Bull starting to challenge me.

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle":393gi8a7 said:
I can't seem to understand why some of you think a stick is going to protect you from a 2200 Lb animal. you aren't doing much hitting a bull in the head except for be nice him off a little more
We have to use sticks because we don't all know that bad-ass kung-fu crap like you do. ;-)

Texan":189ngffx said:
plbcattle":189ngffx said:
I can't seem to understand why some of you think a stick is going to protect you from a 2200 Lb animal. you aren't doing much hitting a bull in the head except for be nice him off a little more
We have to use sticks because we don't all know that bad-ass kung-fu crap like you do. ;-)

The stick is only an extension of your body to give you more comfort room. I carry a lunge whip in the back of the mule, and can pop it pretty quick. Anyone who thinks they are going to stop a 2200 lb animal with a stick, or anything short of caustic's 45-70, is fooling themselves. The stick, whip, etc. is only to remind the bull that you are boss. Once the bull realizes that he is the boss, then the trouble begins.

Texan":1533j79o said:
plbcattle":1533j79o said:

:D :D :D

plbcattle":2hgwzump said:
I don't think he is acting strange. you took his fun away. I always put a couple of cows with my herd bulls when I pen them up. That way it's something to keep his mind off breaking down everything to get back with his girls. I can't seem to understand why some of you think a stick is going to protect you from a 2200 Lb animal. you aren't doing much hitting a bull in the head except for be nice him off a little more

Doubt a stick is going to help on charging bull or if he is mad, but it is a good training process to keep him in submission. If you keep him submissive, might be less chance he will try to challenge you. Aluminium softball bat works good here.

Now I am not going to fight every time I walk in the pasture or be looking over my shoulder. With an axe handle I can make one get on there tip toes and look for a rat hole to hide in or kill him. Apply axe to the burr of the ear he is going down .
Now a mean cow is much scarier than a mean bull she is faster has better reflexs and will hurt you in a heartbeat. The bull will get you hurt because you can't take your eyes off one like him.

Caustic Burno":3pyg0f8c said:
Now I am not going to fight every time I walk in the pasture or be looking over my shoulder. With an axe handle I can make one get on there tip toes and look for a rat hole to hide in or kill him. Apply axe to the burr of the ear he is going down .
Now a mean cow is much scarier than a mean bull she is faster has better reflexs and will hurt you in a heartbeat. The bull will get you hurt because you can't take your eyes off one like him.

Caustic with a few years training at the local dojo you should be able to leave the axe handle in the truck :D

Just an update, the bull has seemed to settle back down in the last couple of days. He's not hanging out at the feed bin any more, back out on his pasture. When he is at the feed bin he seems back to normal. I have always and will always keep an eye on the bull when I'm in the pasture with him.

Caustic, his lines are Big T curious George, Wrangler 832W, Sabre A82. His sire is NJW 37F Highwood 53H who sired a bull name Kreedance 200? Reserve national Champ. Which doesn't mean anything for my bull.

Alan

Caustic Burno":b8sbe2rd said:
bward":b8sbe2rd said:
Its insane to be tolerant of a nasty tempered bull..ship, ship ship.

The big quetion is why do you want to retain any of those genetics in your herd, temperment is a big culling factor here.
this coming from a man thats raising tigers :cboy: surely you let a little ignorant slide from a good producer and milker he!! ive dealt with these fireballs so long i guess i woud'nt know a gentle cow if she bit me on the a$$.

texan, I have to much respect for martial arts and my cattle to use it on them. It is only to be used on people who make smart-ass remarks just to try to get at someone.

I'll tell both of you (plbcattle and texan) one thing - if you don't quit that arguing I'm gonna put both of you in the squeeze chute and you'll come out singing a couple of octaves higher than when you went in.

Now now guys.. acting like a couple of BULL Sh------ :)
So, lets get on with the discussion.
Bulls normally act agressive when penned up from their girls.. I have a 4 yr old black Limo and hes paws the ground, lowers his head, but has never charged me when penned. Out in the pasture with the "girls", hes fine, I can damn near pet him.

ALACOWMAN":12c12gyc said:
Caustic Burno":12c12gyc said:
bward":12c12gyc said:
Its insane to be tolerant of a nasty tempered bull..ship, ship ship.

The big quetion is why do you want to retain any of those genetics in your herd, temperment is a big culling factor here.
this coming from a man thats raising tigers :cboy: surely you let a little ignorant slide from a good producer and milker he!! ive dealt with these fireballs so long i guess i woud'nt know a gentle cow if she bit me on the a$$.

My Tigers have been culled hard, to old and have lost a couple of steps, these new models seem faster than the old models.

Good topic and discussion folks...we're looking for a new bull but haven't decided yet. Have a friend who has some nice yearling Lims available but worry about monster calves and the disposition...will but a couple of heifers from her. Would like to rebreed the lims to a Lim bull.
A good reminder on disposition.
DMc

Good topic and discussion folks...we're looking for a new bull but haven't decided yet. Have a friend who has some nice yearling Lims available but worry about monster calves and the disposition...will but a couple of heifers from her. Would like to rebreed the lims to a Lim bull.
A good reminder on disposition.
DMc

Don't Lim's have a docility EPD? Temperament is a highly inheritable trait , so says a guy we show chickens with, a retired geneticist.

FWIW,
Susie

Alan":g0v32f99 said:
I seperated my bull from the cows about 2 weeks ago and now, for really the first time he is starting to challange me when I go to feed him. I don't have to go in the pen with him so he is doing this from the other side of the fence and feed manger. I have a covered 30' loafing shed I built off the back of my cow barn. I built a 30' feed manger between the barn wall and the cattle pen. I'm telling you this because up to the time I pulled the cows out, when I was feeding I had to push the bulls head out of the way or tap him on the head to get him to back up so I could get through, never a sign of aggression, until now.

He is a reg. Polled Hereford, 4yrs old. My question is, is he getting agressive because I pulled the cows, he has not done this in the past, or because he is getting older? He has never been treated like a pet, although he was halter broke when I bought him as a yearling, but since I have never really touched him.

He will cover the herd starting in June and I'll ship him late Aug. or first of Sept. This has been my plan all along and is still my plan, he does still respect the axe handle, he just starting to challange me and I only need to move him twice more including the time I ship him.

Thanks,
Alan

Any time you move the bulls in from my experience since I am the chore man, they are always pissed at me, pissed at the world. You try living with 30 women of your own, being able to go anywhere you want then be put in solitary confinement with no women. I know Id be mad as hell. Just be nice with him I suppose we got one bull who even after a few months of me being nice to him, shoot he still will try to kick me out. Its still hard for me to get him out of his pen in the barn I just use cubes and lock him out. Point is give him some time, some bulls adjust some dont, good luck.

Latest posts