Calves freezing to death

Help Support CattleToday:

Longshot Cattle Co

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with newborn calves freezing to death? We have lost 4 calves in the last week because the cow dropped the calf in freezing mud slop, unfortunately the weather here is not cooperating with us. Saturday, we had 2 calves born, the first appeared very weak and stiff, we rinsed with warm water and blew it dry with the blower. Gave it some colostrum and put her back with mama. she's fine. An hour later we located a calf by the bawling , it was half frozen already, took this one in the bathtub and tried to warm it up, but it was too far gone. With 100 head of cattle this is just not practical. I might add that we bought these animals bred and did not have a clue when they would calve because the exposure dates were wrong. Any suggestions? :x

Only one I had die that maybe could have been freezing was when it was 15 below, but I think it had more to do with calf not getting up and eating. Having a good calving area is very important when calving in cold weather, but it seems like some of the cows insist on calving in the worst spot possible.

What part of Wisconsin are you in? It has been really warm in central MN so far this year with only a handfull of days that haven't been at least 30 degrees. I figured that the warm weather was heading your way also. Our problem is we have ice all over the place, the snow melts just enough to get things wet, then it freezes at night again. Good luck with the rest of the cows.

Welcome to around the clock night and day calving. Not fun is it.

Happens with us when it's -40. and that was the end of Feb start of March. Other times like you when it's wet and windy.

Some breeds of cattle are not vigorous when born and this has some to do with it. The vigor of - yeah I'll get up when I feel like it (10 minutes later).

Is there anyway you can seperate the cows that are calvie and put them in a lot where you can watch them when they start to calve? And when she drops the calf drag/carry him to a drier higher spot? So she can lick him dry. Or near trees, willows, brush.

I've got the right thing going putting the calf in the tub, but instead of just rinsing him of put him in a tub of warm water. Don't gradually warm the water the quicker that calf thaws out the more likely the tissue won't die - frozen feet, ears ,tail, insides.

Another option is if you are aways from the tub is to have a warming hut that you have with you. Our is made out of a old truck sleeper. It's on wheels so I can take it to where I need to be. Then theres' a grated rack half way up the side so the calf can lay on it. And then it is heated via propane heater. then you can get him to the house and to the tub.

We are in Central WI and it's not so much as the temperature 20-30's as it is the rain and mud. The (surface) ground temp is just at freezing so it is muddy with water pockets that cannot drain away. The cows always seem to pick the dirtiest spot!!! When those calves are covered in slop the cows won't clean em up. We try and check every 4 hours, but you can't always be there! Some of our heifers didn't even look close and all of a sudden there was a calf. I think if the ground would just freeze and the temp stay below 30 we'd be ok...Had some calves earlier in the month with hard ground and snow and they are up and running fine. We do have a place in the loafing shed that we keep for maternity, but can't always get the cows in....we'll keep trying. Thanks for the advice about the tub, I was afraid to use too warm of water too quickly, but If I'm going to lose the calf anyway, I'd rather try something! PS I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought I would let my husband bring calves into the house.......I'm a city gal, at least I was 20 years ago!

About the best way to save them in those conditions is to live with them- so you can get them dry and warmed or at least on dry ground when they hit the ground- checking at least each hour.....

We have one room in the barn that is heated by a forced air heater- Can stick a couple cows and calves in there or several calves--We don't calve until March 20th and usually calve out on the grass- but it seems like we always get at least one or two spring storms that make everything sloppy or brings 20 below temps, where we spend night and day hauling or dragging in calves.. Or warming them under the heater of the pickup-- One of these days I'm going to break down and buy one of those commercial calf warmers.

I would start questioning those cows-- I've had calves that were covered with mud and sh*t that the cows would still try licking off--- I agree with cattlegal about cattle breeds--some are just more maternal and some calves just have more will to live-- Not meaning to plug a breed- but thats why I went back to the angus and angus X's -- Saw angus calves born at 20 below on the prairie on their own survive- up and sucking in five minutes- and once they get their belly full they usually make it- many times lose their ears and tails--sometimes freeze their feet.... Watched many of the continental breeds calves that are slow to get up that would of layed there and froze if we hadn't helped them...

