Calculating due dates

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":2ctg9ifo said:
dun":2ctg9ifo said:
Hope on of them turns out a bull since he will be our potential new herd bull

Now that you've said this, you know what's going to happen don't you? :lol:

I know it's happened to me countless times. :lol2:

Katherine
Yeah I know. The main one I want a bull from should be calved by the morning. She was starting the fence pace right at dark.

Of the 2 born yesterday the heifer was 3 days early the bull was 7 days early

AI
Same bull...bull calf 66 lbs 12days early, heifer calf 73 lbs 3 days early
Same bull...bull calf 82 lbs 3 days early, heifer calf 73 lbs 2 days early
Live cover purchased bred, bull calf 61 lbs 15 days early ( I don't trust his record keeping)
Next go round should start roughly 20 days.
Gestation based on Cattlemax expected due dates.
Is a rule of thumb only 10% right because you've got 9 other fingers?

WalnutCrest":31i94avh said:
So, is that little guy you new herd bull prospect?
As a matter of fact he is, just hope he works out as well as the cows heifer calf from last year did

Good bunch of our AI calves are due March 3rd and they started dropping 10 days early. About 70% heifers, 100% heavy coats. Calves look right sized so far and so far no problems. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Both of the two registered angus cows that I wanted to make a home-made bull from calved on the same day ten days late this year. I was was not surprised about them going late but the white faces on the calves kind of hurt my feelings. :frowns: I'm guessing they were eleven days early...

dun":16s5ufor said:
WalnutCrest":16s5ufor said:
So, is that little guy you new herd bull prospect?
As a matter of fact he is, just hope he works out as well as the cows heifer calf from last year did

That'd be great! Good luck to you (and him).

Hopefully he gets to keep his nuts in tact.

10 days to go before my first one is due, and the cows are just starting to bag up a bit... I have to use 288 days for my due dates to get remotely close to accurate, it's very rare to have one before 280. I have a couple others that I don't know exactly when they were bred that are starting to flab and bag... the season is upon us shortly though.

cmf1, boy those guys are light too!, with my longer gestation times my average is closer to 100 lbs, and the heifers are rarely 75. Good for the younger cows for sure though and makes for more peaceful sleep!

Nesi,
I've gotten some great info and entertainment from being on the boards here. Met some really good people too. I really enjoy pics and experience from all parts of the globe on here.
To me, one of the things reinforced regularly on here (maybe not stated as such) is that GEOGRAPHY is a major determining factor in how people make or break.
It's amazing how a few hundred miles dictates different mgmt and selection. Much less a few thousand.
I myself would "have a cow" if one of mine had a 100-120 pounder. But yours do it regular and look great doing it.
In my mind, Mother Nature has laid out some ground rules that are just too expensive to fight.

Yep, what's really strange is that the average BW jumped about 15 lbs from one year to the next and never came back down, we had the same bull when the weights jumped, and our next bull didn't change anything... The feed was about the same, the weather too. Our neighbour across the river, his BW's never went up.. I went and saw him about this time last year and had to laugh at these tiny little calves he had... they looked like puppies from what I was used to... They grew well though. I think my animals would do well anywhere the grass is green. I don't know much about fescue though.. What I can say is they aren't really range cows, though it'll depend on the range too. They handle 105F without shade if they need to (but it's a dry heat). Usually my really big BW bull calves are gestated 291-293 days.

We synchronized and Ai'd 10 of our cows on 5-15-13. Six settled to AI. The first calf was born on day 268. It was a 70 pound heifer out of a first calf heifer. The last cow calved on day 288. This one was a 107 pound bull out of an 8 year old cow. Twenty days between the first and last calf conceived on the exact same day.

I had a bull calf born yesterday that was 9 days late to the AI date. He weighed 83lbs. Exactly the same as his 1/2 brother born a week ago out of the same sire.

Go figure

Latest posts