bull hire

Help Support CattleToday:

the thing is i only have a 7 female herefords as i am just starting out. i beleive he has now serviced all of them some time ago. he tends to go round sniffing them looking to mate but has no luck. i almost feel sorry for him and woundered if this would be a good chance to get him some experience as he is only 2.
could anyone give a ball park fig as to what i could charge

how do you know the person? like some one has stated it can open up your herd to unwanted surprises.
i have loaned and rented my bull to neighbors that i know have healthy cattle, and take care of their animals. it can be good for people who only have a few cattle and don't need a bull all the time. terms and price are hard to set, i have loaned to have the bull to keep him busy when i don't need him, out of my breeding seasons, i take care of health and care and hauling.
if i was dealing with someone i didn't know very well i would be hesitant to get into that. i want to see and know what is going on. i loaned my bull to a family member and he let him get thin and didn't take good care of him.

Do a search on brucelosis, trichomoniasis, vibriosis, genital warts, BVD, Johnes, just to get you started and rethink carefully before making the final decision.

Other than the obvious health risk there is also another thing to consider. Bulls that are moved from herd to herd will sooner or later encounter less than perfect fences, this might just give them the idea that they can get through a fence if they want to. Face it if a mature bulls wants to be on the other side of the fence the fence itself is hardly going to slow him down. So part of the young bull's education is to respect fences since he learns from calfhood that he can't get through a fence and tends to remember that if he only encounters good fences, it will take only one cow that don't respect fences and a few poor fences for encouragement to teach him that he can get through and create a whole new problem for you.

all very good points. some of you may know the bull in question as i have posted pics recently and have been advised that he is a little posty and possible not worth breeding from. so from the point of view that i may be looking for a new heard sire can you give me an idea of what i should charge for this service if i agree

$15-20 per head or $300-$400 depending on how you want to do it and they pay all the expenses.

Not to suggest I would do it if you're going to return him to your herd. If he's going to the salebarn when he's done over there . . . that's a different story.

Do you know the people? Seen their place? Is it close enough that you will actually be able to see your bull on a regular basis?? Be very cautious. Brother let out a young bull to a "friend of a friend" and he came home sick, lame and skin and bones. Never recovered.

If I remember right you are the one who just acquired some registered herefords? This actually may work out well for you. I think $25 per head is good, and if he has 30 cows thats $750. After he's done breeding this guys cows take him to the sale barn. I don't know what the market is like in Europe, but even if you only make somewhere around 900 you are still up 1650 that you didn't have. Then use that money and put it towards a better registered bull for your cows next year.

Latest posts