Bull price curve

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
What is the typical price curve of a bull as he ages . Lets say he brought 2000 at a auction when he was 18 months old. Does he get more valuable at two, three, five? When should his price decline? I am talking about rule of thumb.

I would say that would depend on how his calves do and the amount of publicity he, or his sire gets.

On and ordinary herd sire you would expect the price to go down after he is about 3 or so.

But a previously "shown" bull with good numbers might increase in value, especially if his progeny are outstanding.

I don't think there really is a scale for this. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear. Tell us about you specific situation and maybe we can give a more concise answer.

Just my $.02

I guess I am just wanting to know what I can expect to get for my registered angus bulls when I decide to sell them in two or thee years. I am using them to bread commercial cows.
Do most people sell there old bulls as slaghter bulls or are there buyers who will by a 5 or 6 year old bull?

there are people who will buy a 6 year old bull to use on their cows... not likely your gunna find one but it's always worth a shot before you take them to the barn.

when they get to be 4 or 5 you get almost as much for them for slaughter as you can buy another for & progress has improved the youger ones more. supposedly!

Another 2 cents worth...lol.

Longhorn bulls are just "coming into good age" at 5 or 6 years old. Some are still doing very well into their mid and late teens. Same way with the Longhorn cows. If a bull has good genetics, temperament, conformation, is registered, and producing quality calves out of a variety of cows, then why trash him if he is doing well just because he is getting a little older?

Every bull should be evaluated (for service longevity) based on what he can do. Our decision points are (1) at weaning and (2) following a semen test at 13 to 14 months. If both are "good", he is a keeper (based on a numer of evaluation factors) for either a Longhorn sire or for a commercial cross-breed sire. On the flip side, if a bull doesn't pass the test for (1) and (2) above, then he is either sale barn or freezer beef.

Running Arrow Bill":32gfu7nt said:

Longhorn bulls are just "coming into good age" at 5 or 6 years old. Some are still doing very well into their mid and late teens. Same way with the Longhorn cows. If a bull has good genetics, temperament, conformation, is registered, and producing quality calves out of a variety of cows, then why trash him if he is doing well just because he is getting a little older?

Every bull should be evaluated (for service longevity) based on what he can do. Our decision points are (1) at weaning and (2) following a semen test at 13 to 14 months. If both are "good", he is a keeper (based on a numer of evaluation factors) for either a Longhorn sire or for a commercial cross-breed sire. On the flip side, if a bull doesn't pass the test for (1) and (2) above, then he is either sale barn or freezer beef.

In beef and dairy producing herds, if heifers are being retained, bulls are usually replaced every 2-3 years to lower the possible incidence of inbreeding.

dun

I know of a number of Hereford bulls that are still going at ten to fourteen years old, my favorite was put down at 15. If you are interested in longevity, and I am, a bull that is still sound at that age bodes well for his offspring's longevity as well. If you buy a young bull at the beginning price range, you will probably get your money back on the market when he is mature. I sold an 8 year old bull weighing 1905# for $1165 last year. He weighed substantially more than that when he was fleshed out more.

We just sold a very good Angus bull to a friend. We paid $3000 used him for two seasons, had great calves and the friend had seen all the calves. I sold the bull for $2000, a good deal for both of us, I think?

Billy :cboy:

MrBilly":11dpkc3f said:
We just sold a very good Angus bull to a friend. We paid $3000 used him for two seasons, had great calves and the friend had seen all the calves. I sold the bull for $2000, a good deal for both of us, I think?

Billy :cboy:

Guess the "good deal" depends on how many heifers/cows he successfully bred and what the calves looked like to take the $1000. "discount" on re-selling him.

dun":14bk4dlv said:
Running Arrow Bill":14bk4dlv said:

In beef and dairy producing herds, if heifers are being retained, bulls are usually replaced every 2-3 years to lower the possible incidence of inbreeding.

dun

Agree Dun! We avoid that problem by keeping close track (selective breeding) of which female our bulls are bred to. We maintain 3 levels of bulls: Up & coming future sire; New sire for this year; Mature sire. Sires we don't want to keep are sold for cross-breeding to commercial herd; sold to another Longhorn breeder; or, used for lease out for cross-breeding. This, along with adding new heifers and cows (from new purchases) to our breeding stock we can continually upgrade our herd, which allows us to still use our best bulls to avoid any close line-breeding.

Personally, I prefer an "older" (3+ years) bull mostly because I can see his progeny, and he's generally more laid back at that age.. unlike a rambunctious yearling.

I would think he would start declining in price after 5 or 6, simply because he runs more risk of injury as he gets older.

The last Brahman herd bull I had we kept until he was 14 years old.

I think many producers avoid older bulls because of a greater risk of sexually transmitted diseases.

Chuckie":1cucd0ox said:
When purchasing an older bull, is there not something you can give him to get rid of the sexually transmitted disease?

test for them is about it.... then slaughter

Latest posts