Bull vs. Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

soonerfan

Reaction score
I am borrowing a bull from my brother and want to put him in with my cows and Bull. I know they will not get along very well at first. This is my question. Will they fuss and fight for a while then decide who is Boss or will it be a constant battle? Also how long will the go at it? Should I put them both in the pipe corral so they won't be pushing each other thru the fences? I would appreciate any and all help.

Why are you running 2 bulls? Do you have enough cows to warrent the hassle of both bulls? Is there any way you can split your herd...divide them into two pastures, run a bull in each then??

It depends on their size. If one is a lot bigger he will whip the other fairly quickly and the other will not mess with him. If they are a close match they will constantly challenge each other - through fences, barn walls, etc... Why risk getting one of them hurt.?

I don't know worse fighting bull I ever saw was a little knotty Brangus did't matter the size he came to fight. Might get whipped today be back tomorrow.

no reason to run more than one unless you have enough cows on the place that one cant cover all of them. then it makes sense. they will fight if its a halfway even match buts its not the end of the world and they will sort things out. often within the first hour usually within a day or so and sometimes it will take a little longer if the looser is hard headed. but i f you dont have enough cows on the place to justify two bulls you are asking for extra trouble and wasting grass.

Some friends with a commercial herd have two Herf bulls, one that we raised and one that was a former herd bull for us. One is five and the other is three years old. They penned them together for the winter. The polled three year old would come swaggering up to challenge the horned five year old, who just stood waiting for the most part. They would spar mildly, then walk to the hay bale to eat side by side. I don't know what it was like when they first turned them in together. The horned bull does outweigh the polled by a few hundred pounds in my estimation.

We have 2 bulls together, a Simmi yearling and a black Angus yearling. They are the same size, and, for now, of the same temperament. Our 50 cows may be a few too many for the youngsters but they appear to be doing just fine, and I have never seen them fight yet.

Rafter E":1bohwkel said:
We have 2 bulls together, a Simmi yearling and a black Angus yearling. They are the same size, and, for now, of the same temperament. Our 50 cows may be a few too many for the youngsters but they appear to be doing just fine, and I have never seen them fight yet.

Usually if bulls are raised together they get along ok. My Angus would rather fight my Hereford bull than eat and the Hereford will whip him while continuing to eat. The Hereford does have at least 500# on the Angus though. Have to keep them apart....

It really just depends on size, age and breeds of bulls. Some will fight and raise hell constantly and some will get along well. Usually, if they are raised together they do fine, if they are strangers they will have to work out their differences.

Almost anytime I've seen two bulls in a pen with a bunch of cows, they fight every day and size doesn't seem to matter much. If there's no cows around they seem to get along better. My heifer bull was probably around 1200 lbs last year. The other bull in the pen was well over 2500 lbs and yet everyday the little bull would go head to head with the big one. He's now out with my brother's Tarentaise bull and same thing. My brother had two tarentaise bulls a few years ago and they spent so much time fighting he ended up with a real long calving season. I would recommend going with one bull if you can. Bulls also have a habit of winding right up and broadsiding another bull when they are mounting a cow and you can end up with broken legs and broken unos. Not worth the risk. JMHO.

Currently running seven bulls in with the pairs. Yes, have a few broken wires that needed fixing whilst the pecking order was decided, but after a couple of days you'd never even know that there had been any scrapping between the bulls. If a bull that's low on the totem pole is following a cow around that's cycling and a bull that's higher ranking in the hierarchy comes along, the 'lowbull' just wanders off to a respectfull distance (unless he gets a chance to mount the cow while the other bulls are busy courting elsewhere, that is).

Mind you, this is in a forty acre area, and not a pen. Can't say what would be your best bet; it's just what's working up here.

Take care.

I put the new bull in yesterday. He is about 500lbs bigger than my bull. They pushed each other around for about 30 min before they settled down. I appreciate the comments.

CattleAnnie":1qc33mqf said:
Currently running seven bulls in with the pairs. Yes, have a few broken wires that needed fixing whilst the pecking order was decided, but after a couple of days you'd never even know that there had been any scrapping between the bulls. If a bull that's low on the totem pole is following a cow around that's cycling and a bull that's higher ranking in the hierarchy comes along, the 'lowbull' just wanders off to a respectfull distance (unless he gets a chance to mount the cow while the other bulls are busy courting elsewhere, that is).

Mind you, this is in a forty acre area, and not a pen. Can't say what would be your best bet; it's just what's working up here.

Take care.

Just wondering how can you have enough cows to require seven bulls in a 40 acre pasture?

soonerfan":1f7yaaae said:
I put the new bull in yesterday. He is about 500lbs bigger than my bull. They pushed each other around for about 30 min before they settled down. I appreciate the comments.

What kind of bulls?

If you care anything about the stifle joints , hocks, and penises on your bulls run them one at a time. Lots of good bulls have to be put down every year for that reason. My best friend was running two bulls on about fifty cows in a pasture and one broke the others back cannon bone. 3500 dollar bull. Even if they're cheap bulls and you don't care a thing about them you surely do want fences .

It has been my experience that there is not much fighting between Brahman and Hereford bulls, in fact none. Don't know how Gelbvieh would behave but Brahmans have different fighting and signaling styles and I think that has a lot to do with the lack of fighting.

Sooner fan, The fighting ain't over just yet. Let a cow come in heat and the little bull will challenge the bigger one again.

Latest posts