Calf thread!

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you. I'm not exactly sure. The cow didn't give as much milk as she normally did, but the calf seemed fine so we didn't intervene. It was never sick or lethargic, but it also iced for a couple days so I did not ride out to check closely on all the cows those days. I found it after the ice had melted curled up dead. All the other calves are fine. Really sucks, made me second guess myself to see if I had missed anything.

Weather finally decided to be nice today and I was able to check them.
First calf heifer with an almost 2 month old heifer calf. Not a very good angle of the momma :roll:
tumblr_nkeorkrpee1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Babies are doing well. All are growing off alright, but I'm not that impressed with the muscling so far. :? Weather has been pretty nasty lately so I haven't been able to get good pictures. The old brindle cow is not improving, so she will be sold Thursday.
Still have 2 cows and a heifer to calve soon.
My oldest cow and 3 month old bull calf.
tumblr_nl0oudG6nw1rdftrko1_640.jpg

2nd calver, also the brindle cow's daughter, with a 3 month old bull calf.
tumblr_nl0oudG6nw1rdftrko2_640.jpg

White bull calf is my favorite so far at 4 months, and the heifer looking at the camera is 4 months as well but older by 4 days.
tumblr_nl0oudG6nw1rdftrko4_640.jpg

Thank you.
Today was very nice and warm so I went ahead and took some more pictures.
Favorite bull calf at 4 months.
tumblr_nl2jsvGXWm1rdftrko2_640.jpg

Same calf I posted yesterday nursing. 3 months old.
tumblr_nl2jsvGXWm1rdftrko4_640.jpg

Heifer calf at almost 4 months from 2nd calver. Don't like this calf's rear/tailhead that much.
tumblr_nl2jsvGXWm1rdftrko1_640.jpg

Heifer calf at 4 months, oldest calf of the herd. Not a very good picture, but she has better muscling than the rest. Has just a little bit of shorthorn.
tumblr_nl2jsvGXWm1rdftrko3_640.jpg

Spring grass is coming in and cows and calves are loving it. My old brindle cow's health declined rapidly and was down and very weak despite us trying to save her, we put her down to stop her suffering. Very sad to see her go in such a poor way, she was very sweet and gentle. I'm glad I have 2 daughters out of her, but sucks to lose her.
On the upside, the red shorthorn heifer I bought calved a red heifer(?) calf and has a nice little bag for a 1st calver.

I have enjoyed your pictures of your calves! Thank you for posting! I used to have a cow that was marked like your favorite bullcalf. Wish I hadn't have sold her!

Thank you! I do wish I had more that are colored like him, definitely brightens up the pasture and makes it easier to find hidden calves. :D

Today was beautiful and 75 degrees, also my grandpa's birthday.
tumblr_nlol7gjxwe1rdftrko1_640.jpg

I stopped and was surrounded by the older calves today. Tallest is a yearling heifer.
tumblr_nlolaiRehG1rdftrko2_640.jpg

tumblr_nlolaiRehG1rdftrko3_640.jpg

tumblr_nlolaiRehG1rdftrko4_640.jpg

tumblr_nlolaiRehG1rdftrko5_640.jpg

My shorthorn heifer's calf is a little girl. Very leggy.
tumblr_nlol7yNwnm1rdftrko1_500.jpg

tumblr_nlol7yNwnm1rdftrko2_500.jpg

Heifer from a 1st calver. 2 months old - DOB 1/12
tumblr_nlolaiRehG1rdftrko7_640.jpg

British white x black angus. 3 months old - DOB 12/03
tumblr_nlolel1l4x1rdftrko4_1280.jpg

Heifer from 1st calver looking very angry at me. 2 months old - DOB 1/21
tumblr_nlolgdxWq71rdftrko9_640.jpg

2 4 month old bull calves on pond bank.
tumblr_nlolaiRehG1rdftrko1_640.jpg

Favorite baby discovered me and ate my fingers and knees. 4 months old - DOB 11/10
Little note - all my british white cows have black tongues, but his is pink and black spotted.
tumblr_nlolel1l4x1rdftrko7_640.jpg

tumblr_nlolgdxWq71rdftrko3_640.jpg

Also discovered something a little odd today. This baby is very friendly and came up today, but I noticed his eyes are green/grey. Doesn't appear to have any blindness at all and I have always thought his eyes were light colored, but never have seen them close up. His mother has green eyes, and the last calf she had had light eyes. I would expect since this calf is black for him to have dark eyes, though.
tumblr_nlolel1l4x1rdftrko9_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlolel1l4x1rdftrko10_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlolgdxWq71rdftrko6_640.jpg

tumblr_nlolgdxWq71rdftrko1_640.jpg

Good looking calves. Riding the 4 wheeler out in the middle of the cattle is one of my favorite things to do in the evening after a long day. Therapeutic for me, and it's a good way to look them over up close and helps gentle them up some too. Certain ones always come up and nose around seeing what they can get into.

Thank you. I agree, I love to ride out and stop and watch them. The calves like to come up and gang up around and lick the fourwheeler so I have to make sure they don't tear anything up on it. And protect my clothes! I feed the herd cubes from the fourwheeler so I can come up to them really close and check them over well. The cows that are pets always come up to check and see if I have anything to give them.

Last 2 cows calved Saturday 3/28/15
One of my 3rd calvers and a 2nd calver I gave to my grandfather. Just so happens these 2 have the same mother and calved on the same day. Also calved close together last year.
Mine is a heifer below.
tumblr_nm1n4jhG5u1rdftrko1_640.jpg

Mom during this past summer. She has 1/4 hereford and 3/4 angus I believe. Her mother is also the one that died this year because of a backwards calf.
tumblr_n8cz8jMGqR1rdftrko2_500.jpg

The calves are growing like weeds since the grass is growing! I love to see them grow.
I fed some cubes today on the fourwheeler, so I did not get any full body shots but I did get a couple mug shots. I also watched as my most dominate cow decided to chase off a 1st calver and fight a little, and suddenly one of my other grown cows came up and broke them up as if a referee.
tumblr_nmx75pUa0e1rdftrko1_640.jpg

tumblr_nmx763k7CF1rdftrko1_640.jpg

tumblr_nmx75aIc8D1rdftrko1_640.jpg

tumblr_nmx75xg4EX1rdftrko1_640.jpg

yearling heifers.
tumblr_nmx75jgB7y1rdftrko1_640.jpg

4 month old
tumblr_nmx76dSiDi1rdftrko1_640.jpg

group shots
tumblr_nmx782SkKC1rdftrko1_640.jpg

tumblr_nmx76ihB9g1rdftrko1_640.jpg

Sorry about your cow, Rosielou. We have a small bunch of British Whites, and a few high % Angus cows here. Seems we get really good grass efficiency no matter the cross with BWs. We've only bred the BW cows to something else once (still, nice calves), and our Angus X girls pump out nice calves via a BW bull.

Latest posts