Calf Came Six Weeks Early

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have the time and facility's why don't you graft a calf to her? That way she won't winter open and not carrying a calf? I've grafted a calf to every single cow that has lost a calf and have had real good luck at it, but we have a good area to lock them in and a squeese chute for the real stubborn ones. Also, I have never messed with skinning the dead calf or rubbibg afterbirth on the calf or any of that other stuff. If you make sure the calf nurses for 3 days it will start to smell like the momma and she will usually take it just fine after that. If I ever have one that won't take one she will end up at the sale barn.

sidney411":22zsifcg said:
If you have the time and facility's why don't you graft a calf to her? That way she won't winter open and not carrying a calf? I've grafted a calf to every single cow that has lost a calf and have had real good luck at it, but we have a good area to lock them in and a squeese chute for the real stubborn ones. Also, I have never messed with skinning the dead calf or rubbibg afterbirth on the calf or any of that other stuff. If you make sure the calf nurses for 3 days it will start to smell like the momma and she will usually take it just fine after that. If I ever have one that won't take one she will end up at the sale barn.

I thought about that. Drawbacks are I wouldn't be able to find one before Saturday morning at best, a total span of four days from the time she gave birth, plus if she wouldn't take it I would be stuck with a bottle calf or worse, another dead calf. Remember, she is/was a heifer, never had a calf on her. Seems like an awful lot to ask of luck to me.

Hasbeen":1tsgb0wh said:
sidney411":1tsgb0wh said:

I thought about that. Drawbacks are I wouldn't be able to find one before Saturday morning at best, a total span of four days from the time she gave birth, plus if she wouldn't take it I would be stuck with a bottle calf or worse, another dead calf. Remember, she is/was a heifer, never had a calf on her. Seems like an awful lot to ask of luck to me.

Four days isn't that long.

And I've grafted calves on 3rd lactation holstein cows that have never had a calf nurse before -- not always the easiest thing I've done, but it's possible.

I would wonder how much milk she would have if she in fact was abortin a calf 6 weeks early

dun":xcof6wnu said:
I would wonder how much milk she would have if she in fact was abortin a calf 6 weeks early

My mentors and I had a pretty good discussion about that. They said there was no way she could be that premature as big as she was bagged up. I reminded them that they were the ones who delivered the only bull to have been on the place and that was the last week in April. She does have a pretty nice bag.

milkmaid":hcp4t0ab said:
Hasbeen":hcp4t0ab said:
sidney411":hcp4t0ab said:
If you have the time and facility's why don't you graft a calf to her?

And I've grafted calves on 3rd lactation holstein cows that have never had a calf nurse before -- not always the easiest thing I've done, but it's possible.

As much as I would like to try, I only have about two hours per non-weekend day to spend with them in the daylight. Doesn't seem to me enough time to do the job properly. Certainly not enough time to bottle feed if it doesn't work.

Hasbeen":1gwhq9k3 said:
dun":1gwhq9k3 said:

My mentors and I had a pretty good discussion about that. They said there was no way she could be that premature as big as she was bagged up. I reminded them that they were the ones who delivered the only bull to have been on the place and that was the last week in April. She does have a pretty nice bag.

Hasbeen - I may have you confused, and am a bit too lazy today to do some searching.... but shortly after you purchased these ladies...didn't they get out and go traveling to a neighbor who had a bull? Could this possibly of been the one?

Michele

mitchwi":ts5g49pe said:
Hasbeen":ts5g49pe said:
dun":ts5g49pe said:

Hasbeen - I may have you confused, and am a bit too lazy today to do some searching.... but shortly after you purchased these ladies...didn't they get out and go traveling to a neighbor who had a bull? Could this possibly of been the one?

Michele

Very good memory, Michele. You're absolutely right, but that was last January 24th. She would have been 11 months pregnant from that visit.

I would venture to guess the calf was dead and that is why she went into labor. Why was it dead? Who knows? If you have vaccinated for abortion diseases like IBR & PI3 & Lepto, I wouldn't be concerned. If not ---- well, only time will tell.
You did the right thing, and even if it was alive at birth, it most likely would not have lived - most of the time the lungs are not developed enough.
I have to say, I WOULD NOT try to put a new calf on her. First you say you don't have the time - and it will take time even if it's easy. 2nd, you are risking the health of your next calf crop having a calf come onto your land from another farm. No matter how healthy it is or how great a health program the previous owner had, that calf will have "bugs" that your cows will NOT be giving immunity to her newborn. Sure you may not have any problem - but if you do - trust me, the risk is not worth it!

What ever works for you Jeanne - does NOT work for everyone. I can't afford for a cow to not raise a calf every year. It is not that much trouble to graft a calf. It should take no longer then 1 hr max in the morning and 1 hr max in the afternoon for no longer then 5-7 days max. I've grafted more calves to 1st time heifers then cows. If I buy one from the auction it gets shots when it gets home and is isolated with it's "new mother" for several weeks so they 'know' each other well before they are turned out to pasture. It there's any illness it is treated. Now if you have a closed herd it's a different story but it's no different then buying cows from the sale or any other privaty treaty deal. It only takes about 30 mins morning and evening to bottle feed a calf for +\- 8 weeks.

Hasbeen":1cje6uea said:
milkmaid":1cje6uea said:
Hasbeen":1cje6uea said:
sidney411":1cje6uea said:
If you have the time and facility's why don't you graft a calf to her?

As much as I would like to try, I only have about two hours per non-weekend day to spend with them in the daylight. Doesn't seem to me enough time to do the job properly. Certainly not enough time to bottle feed if it doesn't work.

Takes me less than 10 minutes twice a day to mix up milk replacer and bottle feed one calf. Yep, I have one right now and that's all the time it takes.

milkmaid":2bay21lj said:
Takes me less than 10 minutes twice a day to mix up milk replacer and bottle feed one calf. Yep, I have one right now and that's all the time it takes.

Good to see you back on the boards MM.

Funny thing is, it only takes about 15 minutes to do 4 of them if you have alleys and racks.

I missed my first graft. Went to the sale barn and bought a split. The split was a bit too old I guess. I rubbed a little of the placenta all over the split in the chute and turned it in with momma. Momma was ready and willing but the split would have nothing to do with it.

]

Takes me less than 10 minutes twice a day to mix up milk replacer and bottle feed one calf. Yep, I have one right now and that's all the time it takes.[/quote]

Really? I thought it was like every two hours or so. That's not bad.

Hasbeen":2pbzt0un said:
mitchwi":2pbzt0un said:
Hasbeen":2pbzt0un said:
dun":2pbzt0un said:

Michele

Very good memory, Michele. You're absolutely right, but that was last January 24th. She would have been 11 months pregnant from that visit.

Yep, that'd be a bit too long ago!! Sorry for your loss... First time or not, they are ALL hard to take... here's hoping the rest of your calving goes well!

Michele

Hasbeen":venrfbiq said:
milkmaid":venrfbiq said:

Really? I thought it was like every two hours or so. That's not bad.

No, it's not bad at-all. If a calf had to be bottle fed every two hours around the clock I assure you I wouldn't have any bottle calves. :lol: :p

Latest posts