can you explain why you raise the cattle you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

fatcattle

Reaction score
Just wondering what the thought process of some producers is on selecting breed and type. I've been running stocker steers for the last 16 years so I have some definite preferences. I've run cattle from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, New Mexico, Texas, and of course Oklahoma. Every size from 250 to 750 at purchase. Mostly bulls. The leggier crosses and continentals made good money when feed and freight were cheap. Right now the moderate frame english calves are the only ones I can afford to run. They are higher to purchase and only receive a slight premium at sale time but inputs are so much less they turn a much better profit. They made more money when feed was cheap also. Not trying to start any fights, I really want to know why some cattle are bred. Just giving some background and telling what one of your customers has to say.

Climate.

You cannot change climate so try to use something that thrives in it. My overnight lows will be in the low 80's during the summer. It aint so much the heat of the day (cows can lay up in the shade) but warm nights that get cold climate cows dropping weight during the summer.

I will second the climate reasoning. My favorite cow for southern Ok are the Brangus baldy and the ultra black. I feel it gives me just enough ear to help with the heat but not so much that I can't nock the leather off with my favorite terminal cross which is the Charolais, and get a premium for pounds. A grey calf with a black nose is the best selling calf I have seen around here.

I a lot of the small guys around here raise the breed that they think works the best for them. And it always seems to be the breed they always have had. I think they talk themselves into liking what they have or what their dad liked. I you read enought suff you will find something thaty says your breed is the best.

ALACOWMAN":2aps65e7 said:

That's my reason number 2. And it is right up there with reason number 1. Mostly I can't sell what I don't have and I don't want to continually replace cows. Mortality and pounds.

I made my decision after going to the sale barn several times and watching who was buying what and how much they paid. Instead of merely watching the cattle I took notes on the buyers and found the two who were ringing the bell. A few more early visits allowed me to have conversations with them and I asked them what they were looking for. After two year's of modifications I was able to give them what they wanted and the end result has been mutually beneficial.

I raise Gelbvieh x Angus mostly. I like the cross and it works for me and they bring top dollar in my area. I am not far enough south to need extra ear and eared cattle get docked here so I stay away from them for that reason only. I have found that the Gelbvieh influence has added muscle, milk and docility to my herd and the Gelbvieh influenced cows that I have are really good mommas. I am in the "green" belt for the most part. The climate here is mostly moderate in the winter and we usually have more than adequate rain. Aside from a couple of dry years grass has not been a problem so I can support the heavier milkers. If I didn't raise Gelbvieh I would probably raise the Limi x Angus as they make some of the best looking cattle that I ever saw and I love the 4 that I have in my herd. I really like baldies too. I raise what I raise because it has worked for me, I like them and so do my customers and the buyers at the sale. The way I look at it is that there is no perfect breed but it is what works best for your area, management practices and market.

well we run a crossbred cow herd.then a friend talked a buddy into buying 2 reg beefmasters bulls an some reg bred heifers an cows.i went with him an like what i saw as well as the cattles temperment.so i started looking for a reg bull.an later on bought some reg cows to start a herd.they fitt our climate to a T.an they hold up in this drought.plus the calves hitt the ground growing.

Here in Western Washington I have lush pastures in the summer but this is a terible place to winter cattle. Rainy, wet, muddy and 36 degrees is tough on cows. I am close enough to Eastern Washington and Oregon to get older bred cows that can't travel well enough to survive any longer on their range conditions. So starting mid winter I buy older bred cows. I calf them out. When I go to grass these cows have never seen grass like that before. The calves grow and the cows get fat. About the end of August I wean the calves and ship all those old cows. The cows have gained enough condition that they often bring as much as I paid for them originally. I precondition the calves and sell them in early October.

I do have a few younger cows which I keep year round just because I have to have some cows around. But I know that I make more money on those older cows.

Red Bull Breeder":1or8mprd said:
Sure thought i would have took longer than two years to select the right genetics for them Unbalancers Jo.

That's Imbalancer® not Unbalancer. Haven't released that one yet. And yes it will take time. I'm following the Monsanto business model and when its perfected have your pocketbooks ready cause they ain't going to come cheap.

Sold out last year. Small registered Black Brangus herd. I had a great market for the heifers...most of the bulls were sold private treaty or at sale barn and always sold very well.... great mama cows, very fertile, hardy, gentle when handled right and they handle our climate well. I just like'em. Stand one of those regal ladies beside an angus and she makes the angus look bad mistake.

In years past I use to run a lot of cross bred cattle....most purchased at local auction barn. Seems if you sit long enough one or two come thru the ring with nothing wrong with them but nobody wants them so you can buy them cheap. Long bred, take them home and calve them out, haul them back and hit a pretty good lick......ever color in the world and probably made more money on them than with the registered stuff. Most all local cattle so no matter the breeding they were aclimated to our environment well.

Red Bull Breeder":232vt280 said:
Sure thought i would have took longer than two years to select the right genetics for them Unbalancers Jo.
That Demetrious can sure work wonders can't he?

fatcattle
with a #1 500 lb stocker bringing a $1000 or more, if you had to buy now, what would do, would you buy at that price or just sit it out for awhile, or look at buying something else, it is just scary to invest so much money in one small calf, I have been kicking around all kinds of options and a I have not come up with an answer as to what to do.

market & climate.

Limflex My red angus cows are the the best I've seen at retaining body condition in any type weather, breed back consistently,
and bring in the $$$ at market time.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Isomade, those are my favorites also, have gotten tough to find though. Cowboy43 I have sat out most of this season, loaded up on light weight drought calves in the spring and early summer. Bought alot of nice three weight heifers and plan on breeding them. Ran an older set that I am calving out and have an offer on when I get done. Running just enough steers to for cash flow. The market and weather have completely changed my business model. I took in some gain cattle, first time since high-school. He was willing to pay more than I could make owning them. It's a natural beef outfit and they needed pasture badly.

Latest posts