Bull starting to challenge me.

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":32o53y8n said:
A few good solid downward slaps on the ear with a good cattle stick will usually straighten 'em right out.

Turning sideways with the nose to the ground is a natural instinct.

Yes indeed it is natural behaviour. I have seen bulls and cows do it, although it is usually the bulls that do it. They blow themselves up with air drop their head and then turn sideways to the other bull who they are challenging. They are basically saying LOOK HOW BIG I AM, YOU DON'T WANNA MESS WITH ME!!! Then, if the other guy doesn't back down, the fight begins, so sure its natural, but I sure don't think he needs to be acting that way to a human. It is your choice, but this is only the beginning.

No offense to you Alan - but you are a hobbyist with a small holding. You keep this guy you are looking for trouble.

Bez!

S.R.R.":3piaipv4 said:
Not a bull but one heck of a big bear! He did not like it much and it made him madder. The only good that came out of it was that it blinded him long enough to give the hounds a fighting chance.
I have seen that tear gas for bears advertised with a money back guarantee. If the bear eats you up, just return the unused portion of the product for a full refund. They claim that none has ever been returned. ;-)

I agree with Mikec, just normal behavior. But if it ain't, does that mean I can't pet ol' Maude anymore?

Ryder":3mx8svyw said:
S.R.R.":3mx8svyw said:
Not a bull but one heck of a big bear! He did not like it much and it made him madder. The only good that came out of it was that it blinded him long enough to give the hounds a fighting chance.
I have seen that tear gas for bears advertised with a money back guarantee. If the bear eats you up, just return the unused portion of the product for a full refund. They claim that none has ever been returned. ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

S.R.R.":fhxonirq said:

Is it true that you can identify bear scat because it smells like pepper spray and has those little bells in it that people wear to announce their presence? Sorry....I'll go stand in the corner now.

Bret":2o86bqh9 said:
S.R.R.":2o86bqh9 said:

Is it true that you can identify bear scat because it smells like pepper spray and has those little bells in it that people wear to announce their presence? Sorry....I'll go stand in the corner now.

Good one :lol: Believe it or not have hunted and killed the same bear that ate a Char calf known only by the white hair in its scat.

The first time he done that i'd be extra carefull around him and the second time i would be hooking up the trailer.

Cal

If he's really making you nervous/uncomfortable ship him now.

If you can put up with a little of this, carry a hickory stick. If he gets any more aggressive, ship him.

Sorry Alan, not saying that your bull is a butthead, but if he's feeling sassy now, just wait until the sap starts rising in the trees.

I repair more fences from bulls fighting during the spring, even though they winter together in the same pen, than all the rest of the year. And they're not with the cows, just full of pee & vinegar.

Just keep your head up and your eyes wide open around that fellow.

Take care and be safe.

Bulls can often get a little grumpy when you take away their cows, especially if they don't have a friend to live with. We had a bull like that and he was all show - a good yell and threat with a post would send him on his way. If he doesn't back down from you though then you should get rid of him.

If staying safe means you have to get rid of the bull and AI one year earlier then do it. Saving a bit of money and hassle isn't worth being dead or worse. Bulls are bigger than people and when they figure that out there's always trouble.

SPRINGER FARMS - I have said in the past you were a relentless marketer! :lol:

But they are a darned good cross.

Bez!

Alan":189aue6e said:
Running Arrow Bill":189aue6e said:
Don't know that much about Herefords; however, my guess is that he is P----d because you took his girls away. As you know, bulls "need" to be around some females whether they are in heat or not.

As far as a 4 yr old bull is concerned, why are you getting rid of him? If he is doing is job and producing quality calves, I'd keep him. Our bulls are in their "prime" at that age and we have two top bulls that are in the 6 to 8 yr old range.

I have a small herd and getting too many of his daughters that will need bred. I go to A.I. for a better gene pool.
Alan

If thats the case, ship him now. Why wait?

I don't think he is acting strange. you took his fun away. I always put a couple of cows with my herd bulls when I pen them up. That way it's something to keep his mind off breaking down everything to get back with his girls. I can't seem to understand why some of you think a stick is going to protect you from a 2200 Lb animal. you aren't doing much hitting a bull in the head except for pissing him off a little more

Latest posts