Calculating due dates

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
One cow has been bred to the same bull for her last 3 calves. Calve 1 born on due date, calf 2 born 7 days late, calf 3 (she's in early labor now) will be 5 days early. Shows how much standard due date charts are worth

suzorse":1jlbmrbs said:
a due date is an average they can go 2 weeks either side and it is normal
Suzanne
I know that, but I would expect some consistancy from the exact same matings.

When I'm incubating eggs I can manipulate the hatch by adjusting the temp of the incubator. Less than 99.5 and they hatch a day or so late. A degree warmer and many will hatch a day (sometimes two) early. Just wondering if internal/external conditions would make differences to incubation times for the cow?

slick4591":qfnn6oj6 said:
When I'm incubating eggs I can manipulate the hatch by adjusting the temp of the incubator. Less than 99.5 and they hatch a day or so late. A degree warmer and many will hatch a day (sometimes two) early. Just wondering if internal/external conditions would make differences to incubation times for the cow?
Now that's an intersting concept. This year has been the coldest winter we've had in almost 15 years. Maybe more blood is directed to the calf. But the other cows that are due sooner aren;t showing any signs at all. Vet came by sunday and looked over the girls (social) and commented that we were sure going to be busy in the next couple of days. One that looked ready a couple of days ago has her udder looking looser andbut her rear still looks like a truck could slip out at any time. This is alwasy the exciting/anxious/satisfying time of year. Cows making a liar out of you one way or another

It's pretty well understood that one calf born at the US/Canadian border will be larger than the same calf born at the US/Mexico border. I'd not be surprised to find out that ambient temperatures during the pregnancy (especially during the 3rd trimester) impact gestation length as well.

It kind of makes sense, seeing that calves born in colder months have winter coats and calves born in summer months have slick coats.......Nature knows best.

sorry Dun I was not paying attention to who started the post,
as I know you knew that info, what was the sex of the calves ? as some believe
bulls need to cook longer
Suzanne

suzorse":voqfmgie said:
Suzanne
#1 Bull, #2 Heifer, and a dandy heifer she is. But the bull wasn;t too bad either and did real well at the local fairs in the market steer shows. #3 isn;t here yet, she's still driving me nuts with the early almost getting into labor phase.

Have seen some studies done that colder weather = bigger calves.

So maybe that's why she "cooked" it a little faster this year. Good thing for her to have it a little early than hang onto it until the chart says it's time and have it be too big.

dun":2p4qacoc said:
suzorse":2p4qacoc said:
Suzanne
#1 Bull, #2 Heifer, and a dandy heifer she is. But the bull wasn;t too bad either and did real well at the local fairs in the market steer shows. #3 isn;t here yet, she's still driving me nuts with the early almost getting into labor phase.
# 4 Bull, 5 days early

see that proves what I had already figured, dose not matter the sex, when they are done they come out of the oven, I have had heifers late and bulls early , same as the poll hair myth messed hair do
heifer, smooth poll a bull , I have had smooth poll hair and got heifer calves
congrats on a healthy bull calf
Suzanne

Ours all seem to be going over some. Natural service or AI.

Got a pleasant surprise this week though. My two oldest cows valved March 31 and April 5 last year. Turned them out with my purebred GV bull and it looks like they both moved up around 5 weeks. One calved the 19th of Feb and the other one is gonna pop before the weekend.

The other nice surprise is the continuing low birth weights on the Vanguard bulls calves. The first one for me is out of the Beheomoth(1750+lbs) and he weighed 69 lbs. Can't wait to see what he throws with the cows who always have smaller calves. I believe he is going to make a real solid heifer bull, and still have plenty of growth.

My cows always cook them longer... 283 is typical for a first timer with a heifer, and it goes up from there. I found my average is 288, with some going as long as 293. I don't know what happened about 5 years ago but suddenly our Bw went up 20 lbs to 100 average using the same bull and it didn't go down on the next bull either. It didn't cause us any grief so I don't mind. Next year we'll have the limo bull who wasn't a light Bw and we'll see what comes of that.

2 bulls 5 days early and 1 bull on time, have 3 more that are late so far. Hope on of them turns out a bull since he will be our potential new herd bull

1982vett":1omvjukm said:
Dun....you know it's all about the weather.....gotta get it done in the worst possible.
That's what has been the shocker. These 3 have been born in really nice warm almost balmy weather. But it's supposed to turn to crap tomorrow but at least no snow (at least predicted). For the next week the highs are only going to be about what the lows have been for the past week.

dun":28bwaq26 said:
Hope on of them turns out a bull since he will be our potential new herd bull

Now that you've said this, you know what's going to happen don't you? :lol:

I know it's happened to me countless times. :lol2:

Katherine

Latest posts