Bull starting to challenge me.

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I seperated my bull from the cows about 2 weeks ago and now, for really the first time he is starting to challange me when I go to feed him. I don't have to go in the pen with him so he is doing this from the other side of the fence and feed manger. I have a covered 30' loafing shed I built off the back of my cow barn. I built a 30' feed manger between the barn wall and the cattle pen. I'm telling you this because up to the time I pulled the cows out, when I was feeding I had to push the bulls head out of the way or tap him on the head to get him to back up so I could get through, never a sign of aggression, until now.

He is a reg. Polled Hereford, 4yrs old. My question is, is he getting agressive because I pulled the cows, he has not done this in the past, or because he is getting older? He has never been treated like a pet, although he was halter broke when I bought him as a yearling, but since I have never really touched him.

He will cover the herd starting in June and I'll ship him late Aug. or first of Sept. This has been my plan all along and is still my plan, he does still respect the axe handle, he just starting to challange me and I only need to move him twice more including the time I ship him.

Thanks,
Alan

I probably wouldn't keep him that long. I had a polled hereford that was doing real good for awhile, too and then he just started getting aggressive. Put a couple of really big dents in my truck before the end of the summer. Not to mention that if you ever have to try and treat anything out in the pasture or bring it up to the yard to treat it, he could be a real pain in the butt.

Don't know that much about Herefords; however, my guess is that he is P----d because you took his girls away. As you know, bulls "need" to be around some females whether they are in heat or not.

As far as a 4 yr old bull is concerned, why are you getting rid of him? If he is doing is job and producing quality calves, I'd keep him. Our bulls are in their "prime" at that age and we have two top bulls that are in the 6 to 8 yr old range.

doing some heavy duty thinking here.but 1st ive some questions for you.you say he challenges you.how does he do that.balwing shaking head running at you pawing the ground what.i dont blame you for being nervious around him.mt bull bellows loud as im feeding him an callling him to the trough.that dont mean that he is mean.

Running Arrow Bill":2h5jdzi8 said:
Don't know that much about Herefords; however, my guess is that he is P----d because you took his girls away. As you know, bulls "need" to be around some females whether they are in heat or not.

As far as a 4 yr old bull is concerned, why are you getting rid of him? If he is doing is job and producing quality calves, I'd keep him. Our bulls are in their "prime" at that age and we have two top bulls that are in the 6 to 8 yr old range.

I have a small herd and getting too many of his daughters that will need bred. I go to A.I. for a better gene pool.
Alan

If he is starting to challenge you I would be VERY cautious around him. A big bull can do a tremendous amount of damage, and if he wants to get you, a fence will NOT stop him. It is a long time yet till June, and I don't know if it is worth the risk to keep him. I realize it is an expense to have to replace him rather than use him another season, but if he hurts or kills you you are far worse off. If you are starting to question him now, then you have a problem that is only going to get worse. If he was mine, and was bad enough that I felt it was unsafe for me to be in the same pen as him, I would send him down the road as soon as possible. One thing is for certain he is NOT going to get easier to handle!! Whatever you do, don't ever turn your back on him.

It is possible, that he is upset about being separated from the cows, but even so, I would probably not keep him around. He is obviously thinking he is the "Bigger" bull in the pen right now and the next step would to be to challenge you even when he was out with the cows.

bigbull338":3phkmbax said:
doing some heavy duty thinking here.but 1st ive some questions for you.you say he challenges you.how does he do that.balwing shaking head running at you pawing the ground what.i dont blame you for being nervious around him.mt bull bellows loud as im feeding him an callling him to the trough.that dont mean that he is mean.

That's a good point, he is not pawing the ground. As I walk up to the pen he lowers his head, cocks it to one side a little and starts to blow out his nose. Just as the boss cow does when I turn a new cow in with the herd just before the pecking order fight starts.

Alan

if i sold a bull every time they acted like that i wouldnt have a calf on the place. hes no dought built up a lot of energy and testosterone, from being seperated . you got too show him who's boss pronto before he decides too show you himself this aint no time for good behavior make sure the neighbors aint looking ;-)

either way watch the bull.from what you say sounds like he is just being a bull.but no 1 can be sure what a bull is thinking and or doing.

Something new for me that I learned this last year is to use a hog prod on the end of his nose. When he needs to learn a lesson on whose boss! Worked well for that guy. After a couple shocks his bull now walks away when he comes close.

Alan":3dd8vg0t said:
I seperated my bull from the cows about 2 weeks ago and now, for really the first time he is starting to challange me when I go to feed him. I don't have to go in the pen with him so he is doing this from the other side of the fence and feed manger. I have a covered 30' loafing shed I built off the back of my cow barn. I built a 30' feed manger between the barn wall and the cattle pen. I'm telling you this because up to the time I pulled the cows out, when I was feeding I had to push the bulls head out of the way or tap him on the head to get him to back up so I could get through, never a sign of aggression, until now.

He is a reg. Polled Hereford, 4yrs old. My question is, is he getting agressive because I pulled the cows, he has not done this in the past, or because he is getting older? He has never been treated like a pet, although he was halter broke when I bought him as a yearling, but since I have never really touched him.

He will cover the herd starting in June and I'll ship him late Aug. or first of Sept. This has been my plan all along and is still my plan, he does still respect the axe handle, he just starting to challange me and I only need to move him twice more including the time I ship him.

Thanks,
Alan

Send him packing he will do nothing but get worse if a bull is going to show his butt it will be at 4 or 5 years old,

I've got a young angus bull in the pen right now that started acting in a similar fashion. A 6' rattan cane brought down on his head sends him packing. I don't go into the pen without a stick and I only feed him across the pipe chute. He will keep his distance while I pour out feed but he will pace and snort a little. It seems that feeding is what sets him off. I think that once he's out in the pasture with lots of ladies he'll calm down. If not then he's outta here.

Ryder":27765f3z said:
Just curious to know if any of you have ever shot a bull or cow with tear gas?

For that matter pepper spray of bear spray?

Don't know if I would I think an axe handle works okay for me or a pitch fork.

Alan

Not a bull but one heck of a big bear! He did not like it much and it made him madder. The only good that came out of it was that it blinded him long enough to give the hounds a fighting chance.

A few good solid downward slaps on the ear with a good cattle stick will usually straighten 'em right out.

Turning sideways with the nose to the ground is a natural instinct.

Alan":32stzfle said:

Thanks,
Alan

Alan - I read your post and stopped.

You KNOW what to do. You just need to have someone tell you.

Shoot him or ship him.

Period.

Go do a search on the words "bull tried to take me" and author "Bez!".

I wrote that little piece and it happened a long time ago - but it will never happen again.

Look it up.

Bez!

Alan - It sounds to me like natural behavior - he's hemmed up and feelin the need to stretch his legs a little. If you don't have to work in the pasture where he'll be this summer, I wouldn't worry about him. I've seen a lot of bulls that you could walk right up to in the pasture and never have a bit of trouble out of and then you get 'em penned up or separated from the ladies and they went all hog wild.

Latest posts