Calf thread!

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
*PICTURE HEAVY*

Will be using this thread to post my calves to see how they grow! They are out of my new bull so I'm excited to see how they grow.
First calf, heifer, DOB 11/06/14. Black angus x black angus(little shorthorn) cow's 3rd calf.
tumblr_nen8tzIlNO1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_neuof8i2671rdftrko2_500.jpg

Second calf, bull, DOB 11/09/14. Black angus x British white x Black angus. cow's 2nd calf. Cow's first calf was black, this one is white w/ black points.
tumblr_neuoe533Ja1rdftrko6_1280.jpg

tumblr_neuoe533Ja1rdftrko5_1280.jpg

I like them, too. Unfortunately, I don't think that my sale barn would though..which is a shame.

I finally have found time to update this thread :D Right now we have calved 10 and 7 of which are bull calves. 2 heifer calves are black and one is blaze faced.1/3 heifers have calved and we are watching the other two close. Pretty pleased due to the fact all of my british white cross cows calved ALL spotted calves but disappointed because all are ALL BULL CALVES. :( It's great to see them but disappointing because I have to sell them all in a few months.
Our cows are on average about a month behind in calving but very tight this season because we went without a bull for a few months. I like the tight season though, really helps to watch them all.

I'll just post the cute calves right now so I don't have a big big post. ;-)

11/25/14 blaze faced heifer from a 1st calver. The cow is out of one of my favorite cows.
tumblr_nfrk1bbj5E1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

12/02/14 spotted bull calf from my favorite cow.
tumblr_nfz6gcwR111rdftrko1_500.jpg

12/03/14 spotted bull calf.
tumblr_ng1d0zs6lu1rdftrko1_500.jpg

VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNINp3-URXU
12/15/14 baldy bull calf from a 2nd calver. momma is f1 x angus.
tumblr_ngn9y1H6Tk1rdftrko1_500.jpg

And this is my favorite calf currently and will probably stay my favorite :lol2: I'm afraid I will get attached to this one so I am trying to keep my distance. He is from a daughter of my favorite cow. He seems to grow like a weed and has a very good personality. Looks like he will be a thick calf. Very calm. Just wish he was a heifer. DOB 11/09 so he is over a month old.
tumblr_nfz6fzswvH1rdftrko2_500.jpg

tumblr_nge807y4Rq1rdftrko1_500.jpg

tumblr_ngp4zmyV2F1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Younger video of him fighting the trough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCp-5FBpJo4
Video of him checking me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBYrFw5HrCI

Taurus":10u7r4br said:
What kind of the two horned cows in the second last pic?
Blazed face scratching her neck is an older herf cross with the tips nubbed off and the other one is an f1 cross.
f1 with last years calf.
tumblr_n0wlcjBEFH1rdftrko1_500.jpg

This picture is over a year old of the herf x
tumblr_mv5i7uMWgs1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Good looking calves. I like them. It is hard not to get attached to them.

I'm very sad to say we did lose the old herf cross I posted earlier due to one of my worst fears: a really large backwards calf. Even if it wasn't backwards, it would have to have been pulled anyway. I was out of town for holiday, too, so I wasn't there for any of it. Really sucks because it's a big hit since my herd isn't that big and because she raised great calves. I think shouldn't be as attached to them as I am :oops: I also have 2 of my heifers are going to calve soon so I'm staying pretty on edge since I have already lost a cow.

On the brightside I did get reassurance that it was not the new bull's fault as I watched one calve Friday. I bought her as a 2 year old for $800, and so far, despite being my ugliest cow, she's done me well. :lol: I am pretty positive she is a longhorn cross, despite being polled. This is the first solid black calf she has dropped so far.
DOB 1/09/15
tumblr_nhxjpd3Mtp1rdftrko2_1280.jpg

Sorry about your cow. It really hurts to lose one. You have some pretty cattle.

Thanks williams and madamesophia.

Today one of my heifers calved unassisted :banana: It was a relief. I did not see if it was a bull calf, but since it is solid black I'm hoping it is. I have one more heifer left and then a couple cows. Knock on wood, we have not had to assist any besides the cow that I lost.
DOB 1/12/14
tumblr_ni3cy7rhnO1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

Nice heifer!.. Udderly impressive!

I've lost a few good cows.. sure sucks.. but when you see things work the way they're supposed to and calves running and playing.. it sure helps it not suck so bad

Nice heifer and a pretty little calf. I am glad they are okay. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you both.
The calf is a little heifer. Momma heifer has a ton of milk.
tumblr_ni8pwqXAvo1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Here is an update on my favorite bull calf. He is already 2 months old and the biggest calf out of the bunch.
tumblr_ni8u3flnLC1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Latest posts