Calf thread!

Help Support CattleToday:

I just saw your question. I will be looking for a black angus bull probably around January. I sold eight calves last week and was well pleased with them. I have 16 more that will be ready to sell by December. One of mine missed the trailer last week. I want to get him up to go and two heifers that will be ready in a few weeks. It aggravates me for one to get away, but this one got out the first time. Got him back in the lot and I was so proud. Next thing I know he is jumping the fence. His mama is a jumper. She had two heifers before him, and neither one of them was like that. She gets scared when you pen her up. She was really wild when I took over the cows three years ago. Now s
he is much better and comes up and eats from my hand. I named her Wild Girl. Now I am working on Wild Boy, but he will come up to me now. Just does not want to be penned up.
I always enjoy your pictures. You have some pretty cattle.

Funny you mention jumping, we had got the ones up to wean and one jumped and the rest followed. Looks like we'll have to fix the fencing Monday and get them all back up again, yay. Weather has been scorching. I bought one a couple years ago as a 2 year old that jumped and broke down the fencing pretty bad, but she eats from my hand now and is pretty gentle. We have one that balks pretty bad when you get around her on foot, but on the fourwheeler she comes up to me really gentle.
Thanks! Hope you find a good bull soon. We haven't decided if we are going to get a new one this year or wait until he breeds the cows after the calving season and then sell him.

Calves are growing great, and I should sell some next week. I'll post weights.
My shorthorn 1st calver's calf is pretty small, also horned. Wondering if she was bred to longhorn or corriente or it's small because it's her first calf. :roll: Nevertheless, the calf is destined to go to the salebarn. Will be 4 months old on the 20th.
tumblr_nr8qeuFWlo1rdftrko1_640.jpg

Pretty happy with my check.
Spotted bull calf that was a dud weighed 395 and brought $2.25
Spotted bull calf weighed 530 and brought $2.10
Black bull calf weighed 545 and brought $2.30
Still have some to sell, 2 bull calves and probably 2 or 3 heifers.

Latest posts