Calves freezing to death

Help Support CattleToday:

i have had a couple of close calls with this but one that comes to mind is about three years ago my fist hereford heifer was about to calf it was mid feb. the coldest month of the yearwith about 2 feet of snow well about a week before she was expected the calf i got her in a 20 by 20 pen in this old building i have in the pasture so she would be out of the weather and put plywood up on the north side because the building is open from north to south and closed east to west well it was about two days she was in there she was leaking some milk and all bagged up with some clear mucas hanging so i thought she was real close well about the thrid day i was up in the upper pasture spreading some munure and i she this little calf beded down in the snow and she was nice alive and healthy but i think the snow kept her warm i guess what we do is put her in a calf hutch with a heat lamp for a day or 2 and bottle feed her then we but her back with mom in the pen for a couple of days and she took well but any way the calf hutch and heat lamps and good bedding works great for me sorry for the long story i thought it was cool she was alive afet about four or five days on her own out there