Bull question

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
I have 5 Texas Longhorn cows, with a two and a half year old bull. They have been together for 12 months, but the bull has not shown an interest in any of the cows that I have seen. Granted I only see them on weekends, or early in the morning so I may be "missing" something. How common is an unfertile bull, or an a-sexual bull? Being new at this I am not sure I would recognize a pregnant cow for sure, but none of them appear to have gained any weight. Any suggestions?

The first 2 tings that come to mind is have the cows preg checked and a BSE done on the bull. If the cows aren;t bred a repro tract scoring would be in order.

The fact you don't see him working means nothing. The fact you have no calves for the year means something.

Is there something wrong with 5 cows or something wrong with one bull.

Definitely, get that bull checked. My 15 month old will mount anything that doesn't get out of his way fast enough (including my red angus bull). I thought all longhorns matured faster than other cattle, maybe mine just wants to be like the "big" boys.

No, he is a bull, not a steer... I really do not think I have a problem with the 5 cows. Two of the cows had calves the week prior to me taking posession of them.

I would be willing to bet your bull is either gay or sterile. The odds that 5 cows would all come open are very, very small.

jwggriff":eiesoufk said:
No, he is a bull, not a steer... I really do not think I have a problem with the 5 cows. Two of the cows had calves the week prior to me taking posession of them.

How long have the others been since their last calves? nothing wrong with a 12 month calving interval (12 months in between calves -- the two you mentioned have only just reached that).

Are the previous year's calves still nursing, or did you wean them?

Only saw our bull cover two cows last year and, wouldn't you know it, all of them settled.
Seeing that a cow is only in standing heat for a few hours I would bet that the bull works the night shift.
DMc

Can't offer anything usefull about the bull but as another newbie I can say for sure that it can be difficult to tell if a cow is bred right up to the day she calves.
I bought a bred red angus, knew the exact day she was AI'd Had a vet say she was bred 10+ weeks later. Posted several queries on this board because she didn't look any different than she always had.
She came home one sunny morning with a beautiful little calf. Didn't look any different than she did before she calved........

Jon

Re: weaning......no I didn't wean them, and they are still running with the cows. They were both born in Jan. 07. I have not seen them nursing the cows, but they could be.
Being new at this I'm not sure how to wean them...I do have a separate pasture I could keep them in, but how long do they need to be separated?
I appreciate all the insight yall are giving....thanks!

A good cow will self-wean at the right time, but we have not been selecting for that trait much and in fact have probably inadvertently selected against it.

Other options are weaning rings placed in the calves nostrils that irritate the cow to keep the calf from nursing. They are available by mail-order - I know Jeffer's sells them - and they are reusable.

In any type of weaning (except when the cow self-weans) you do need to be the observant caretaker and make sure they don't return to old habits if and when you reunite them.

Hippie Rancher":56zfk86o said:
A good cow will self-wean at the right time, but we have not been selecting for that trait much and in fact have probably inadvertently selected against it.

How many days do your good cows normally wean at?

You got many self weaners in the 5 month range? :lol: :lol:

We just had this problem with one of our 2 1/2 yr old. He took a ride last weekend. He had a low count.
It's easier to go have him checked. Then if there is a problem palpate the cows. Atleast you know where you stand with them.

If you only have the five cows, I would get a vet to palpate the cows. Then you'll know for sure if he's doing his job.

Wean the calves! You don't need the cows having new calves before last years were weaned. Put them in the separate pasture. I would suggest separating for at least 60 days, but that's my opinion.

ALX.":75fxz3b8 said:
Hippie Rancher":75fxz3b8 said:

How many days do your good cows normally wean at?

You got many self weaners in the 5 month range? :lol: :lol:

Eh I don't have many at all - or wouldn't know as we mostly ship right off the cows. I think it could be done, though. Might need to give them a few more months though.

Latest posts