyv said:
Pick the "breed" you like- pick the "type" that suits your environment.

IDK... there isn't a "type" of Scottish Highlander that would suit my environment. That's an extreme example, but for instance, I want a touch of "ear" on my cattle down here, so in turn will choose a breed with just that, a little "ear". Now, I pick a "type" that is going to be best suited to how I manage these cattle under my environment. :2cents:

I defiantly agree though, type has a whole lot to do with it.....

Justin

SSGenetics":zukbit50 said:
Massey135":zukbit50 said:

IDK... there isn't a "type" of Scottish Highlander that would suit my environment. That's an extreme example, but for instance, I want a touch of "ear" on my cattle down here, so in turn will choose a breed with just that, a little "ear". Now, I pick a "type" that is going to be best suited to how I manage these cattle under my environment. :2cents:

Justin

It's hard to beat Brangus cows if you're looking for a little ear. I've been to 10-15 purebred sales of various breeds here in Texas and surrounding states. EVERY ONE of them had Brangus recips. IMO that speaks VOLUMES!! If your a commercial cattleman looking for what to use in your area, A good starting point would be to call around to some of the purebred breeders in your area and ask them, "What breed of cows are you using as recips?" - then go out there and see what type they are.

The Scottish is an extreme example.. but I bet if one were to look, you would find comparable types in all of the modern beef breeds.

I would have to respectively argue that angus & angus crosses make excellent recips as well. We use them in our ET program with great success. But brangus are great cattle. I just dont like the extra "ear".. Ive heard that there are benefits to having that ear.
So what does it add to the cattle?

Heat tolerance, insect resistance, good mothering ability for starters.

I'm with you Anguscattle, I love the Angus breed myself. I also enjoy Hereford, Shorthorn, Simmental, Limousin, etc...heck, I like just about all of 'em.

We raise Angus however.

Anguscattle":2yf4u1xa said:
I would have to respectively argue that angus & angus crosses make excellent recips as well. We use them in our ET program with great success. But brangus are great cattle. I just dont like the extra "ear".. Ive heard that there are benefits to having that ear.

A brahma cross cow on average will wean off a bigger calf on less feed, breed back timely at a 4, and do it for at least fifteen years with teeth still in her head. Most crossbreeds will outperform purebreeds in a commercial enviroment on average. Heterosis with any crossbreeds is a huge tool for commercial operations. I would say the biggest advantage I see with using brangus over angus cattle in Texas is longivity and heat tolerance on nothing but hay and grass. JMO

Massey135":1s872mtn said:
SSGenetics":1s872mtn said:
Massey135":1s872mtn said:

Justin

It's hard to beat Brangus cows if you're looking for a little ear. I've been to 10-15 purebred sales of various breeds here in Texas and surrounding states. EVERY ONE of them had Brangus recips. IMO that speaks VOLUMES!! If your a commercial cattleman looking for what to use in your area, A good starting point would be to call around to some of the purebred breeders in your area and ask them, "What breed of cows are you using as recips?" - then go out there and see what type they are.

The Scottish is an extreme example.. but I bet if one were to look, you would find comparable types in all of the modern beef breeds.
:nod: :nod: most pure bred breeders here use brangus cows too. Great advice

Anguscattle":1b2kwdk8 said:
Bos Indicus provide heat tolerance, parasite resistance, longevity and a high degree of heterosis, if you are not keen on the "ear" but need these attributes in your herd, try crossing to one of the available Sanga breeds, here are some Angus crosses;
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=11756081

Anguscattle":3csqhgic said:

I agree with your professor. The average daily high in their summer native environment is comparable to my winters.

I can't keep the bulls off of my property. That is my biggest issue and sore spot. Heifers bred to young, pure brangus being bred etc. The bulls are nuts. They are always showing up on my place from somewhere or another. Last time it was two and they came from a widow's place miles away from me which means they had to cross the river and several fences to get here. I am well beyond fed up. Sheriff is changing the county laws on ranges because of all of the bull problems. They cost me a great deal of time and money in fence repairs when they are done wrecking everything.

The breed as it is now is nothing like it originally was. Most old cattlemen swear there has been tainting. All I know is they don't average the same weights they did in the 60's. They are twice the size. I don't know of any other breed changing its size and appearance as they have.

Trying to jump gates and landing on them ruins the gates. Pulling fence posts out of the ground to get under the fence when I raise them to keep them from jumping is another issue. Hot wire will not stop them. They jump cattle guards the gas companies put in. Cost to me and time for repairs are the biggest pain in the butt. I don't even run that breed but get stuck with all the ramifications of other people owning them. It makes no sense to me why anyone would want to have to deal with all this maintenances issues they cause.

I will take some updated pictures of the herds of native Aberdeen Angus and native Hereford here at Laverstoke, both herds trace their unbroken pedigree back to the original foundation cattle, this will give a reference point to compare with the modern types.

I agree with your professor. The average daily high in their summer native environment is comparable to my winters.

I can't keep the bulls off of my property. That is my biggest issue and sore spot. Heifers bred to young, pure brangus being bred etc. The bulls are nuts. They are always showing up on my place from somewhere or another. Last time it was two and they came from a widow's place miles away from me which means they had to cross the river and several fences to get here. I am well beyond fed up. Sheriff is changing the county laws on ranges because of all of the bull problems. They cost me a great deal of time and money in fence repairs when they are done wrecking everything.

The breed as it is now is nothing like it originally was. Most old cattlemen swear there has been tainting. All I know is they don't average the same weights they did in the 60's. They are twice the size. I don't know of any other breed changing its size and appearance as they have.

Trying to jump gates and landing on them ruins the gates. Pulling fence posts out of the ground to get under the fence when I raise them to keep them from jumping is another issue. Hot wire will not stop them. They jump cattle guards the gas companies put in. Cost to me and time for repairs are the biggest pain in the butt. I don't even run that breed but get stuck with all the ramifications of other people owning them. It makes no sense to me why anyone would want to have to deal with all this maintenances issues they cause.

Are you saying that the angus breed has doubled its size since the 60's??
The angus breed was getting fairly large in size there for a while, but in recent years they have been cut back A LOT.
Most breeders are selecting for a moderate framed cow these days. And most of them are just that. Moderate in size.
As far as location is concerned... Well I agree that Texas isn't the same as their native range in Scotland. But the angus today are not the Scottish angus brought over years ago! They have been changed so much and have adapted to different climates. My professors argument was based solely on the fact that they are black. He said black cattle didnt belong in a hot environment. C'mon now, really?? If that were true... Well goodbye brangus, angus, maines, limis and others! They are all raised in Texas.
As far as fence jumping.. It sounds as if you are saying that is strictly an angus thing. Ive seen bulls of all breeds jump fences. I dont have an answer for your situation. There is no telling what made them get out and travel like that. Im sorry to hear of your bad luck! Hopefully that doesnt happen again!

Andybob,

I had known of those advantages with the bos indicus breeds, but didnt understand how the ear relates to those features.
I am in no way saying brahman and brangus etc arent good cattle. Just stating my opinion that angus is also a good breed and do quite well as recips in an ET program.

Latest posts