Bull Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose

Reaction score
I have about a 2 month old bull that has been very sick since I bought him. He acts like he as NO energy and lays down most of the day. Also he is a wee bit skinny, he really dont eat all that much. He coughs quit a bite and it sounds like there is fluid or mucus or something in his throat and/or lungs. Is this pneumonia? If not what else could it be and what medicine is there for it. I have given him 2 doses of penicilin, 2 doses or NuFlor, and 2 doses of benimin I believe it was. This was all over a period of time of course.

hi,
have some questions,
did you buy for an auction? or farmer?
Did it get colostrum from the mom or from a powder?
did the mom have vaccinations?

What is it's temperature?
What is it's poo like?
What is it eating now? and how much? bottle fed? or on a nurse cow?

I got it from an auction, so I have no clue about its moma. It doesnt have a fever that I know of. He was kinda constipated when we got him, but he drinks more then he eats, so he finally went, although I had to help him, it was dark drown, almost black and kinda hard, not like regular poop thats for sure. Hes got a mix of calf feed/beef grower/sweet feed he goes to the bunk but he just acts like he has no energy, he dont want to do anything. He dont want to chew, all he want to do is lay there. His eyes are kinda droopy. He eats just a little bit a day, but the heifers that we got at the same time are really good and healthy and they eat about the same amount as him.

EDIT: To the looks of it, I would think he needs some milk, I mean just by looking at his size, we havent tryed to give him any, but I have try getting him to suck on my finger and stuff, just to see if he would suck, but he just shys away from it.

sounds like he is kinda constipated. Is it still like that? Might need some mineral oil as a drench to get him working again. How much milk does he get?
I had a problem with a bottle twin. Posted in this health blog. Check it out, some of the answers might help you. it's titled "another question about the twins"
One of the replys said that the bulls, steers require more milk than heiffers.
Ours had a throaty cough while drinking his milk, now it pretty much as gone away. with the increase in milk his appetite increased for the grain. He got more spunk and energy and his eyes are much brighter. we also switched from the cheap replacer to the 20/20 plus the dairy grain which he was getting free choice from day one.
check that post for the ideas others gave me.
But if his poo is hard and dark he might have gotten dehydrated like humans do and now needs a kick start of mineral oil and maybe electrolytes to re balance his system.
After reaading your edit here is mine, drench eith mineral oil and electrolytes. Mix the electrlyes 2L and add about a cup full maybe a bit more and drench him.

Yeah, see that exactly what I was thinking. He got dehydrated, but he has been drinking quit a bite. He went on his own today, I seen him. It was only 1 turd though. I didnt look at it, cuase he was turned out becuase I want to see if he would eat grass. This is a pretty n00bie question, but about how much should a bull weigh when he is weaned? Just a rough estimate?

EDIT: 1 cup of Mineral Oil?

honest, i don't know hhow much mineral oil. When i make a drench bag for a cow or calf i think how bad does it need it and go fron there. If any one knows how much that would be good.
the electolytes will help to re balance his system much like gatorade does for us, even seen posted some one used on a pinch, or pedia sure does for babies.
So even though he is drinking water he could be out of balance and the water might not be getting to where it needs to go. I think its called acidiosus(sp)...

Bull weight weaned depends on how long on the cow 6 mo about 500#
You said newbie...don't take this wrong...do you know how to drench?

Nope never had to do it before. I guess just get some in a syringe with no needle and squirt it in its mouth, either that or just use a spoon, lol.

That will work , the syringe, do it slowly though, cause he will fight, don't want to get it into the lungs.
We have attached a rubber hose...like on field sprayers but thinner to a syringe and then drenched like that. but you have to be real carefull not to get it into his lungs REAL BAD NEWS.
But i would recommend going to the vets and getting a drench bag for calves.
There are two kinds. one with a big end like a large marble and the other has a contoured end. more narrow , that;s the good one for calves.
sould have one on hand for things like this and them get the vet to teach you.

Here is what my husband and i do.

He sits on the calf and holds his head upward and inserts the tube slowly, trying to get the calf to swallow it. I hold the bag and have one hand on his neck. If i can feel the tube pass then it's in the esophagus, if not it's in the lungs. If it's in the lungs, pull out gently and then try again. take your time. If you are sure it's in the gut open the bag slowly and if he cough's and sputters stop...in the lung. If he just fights, more than likely in the gut.
When done remove slowly. If there is still some in the bag and it's not going in his gut is full.
I should mention when my husband is sitting on the calf, he takes the tube and measures from the muzzle to the start of the chest . then he knows about how far he has to go with the tube before i feel it go past my hand.
Good luck

Mongoose":3d94rvoo said:
EDIT: To the looks of it, I would think he needs some milk, I mean just by looking at his size, we havent tryed to give him any, but I have try getting him to suck on my finger and stuff, just to see if he would suck, but he just shys away from it.

FWIW, a cow-raised calf has no idea what a bottle is, and has no instinct telling him to go over and suck on a human's hand or a rubber nipple. Fill up a bottle with milk replacer, catch and straddle the little guy, and stick that nipple in his mouth. Have to show them what a bottle is.

How long ago did you get him?

I think I will use the syringe, I can just barely put it in and he will swallow it. But hey thanks for all the good advice and info.

8)

I'd give him about 10cc's Vit B IM, and put him on milk replacer, do as milkmaid said, straddle him, and get him to drinking. You said you thought he was 2 months, my guess he is younger and just needs more nourishment.

GMN

I wouldn't doubt if someone put something in him to lock him up.I have heard of people doing that to a scouring calf before.Then sell as fast as they can .Then its your problem when and if it does scour again. I would say you probably have more problems here than just the lock up.

Please be careful and not use a syringe with any kind of oil into the mouth of that little guy... he will have residual in his mouth, suck it into his lungs where it will collect crud and get pneumonia... ONLY give oils through a tube

...you might try blowing on the tube after insertion... if he coughs... you're in the lungs...

...if you hear bubbles, your in the stomach

...if you're not going to use a stainless tube and are using some sort of flexible tubing, cut off a piece of 12" PVC pipe and clean it to have over the tubing in the little guys mouth so he doesn't bite off the tubing and swallow it (the 12" length is to give your hand something to hold onto while 6" is in the mouth keeping him from chomping it off).

...please be careful if you do this and if you're not sure -- call someone who knows how to do this (a vet or rancher nearby).

Good luck to you and the little guy.

Thats what we thought from the begining was that he just needed more nurioshment. Well, called the vet about 2 days ago and just told him what was going on and if he had any suggestions on what to give him. He said yeah it happens all the time with calves in his age group when they dont get enough nourisment. He said to give him some Vitamin B complex and Vitamin A-D combo. These go together. He said hes got a viral infection from not getting enough Vitamin D and such, becuase calves like that need ALOT of vitamins, but D the most. He said the B-Complex would clean him out in a hurry and the A-D would give him the other things he needed, so this hole thing and all he needed was some vitamins...:) This is the second day and he is doing better. He is eating more, and going to the bathroom alot easier now. He is still not fully back to normal, but I think he will be ok.

Thanks for all the help, I think I might stick around these forums awhile. :D

Latest posts