Bull test

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We took 6 bulls this morning to the bull test in Spring Hill Tn. at the place run by University of Tennessee. If I remember correctly the man I help said they stay there 120 days and get fed out and then they will have a bull sale in Januaury. He said sometimes you do well on the sale and sometimes not.

[/img]

GMN":1l52g2ex said:
What is a bull test?

GMN

Well I thought that was what he called it. When we checked the bulls in they measured height, weighed them, measured scrtoums, checked temp, gave at least two or three shots that I saw and dewormed them. There were 3 Vets present doing all of this.

These are registered Black Angus cattle

tncattle":shm2rp6f said:
GMN":shm2rp6f said:
What is a bull test?

GMN

Well I thought that was what he called it. When we checked the bulls in they measured height, weighed them, measured scrtoums, checked temp, gave at least two or three shots that I saw and dewormed them. There were 3 Vets present doing all of this.

So you were just taking them in for exams? Do they keep them there, and sell them for you, or did I miss something?

GMN

GMN":2d63gl8z said:
tncattle":2d63gl8z said:
GMN":2d63gl8z said:
What is a bull test?

GMN

So you were just taking them in for exams? Do they keep them there, and sell them for you, or did I miss something?

We took 6 and they (University of Tennessee) took 120 total. Yes they keep them there and after they feed them out for 120 days they have an auction. The biggest bull there which was born Sept. 18 06 was 1065 pds. They obviously have been fed some high performance feed besides grass.

GMN

We took 6 and they (University of Tennessee) took 120 total. Yes they keep them there and after they feed them out for 120 days they have an auction. The biggest bull there which was born Sept. 18 06 was 1065 pds. They obviously have been fed some high performance feed besides grass

A bull test is what we do at the river before we let any of them Texas bulls into the great stae of Oklahoma. we wouldnt want them lowering the IQ of upir own native herd. I heard them Texican bulls cant even read and write very well.

Seriously, A bull test is when bulls from various producers and or breeds are provided the same environment and nutrition while they are measured for performance. The same goes for steers, heifers, etc.

3MR":2kdvmudn said:
A bull test is what we do at the river before we let any of them Texas bulls into the great stae of Oklahoma. we wouldnt want them lowering the IQ of upir own native herd. I heard them Texican bulls cant even read and write very well.

Seriously, A bull test is when bulls from various producers and or breeds are provided the same environment and nutrition while they are measured for performance. The same goes for steers, heifers, etc.

That is exactly what this was, I am still new and learning and couldn't explain it very well.

3MR":1mmnwbrw said:

Well, them bulls he's talkin' bout ain't gonna get too smart going to the University of Tennessee. :roll:

tncattle":2aeasoqe said:
3MR":2aeasoqe said:

That is exactly what this was, I am still new and learning and couldn't explain it very well.

So you guys give them Texas bulls an IQ test before you let them in as well. :lol:

MikeC":2cgl3kft said:
3MR":2cgl3kft said:

Well, them bulls he's talkin' bout ain't gonna get too smart going to the University of Tennessee. :roll:
uh oh you just had to go there did'nt you. could'nt just let it ride :cboy:

MikeC":wxbkaohs said:
3MR":wxbkaohs said:

MikeC you would love this place, all the rails are painted Big Orange and the walls also. :D They tried this at the university of bammer but the bulls tested higher on the IQ test than the professors so they stopped doing it.

Its not that them Texican bulls are really really really stupid. Its just that they dont understand English so good. Maybe its caused by homeschooling, I just dont know. I think with a little extra special education help they might be able to get completely through 2nd grade.

tncattle":1eoo9zwd said:
We took 6 bulls this morning to the bull test in Spring Hill Tn. at the place run by University of Tennessee. If I remember correctly the man I help said they stay there 120 days and get fed out and then they will have a bull sale in Januaury. He said sometimes you do well on the sale and sometimes not.

[/img]

We've been performance testing Angus bulls for a long time. At our test/sale, only the top 70% qualify for the sale. It's a learning experience, but it gives the smaller breeder an opportunity to have his bulls compared to larger, better known operations. Good luck with them.

tncattle":2m85u44h said:
MikeC":2m85u44h said:
3MR":2m85u44h said:

MikeC you would love this place, all the rails are painted Big Orange and the walls also. :D They tried this at the university of bammer but the bulls tested higher on the IQ test than the professors so they stopped doing it.

Wrong. The Bull tests are held at Auburn. :lol:

You are probably correct on the Bammer Profs IQ though.

War Eagle!

3MR":2865xo7c said:

Isn't this really all about genetics?

GMN

GMN":3ghp8inq said:
Isn't this really all about genetics?

GMN
Mostly it is. But the genetics that would be demonstrated are kind of variable. Identical matings from year to year or even flushes can have a big difference in growth, finishing and feed conversion and general carcass traits. Theoretically a bull that does better on test should sire calves that will have these traits to a greater degree then calves sired by a bull that doesn;t do as well.

cowboyup216":1jqgph70 said:
ITs more than likely 110 days. They measure pounds per day gained, ribeye area, scrotal circumference, etc.

Cowboy, do you have any there? A big tractor & trailor came from East Tennessee with a big load of bulls because of the distance. The cattleman I was with said 120 days.

I call them "Eating Contests".

Don't do much good unless you are measuring "Feed Efficiency".

Latest posts