Calves seem to have a worst time living in 30-40 above weather and sloppy conditions than they do sometimes in 20 below weather-- And now with those conditions you better be watching for scours........

Sorry for your troubles,guess it goes with the territory. COLD and WET can be a lethal combination. A cold rain hurts cows moe than the snow, especially with a wind chill factored in. just another reason for specific breeding seasons. My neighbor has been in the business for over 50 years,he used to run a bull with the girls year round and has taken his lumps losing calves to the cold, even in Arkansas. This year though,he started penning up his bulls with the intent of putting them back in the middle of May so that his calves would be born in mid-march when the grass starts coming back out and it is a little warmer.

I personally would change calving dates to warmer times. We had 2 freeze one year and that was it. And calving 90 days a year is a lot easier to watch than 365.

That's why we calve in Feb and March when the ground is still frozen. But after the coldest periods are gone(sometimes). When it starts thawing watch out mud and bactiria. Then there's the +30 days and the -10 nights. Pneumonia here we come.

Green grass doesn't come for us until late May so no need for us to adjust calving to green grass. And we get the wet snow through Memorial Weekend, ok so it's snowed in June and July and August too.

Oh don't make the water to hot, but the same as if you were taking a comfortable bath.

I guess now you know to check out the historical temps and weather paterns when to calve. To bad you had to go through the wrong calving period from what you were told.

Wyoming - Any certain region?

if you can turn them back onto some grass, into a corn field, something to get them out of the lot. when you'll have the most problems with diseases and survival rate is if they are dry-lotted

Longshot Cattle Co":142bdxpc said:
Has anyone had any problems with newborn calves freezing to death? We have lost 4 calves in the last week because the cow dropped the calf in freezing mud slop, unfortunately the weather here is not cooperating with us. Saturday, we had 2 calves born, the first appeared very weak and stiff, we rinsed with warm water and blew it dry with the blower. Gave it some colostrum and put her back with mama. she's fine. An hour later we located a calf by the bawling , it was half frozen already, took this one in the bathtub and tried to warm it up, but it was too far gone. With 100 head of cattle this is just not practical. I might add that we bought these animals bred and did not have a clue when they would calve because the exposure dates were wrong. Any suggestions? :x

The only time we had a similar problem was when we had a selemiun defiency.Check your mineral program.

What a disaster Longshot! I feel your pain.. I lived in northern Illinois and spent many a winter night checking heifers every few hours. The just freezing and slop is a lot worse than just cold.. for some reason it seems to make the calves colder faster.

Just an open sided shed where you can run a few head would help.. but it's always easier to sit give advice from the couch (which is where I am)! I'm sure next time you buy heifers you'll have them preg checked and make sure they aren't calving this time of year.

I like DR's suggestion.. Texas is a BEAUTIFUL state, and it's nice and warm here! I can refer you to a good real estate agent.. :lol:

Unfortunately, we've had our share of frozen calves. Basically all a soul can do to prevent it if you've got a cold spell and calving at the same time is to run frequent checks on your cows.

If anything looks close to calving, run her into the barn or shed. If it's minus 15C or the equivalent with the wind chill, I check every 20 to 30 minutes (always amazing how quickly some of the old gals can get the job done when it comes to delivering a calf). If it's warmer, I check hourly (maximum).

On warming up cold calves (and yeah, no matter how diligent you are, up here it seems to happen that there's always a few that need some extra TLC):
1. A real dandy indicator is mouth temperature. If the calf's mouth is cool, then you're about to work your buns off.

2. I've never had great success with the warm water immersion trick, so Honey and I built a "hotbox" for chilled calves. It's a fair sized free standing wooden structure that has a false floor with holes drilled in it. We place an electric heater under the false floor, and pop the calf into the box to let the warm air heat it up, after a brisk rubbing with old towels to promote circulation and remove excess liquid on the calf.

