can you explain why you raise the cattle you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43":1w457ab5 said:
fatcattle
with a #1 500 lb stocker bringing a $1000 or more, if you had to buy now, what would do, would you buy at that price or just sit it out for awhile, or look at buying something else, it is just scary to invest so much money in one small calf, I have been kicking around all kinds of options and a I have not come up with an answer as to what to do.

That is a decision you gotta make. Lots of commercial folks sold out cows last year. They intended to go to stockers when grass was good. If it is a wet year, you now have more competition. That's a tough situation.

Red Bull Breeder":3qn7ke2n said:
Jo if i started the unbalancer breed would that be copywrite infringement??

As long as I could get half the technology and marketing fee I don't see why there'd be any problem. I'm sure we could work out an agreement similar to what Bristol Myers and Sanofi did with the Plavix deal. We are talking about the same money so it should be cookbook.

Isomade":72fjzr0j said:
dun":72fjzr0j said:
I can;t even explain WHY I raise cattle!
:lol: What? You mean we could actually make more money doing something else? :lol:
Seems I heard he use to make big money singing the national anthem at the cockfights. :cowboy:

TexasBred":1af4f9vd said:
Sold out last year. Small registered Black Brangus herd. I had a great market for the heifers...most of the bulls were sold private treaty or at sale barn and always sold very well.... great mama cows, very fertile, hardy, gentle when handled right and they handle our climate well. I just like'em. Stand one of those regal ladies beside an angus and she makes the angus look bad mistake.

In years past I use to run a lot of cross bred cattle....most purchased at local auction barn. Seems if you sit long enough one or two come thru the ring with nothing wrong with them but nobody wants them so you can buy them cheap. Long bred, take them home and calve them out, haul them back and hit a pretty good lick......ever color in the world and probably made more money on them than with the registered stuff. Most all local cattle so no matter the breeding they were aclimated to our environment well.

Let me guess, the cattle were getting in the way of sharing your infinite wisdom on this board!

Red Bull Breeder":2yo3kxv1 said:
I raise what i want to. Cause i can.

Ditto that. But if I was doing it for a living it would be Brangus again = they withstand our heat, good milking, low birth weights/ they ramp up fast, and they sell well.

Scroote":2fjvjedx said:
TexasBred":2fjvjedx said:
Sold out last year. Small registered Black Brangus herd. I had a great market for the heifers...most of the bulls were sold private treaty or at sale barn and always sold very well.... great mama cows, very fertile, hardy, gentle when handled right and they handle our climate well. I just like'em. Stand one of those regal ladies beside an angus and she makes the angus look bad mistake.

In years past I use to run a lot of cross bred cattle....most purchased at local auction barn. Seems if you sit long enough one or two come thru the ring with nothing wrong with them but nobody wants them so you can buy them cheap. Long bred, take them home and calve them out, haul them back and hit a pretty good lick......ever color in the world and probably made more money on them than with the registered stuff. Most all local cattle so no matter the breeding they were aclimated to our environment well.

Let me guess, the cattle were getting in the way of sharing your infinite wisdom on this board!

I've learned quite a lot from TexasBred in my short time on Cattle Today Scroote. I still have lots to learn I freely admit.

Scroote":1372z8oo said:
TexasBred":1372z8oo said:

Well hello Stud Duck. Glad to see you recognize superior intellgence and but still come out occasionally to get a bit of enlightenment. Now slither back under your rock.

I admit I have learned little fromTxbred; however I learnt nothing from scroote, save how to be rude to people one does not really know, to disrespect the elders on this board, and generally be an enemy to one of our african friends.

dun":2f6l6wdf said:

Because they have a higher IQ than we do. When sweat is running down the crack your butt messing with hay ole Belle is in the shade chewing her cud. When we have ice hanging off our hat brim putting out hay ole Belle is laying in the loafing shed. The thing that really hurt's is when you finally figure it out that an animal whose stomach is 30 times larger than it's brain and we are the lacky's.
Isom will most likely never figure out what this is about much less the IQ part.

Caustic Burno":uv63h5i9 said:
dun":uv63h5i9 said:

Because they have a higher IQ than we do. When sweat is running down the crack your butt messing with hay ole Belle is in the shade chewing her cud. When we have ice hanging off our hat brim putting out hay ole Belle is laying in the loafing shed. The thing that really hurt's is when you finally figure it out that an animal whose stomach is 30 times larger than it's brain and we are the lacky's.
Isom will most likely never figure out what this is about much less the IQ part.
I hope not. I plan on being 90 and still being outwitted by cows. My goal is to be the oldest man at the coffee shop still ranching and doing the work myself.

Red Bull Breeder":ksfkarke said:
Them is lofty goals isom.
There are three gentlemen here that I always make sure I stop by and shoot the breeze with. One is 94, one is 82, and the other is 80. They all still run what I consider sizable operations, 300 mamas or more, and do most of the work themselves. I'm hoping there is something in the water down here :D . I have tons of respect for men like that. They are just a wealth of knowledge. I soak up all I can.

Isomade":3m3pvs1a said:
Red Bull Breeder":3m3pvs1a said:
There are three gentlemen here that I always make sure I stop by and shoot the breeze with. One is 94, one is 82, and the other is 80. They all still run what I consider sizable operations, 300 mamas or more, and do most of the work themselves. I'm hoping there is something in the water down here :D . I have tons of respect for men like that. They are just a wealth of knowledge. I soak up all I can.

Its a shame it evaporates so fast. :mrgreen: :hide: :lol2: :lol2:

I got back into cattle with Hereford x Gelbvieh cross because I had to have gentle animals due to poor fencing and small children. Since then we have been working on a fullblood gelbvieh herd. The reason for that is to preserve a genetic base and hopefully satisfy a niche market when breeders seek a specific set of genetics.

Jogeephus":2hva9nki said:
Isomade":2hva9nki said:
Red Bull Breeder":2hva9nki said:

Its a shame it evaporates so fast. :mrgreen: :hide: :lol2: :lol2:
:lol: :lol: Dammit, I got nothin', y'all are gonna have to give me a minute. Jogee if you do this shyt 16-17 more times we ain't gonna be friends no more. :lol:

Latest posts