Bull Whispers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rainplace

Reaction score
I experienced an amazing few moments yesterday...

Everyday I walk the pastures counting the cattle, checking to make sure everyone looks good, making sure the calves are growing, scrutinizing the perimeter fence and other such things that I can call "work" if I need to. I paused for a bit just looking at everyone when I heard the most beautiful whispering moo. Everything on the pasture became still and silent except this one moo. Even Eve, my sometimes overly rambunctious young dog, came to my side and sat down calmly listening.

The first moo was followed by more moos all the same tone and all like a whisper. Looking for the source, my eyes settled on Biff, our herd bull. The whispers were coming from him. Several cows moved as close as they could be without touching him and began breathing in his whispers. Still he continued. More of the cows came to him and they fanned out around him all breathing in his sounds. Then Biff became silent. The entire herd, now standing, suddenly looked confused. A calf called to its mother, cows began looking around at all the other cows and then back to Biff.

Eve and I began walking away, the herd following. It was over.

So the question is... what the heck was going on?

Thank you for your interesting post, Rainplace, and welcome to Cattle Today. Life is full of things that can't be explained, but I don't doubt that you saw and heard what you described.

I apologize for those that have greeted you with ridicule and, in effect, called you a liar. They're not usually like that.

Thanks for your concern, VanC, but I didn't take it badly. I'm a good sport.

Thank you for the welcome, I luv herfrds!

I was hoping someone else might have experienced something similar as google has turned nothing up. Biff is an old bull, 12 years, and he won't be around to see his next years progeny. It's a good image to say goodbye to him with.

If smoking stuff had made me experience things like that, I might still be smoking. /wink

Rainplace":1igneppz said:
Thanks for your concern, VanC, but I didn't take it badly. I'm a good sport.

Thank you for the welcome, I luv herfrds!

I was hoping someone else might have experienced something similar as google has turned nothing up. Biff is an old bull, 12 years, and he won't be around to see his next years progeny. It's a good image to say goodbye to him with.

If smoking stuff had made me experience things like that, I might still be smoking. /wink

Who knows. If he's that old he probably knows stuff bulls don't usually have time to learn. Like someone told me once if you get too old to amaze them with your strength and speed, then just dazzle em with bullshyt.

Biff was telling them all that if they came and stood around him he could have you stumped for awhile. It was all a big cow joke on you.
I'm only sort of kidding. Cows can obviously communicate with each other, I don't know what Biff was saying to his herd but he was saying something to tell them to come to him. It could have been a predator is near or I have something cool to show you who knows.
I know my poor bull wishes he had that power. He's less than two years old and I have him living with the cows with bull calves. He moves fields and calls for them in his bull voice, they ignore him. He calls them in a baby voice. They ignore him. He stands looking at the house screaming for us until my husband gets tired of the ruckus and moves his cows. :lol2:

Victoria":37hp41td said:
Biff was telling them all that if they came and stood around him he could have you stumped for awhile. It was all a big cow joke on you.
I'm only sort of kidding. Cows can obviously communicate with each other, I don't know what Biff was saying to his herd but he was saying something to tell them to come to him. It could have been a predator is near or I have something cool to show you who knows.
I know my poor bull wishes he had that power. He's less than two years old and I have him living with the cows with bull calves. He moves fields and calls for them in his bull voice, they ignore him. He calls them in a baby voice. They ignore him. He stands looking at the house screaming for us until my husband gets tired of the ruckus and moves his cows. :lol2:

Oh, I love your reply!

Your poor bull, I can picture his bawling and can't help but laugh at him.

One of the things I appreciate about our bull is that he doesn't allow much disorder. Some of the more cantankerous cows will try to keep some of the more lowly cows and their calves away from the manger, but Biff won't have anything to do with that. He'll start at one end of the manger and gently but assertively move the fat cows out of the way making room for the more passive ones. He'll stand there until he's sure they are eating and no one is bugging them and then move away the next couple of cows. He'll do this until he's cleared away all the aggressive eaters. Then he'll start eating.

As far as the bull whispers, I'm okay not knowing what was going on, but I'll always wonder.

Obviously he called in the cows. Question is why.
My bull has become competitive - - and will sometimes vocalize if I encroach, or move the cows away from him.
The thing that really gets him POed is if I call the herd to do a paddock shift when he is tending a hot cow.

Heck, my 3 and 7 year olds named our bulls Pierre, and Jock.(Charolais) I wanted Humper and Horn Dog, but was quickly overruled by the wife. :cowboy:

My bull was named 53 but I sold him and don't presently have a bull. Hope my next bull is as good as 53 was.

How's that song go? "Don't mess with the bull, he can get real mean, don't forget to close the gate, stay out of the beans."
My bull whines at the chute when he smells blood from dehorning, and I have run him off with spraying a water hose while I'm working in the chute, he gets on the opposite side and sniffs and snorts, then bellows. Kinda funny but I don't take chances, and I don't rub him on the head and lovey dovey him. He likes feed and endures me but no touching unless I restrain him. I'm happy with our relationship. But yeah he makes all kinds of noises when he has something on his mind. I have had him 2 years and hope for 2 more. Later, Dan.

Latest posts