3. Before I put the calf into the hotbox, I also tube it with colostrum. My theory on that is that you give them an energy boost with that nice warm milk, but I'm no expert on the pros or cons of that.

BUT if the calf is severly hypothermiated (neck arched, eyes cloudy, rattling that death bawl - saddest sound in the world for a rancher-) then it's a real luck of the draw if you can bring them back to the land of the living. My understanding is that what happens is that sometimes you think you're gaining because the calf seems to be warming up, but the toxins from the tissue that was deprived of circulation when the body core temperature was so low overload the liver (if I'm remembering correctly). Kind of like a bad "crush" wound to a limb - the body can't handle the toxin overload and dies after the blood flow to the affected limb is restored. Sorry if my explanation is kind of muddled. Long day again.

Vicki would know more. Miss her input.

Sure hope your calving luck takes a turn for the better.

Take care.

CA is right about the hotbox...most places would be disasters without them. I've seen them with an overhead heater, and with side air heating as well...as long as it's warm and dry, it works. I worked in Saskatchewan in the winter (10 below was considered a warm day in the winter) and you just didn't see that many cold calves because of hot boxes! The key is that the calf will chill quickly when cold AND wet. Dry them and warm them. I've even used a hair dryer in a pinch to dry them.

Getting a source of energy into the calf is also essential. Colostrum is absolutely the best, but even corn syrup on the gums can help. The calf can't warm if the core is cold without energy.

And even though I don't post much, I read this fairly frequently...

If you are already dragging the calves into the house (I've had my share in here also), I have seen a calf warmer made to hook up the clothes dryer exhaust vent into for the warm air. Also, I go to the goodwill store a few months before calving and collect "pet blankets". Blankets that are stained or have holes. Garbage bag for $5, and then you don't feel bad throwing them away in the end.

Dee":3qrgp7j8 said:
I go to the goodwill store a few months before calving and collect "pet blankets". Blankets that are stained or have holes. Garbage bag for $5, and then you don't feel bad throwing them away in the end.

We just use the same old towels/sheets/blankets year after year.

dun

You all have been so helpful. When the "opportunity" to purchase this herd and triple our numbers came up, I told the hubby, just buy the cattle, we'll figure out the details later. I'm eating those words, but I'm also getting a quick education about what works and what doesn't....Like the well low on water because the demand is too high, didn't have that problem when the creek was open. I'm now chopping ice out of it every day! I guess I have to chalk this up to the learning curve and hope I learn from it. We are finally cold enough that the wet is gone, so hopefully things get better....only 10 more animals to go!

Cattle Gal, Anywhere in Wyoming except Rock Springs!!! I have a son in Laramie and his girlfriend is from Evergreen CO. I've wanted to live in Wyoming since I was 12. I get there every year to refresh the soul!

Longshot Cattle Co":136rhot9 said:
You all have been so helpful. When the "opportunity" to purchase this herd and triple our numbers came up, I told the hubby, just buy the cattle, we'll figure out the details later. I'm eating those words, but I'm also getting a quick education about what works and what doesn't....Like the well low on water because the demand is too high, didn't have that problem when the creek was open. I'm now chopping ice out of it every day! I guess I have to chalk this up to the learning curve and hope I learn from it. We are finally cold enough that the wet is gone, so hopefully things get better....only 10 more animals to go!

Cattle Gal, Anywhere in Wyoming except Rock Springs!!! I have a son in Laramie and his girlfriend is from Evergreen CO. I've wanted to live in Wyoming since I was 12. I get there every year to refresh the soul!

Glad the ground is hardening up. And only 10 to go. Hopefully it isn't a month or two on those 10 head.

It's pretty down in the Laramie region. And not to far to Denver. Cody isn't bad and Sheridan. And of course there's Jackson Hole for the ultra wealthy.

Howdy,
Well we had sorta the same problem. One of our twins got chilled and by the time we brought him in it was too late, but then again we had a calf born yesterday and there is snow on the ground so go figure. I'm thinking it was b/c he was out of twins and his immunity wasn't as high and he was getting enough nutrition but I dunno.
Ellie May

Latest posts